• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs Light Novels Get TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:20 am Reply with quote
I was wondering why it wasn't announced yet but it seems like it was already in work for a while Smile
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:00 pm Reply with quote
What's with their eyes???
Shiawase_Rina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh I have read that one for some time!
Wasn't my thing, but good for the fans.

To those who are interested in the otome game aspect of the setting: don't expect anything
I thought it would be more like the other "straight dude got thrown into an otome game" stories I read, which I found hilarious. This one tho feels like it has nothing to do with an otome game. I wonder why the author chose this setting when they didn't want to do anything with it? spoiler[Just to let the generic OP MC beat up the original love interests?]

It's a fresh isekai setting for a male demographic on the other hand, I think. Just doesn't appeal to me.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I remember the review here not being too kind to the novel, but I'll probably see how this turns out just for the otome game gimmick
Kami-koto

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:51 pm Reply with quote
What the hell happened to the character designs?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I've seen this advertised around, so not too surprising it's getting an anime. I'm getting kind of a My Next Life as a Villainess vibe where the protagonist gets Isekai-ed into an Otome game they played and end up usurping/deviating from the game plot (albeit more intentionally here than Bakarina did) although since it's a guy it probably means going up against the male targets and stealing all the girls .

(Of course I've also heard there's not much actual romance in this, so not sure what to expect ).
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
eh more revenge plot like shield
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:23 pm Reply with quote
This actually started out pretty solid in the light novels but later on sadly derails really hard with many of the characters being unlikeable.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
eh more revenge plot like shield

Eh there actually not much revenge in the plot, the main guy just doesn't want to get drag into the main plot of the game but keep getting drag into it again his will.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I guess, that's one anime adaptation TO BE SKIPPED. Let's not kid ourselves, the entire raison d'etre of this show is to peddle cute girls. Yet this anime spectacularly failed to do it.
Florete

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:19 pm Reply with quote
All I can think is that does not look like an otome game.

Last edited by Florete on Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
gridsleep

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
What's with their eyes???

Never mind the eyes. What's with the ridiculous tailoring of the jackets? Those are school uniforms? When did Japanese manga artists become so breast obsessed? There is a line that impressed me from Ursula K. LeGuin's The Dispossessed: "Were all Urasti cabinet makers celibate?"
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:27 pm Reply with quote
The end of the PV makes it look like a revenge edgy show, which for some reason doesn't fit with what I'm reading in the synopsis and other comments in this thread. It also doesn't look like it has anything to do with how otome games actually work.

And also, bug eyes...
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:30 pm Reply with quote
FiendHunter wrote:
The end of the PV makes it look like a revenge edgy show, which for some reason doesn't fit with what I'm reading in the synopsis and other comments in this thread. It also doesn't look like it has anything to do with how otome games actually work.

And also, bug eyes...

I wouldn't even call this game an Otome game, basically it;s a Pay -to-win turn base combat Otome game. MC got reincarnated as an NPC who want to be left alone but keep failing to fail and end up in ever more important positions.
BonelessChicken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
I guess, that's one anime adaptation TO BE SKIPPED. Let's not kid ourselves, the entire raison d'etre of this show is to peddle cute girls. Yet this anime spectacularly failed to do it.
did you only see the visual teaser? I had the same thought but after watching the PV, the poster doesn't do justice especially for Livia and Angelica. I think it's quite the opposite, It's an Otome game, man. The main selling point is of course the men.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3