• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: North American Anime, Manga Releases, July 18-24

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Any updates on the Slayers license releases? I'm not interested in a big omnibus hardcover release because I can't carry it around as easily, so I was hoping for smaller releases.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Damn I still haven't read the first two volumes of Jack Flash and the third one is already out, I'm falling behind.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Any updates on the Slayers license releases? I'm not interested in a big omnibus hardcover release because I can't carry it around as easily, so I was hoping for smaller releases.
I think there is a digital release but if you're like me and prefer real paper I don't think so. However unlike you I like omnibus and/or Hardcover but that's because I do my reading at home most of the time.

The Yakuza's Guide to Babysitting seems right up my ally along with The Whole of Humanity Has Gone Yuri Except for Me and I hope ANN reviews at least one of them.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

They’re not gonna release it in singles right after putting it in a deluxe hardcover edition, not unless the hardcover sells exceptionally well (like a Shonen manga kind of sales, which isn’t gonna happen). Also the individual books are really small, like 130 pages each. So the omnibus is only about 400-450 pages, similar to Vertical’s Katanagatari hardcovers.
DQBunny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

I just got my copy today, and it's actually smaller than I thought it would be. Nowhere near as tiny as the original light novels, but small enough for me to tuck in my purse and carry around. It's about as thick as a traditional hardcover novel. It's nothing like say one of the Viz omnibuses.

The ebook releases have been going pretty swiftly. They're releasing vol. 10 now, and we're into material that wasn't translated by TokyoPop back in the day.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused; is the original Battle Angel coming in print form? I just did some perusing for it, and it seemed to be digital-only, but then this article has it in the print section. Is that a confusion with Mars Chronicle?
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
I'm confused; is the original Battle Angel coming in print form? I just did some perusing for it, and it seemed to be digital-only, but then this article has it in the print section. Is that a confusion with Mars Chronicle?

The original Alita manga was retranslated and released in 6 deluxe English hardcovers back in like 2017/2018.

Kodansha is now re-releasing the original manga in cheaper paperback volumes (also 6 books total). https://kodansha.us/volume/battle-angel-alita-1-paperback/
However, it seems the first volume was delayed to August 3rd instead of the listed July 20th date.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1