• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hideaki Anno Supervises Remastered Shin Complete Thunderbirds TV Compilation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Seems that Anno really loves to put a "Shin" to everything: Shin Evangelion, Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, Shin Kamen Rider. What's next, Shin Super Sentai? Shin Gamera? Laughing
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:25 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Seems that Anno really loves to put a "Shin" to everything: Shin Evangelion, Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, Shin Kamen Rider. What's next, Shin Super Sentai? Shin Gamera? Laughing

Anno really making a name for himself in tokusatsu...and now puppet animation with Thunderbirds.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:46 am Reply with quote
I love Thunderbirds. Seeing it uses puppets, I assume this is the original series instead of its remake.
Netero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The series was remade into the Kagaku Kyujotai Techno Voyager television anime series in 1982

As far as I was aware, the only connection between Techno Voyager and Thunderbirds was the name Thunderbirds being used in the title of Techno Voyager's English dub version.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The original materials for the 1985 compilation were discovered in a Tohokushinsha Film Corporation warehouse
Well that explains why the remaster is coming from Japan. I was a bit confused at first by the news.
luisedgarf wrote:
I'm correct in thinking that Shin is Japanese for New?.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:36 am Reply with quote
Remembering the great Thunderbirds special exhibition at the Miraikan, Odaiba, Tokyo back in 2013:

JintoLin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:47 am Reply with quote
If Anno's doing it, it can only mean one thing:
"Get in the Thunderbird, Scott!"
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:37 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Yes
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:48 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Yes

The proper answer would be "Yes & No", because "Shin" has multiple connotations in Japanese. The kanji 新 means "New", yes, but the kanji 芯 can mean "Core", 真 means "True", 信 means "Trust", 親 means "Intimacy", 疹 can mean "Eruption", 心 means "Heart", & 神 means "God", and they can all be pronounced as "Shin" in Japanese (also, there are plenty of other kanji I could have listed).

Anno, though, uses シン in katakana for all of his "Shin" works, specifically so that it's connotation can be up to the viewer themselves to decide. Does Anno mean "New", "True", "God", or something else? The answer is whatever you feel it means.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:07 am Reply with quote
SOS, Mr. Tracy the Western world is falling…
SOS, International Rescue hear us calling…

Yeah, the song is from Terrahawks but it’s a big Thunderbirds reference. Thunderbirds and Japan have always had a friendly relationship admittedly.
Remember when Shoji Kawamori designed Thunderbird Shadow for the remake?

Also Anno really is living his best life post-EVA.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
It's kind of fascinating that the Thunderbirds is kind of cult classic in Japan, I remember a couple of years ago Shoji Kawamori, the creator of Macross, designed a vehicle for the Thunderbirds reboot. Thomas the Tank Engine is another British puppet show that is popular in Japan as well. That makes me wonder, is Dr. Who a thing in Japan? I know some other British science-fiction shows like UFO and Space: 1999 were popular in Japan, and were even referenced in shows like Otaku no Video and Evangelion. But, although I don't know much about Dr. Who, it seems that its popularity has gotten bigger in the past decade, and I guess it would be considered a Tokusatsu show in Japan.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:44 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
It's kind of fascinating that the Thunderbirds is kind of cult classic in Japan, I remember a couple of years ago Shoji Kawamori, the creator of Macross, designed a vehicle for the Thunderbirds reboot. Thomas the Tank Engine is another British puppet show that is popular in Japan as well. That makes me wonder, is Dr. Who a thing in Japan? I know some other British science-fiction shows like UFO and Space: 1999 were popular in Japan, and were even referenced in shows like Otaku no Video and Evangelion. But, although I don't know much about Dr. Who, it seems that its popularity has gotten bigger in the past decade, and I guess it would be considered a Tokusatsu show in Japan.

I remember back in the day double taking when I saw this in Renkin San-kyuu Magical? Pokaan.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Interesting news.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:25 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:

I remember back in the day double taking when I saw this in Renkin San-kyuu Magical? Pokaan.

Anime Dwayne Dibbley! Well spotted! That's given me a good laugh to start the day off.

On topic again, I've often thought there's a lot of anime (and probably tokusatsu) that owes a great debt to the works of the late Gerry Anderson and his team.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:04 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

Shin Super Sentai (or, more specifically, Shin Gorenger) seems inevitable at this point. Maybe around 2025/2026 for the 50th anniversary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2