• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE Leaves VRV Streaming Service Bundle on September 30

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:56 am Reply with quote
Damn, Sony strike again Crying or Very sad . They better add Funimation on VRV soon.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:07 am Reply with quote
Well, it was to be expected (given Sony having both Funi/CR now), though it would have been nice if all 3 platforms (Funi/CR/HIDIVE) would have been on the service for one low monthly VRV premium price. But oh well...

But yeah, basically after HIDIVE leaves the VRV service, all it is just CR (and other channels) on the platform, not sure if this means Funi content is coming back to VRV (and/or CR, when they used to have Funi's titles streamed). But given that Funi said before they would want to do a unified sub service with CR, I'm not sure how long VRV has at this point. (That is, if they bring back the Funi service on there.)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:59 am Reply with quote
I was hoping they would have Funimation, VRV, and Crunchyroll on one site but I guess the monopoly means we have to pay for more streaming apps even when there's less competition. I do hope Sentai will take this as a chance to be more competitive to make subscribing to them worth it. I liked having their catalog in a Crunchyroll package but I don't know if it's worth it to get HiDive on it's own for one or two simulcast shows per season and most of the time it's a mid fanservice show I don't care about. I will probably have to get it eventually for Made in Abyss s2. It would be nice if HiDive would offer like a VRV subscribers discount price or something but nope we have to pay full price again for another streaming app. And I'm still kind of annoyed HiDive never fixed their double subtitle error I kept getting on the VRV app.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:12 am Reply with quote
This whole Sony situation really, really sucks.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:07 am Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Well, it was to be expected (given Sony having both Funi/CR now), though it would have been nice if all 3 platforms (Funi/CR/HIDIVE) would have been on the service for one low monthly VRV premium price. But oh well...

But yeah, basically after HIDIVE leaves the VRV service, all it is just CR (and other channels) on the platform, not sure if this means Funi content is coming back to VRV (and/or CR, when they used to have Funi's titles streamed). But given that Funi said before they would want to do a unified sub service with CR, I'm not sure how long VRV has at this point. (That is, if they bring back the Funi service on there.)

Do we know if the other lttermedia/elation properties on VRV such as Roosterteeth were part of the crunchyroll deal? If it wasn't then I can definitely see VRV folding rather than putting Funimation on it.
Picky33

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:29 am Reply with quote
I subscribe to all the services separately (CR, Funimation, Hi-Dive) becasue i was locked into a lower rate, but i received an email from Hi-Dive last week saying they are raising the cost of there streaming platforms, so that combined with this news feels like a double whammy.

What i think is going to happen is CrunchyRoll will become a brand of Funimation, so Funimation will do all the distribution and CR will be the streaming arm of Funimation aka "check out X title streaming on our CR streaming service brought to you by Funimation"

Hi-Dive I believe has been going on a spending spree for new titles to try and claw some of the market share away from Funi-CR, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and will definitely reflect in the next 2 seasons (winter, spring).
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:33 am Reply with quote
Well that really sucks. Unless FUNi comes back to VRV like before, the question of why have VRV is definitely going to be asked. I can’t imagine stuff like Rooster Teeth sticking around, but at least that stuff will be on HBO Max.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:50 am Reply with quote
Well, I’ve been using VRV to watch anime on HIDIVE, but I guess it’s time to buy a subscription to HIDIVE itself.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:27 am Reply with quote
Yeah this would have been too good to be true, the Big Three under one subscription would have been great though.
immortal1982

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:05 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
[

Do we know if the other lttermedia/elation properties on VRV such as Roosterteeth were part of the crunchyroll deal? If it wasn't then I can definitely see VRV folding rather than putting Funimation on it.

AFAIK, Crunchyroll was the only division sold. Roosterteeth(especially the internal animation studio) is being proped to be a subdivision of WB animation.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:21 am Reply with quote
I don't think anyone is surprised by this. HiDive slid in there not long after the Funi/CR partnership ended, and now they are owned by the same company, so Ellation doesn't have the same incentive to keep that going. It didn't say so in this article, but I'm not going to be surprised if we see an announcement that Funimaiton will be on VRV. If that does happen, the question I would have is whether that will be considered good enough for consolidating the streaming services, or if they will eventually make a combined CR/Funi streaming service?
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
NeoStrayCat wrote:

Roosterteeth is still owned by Warnermedia and will be shutdown within months of Discovery CEO David Zaslav takes over as he has stated he only wants the turner channels and HBO all the Warner stuff the film studios and Warner interactive will be sold/shut down piecemeal.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:36 am Reply with quote
Considering how many shows are being added to the Funimation catalogue now, I don't see VRV lasting. By removing VRV, it sort of kills a lifeline for the smaller streaming services, and if they go under, Sony can just buy that out and own more of the industry. FuniRoll basically has nearly every big anime out there, there is no reason to get Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:24 pm Reply with quote
What a bummer, there are only anime on vrv/Hdive has that funimation/crunchyroll does not have like: Princess Principle or Bloom into You, etc. Now it seems if we want anime like the ones i mention we have to subscribe to hidive
Setis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Well that sucks, considering HIDIVE has never had an app on the Playstation platforms, which is why I subscribed to VRV (the occasional CR dub was a bonus). Though considering VRV hasn't brought their app to PS5 either maybe it's for the best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2