• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ace of Diamond (TV) (All Seasons).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:54 pm Reply with quote

So Ep. 38, at the Tokyo Tournament, in the top of the 9th of Game 1 the score was 5-4 for the Wynd Youth team. By Ep. 39, they're in the top of the 2nd in Game 2, but never told us who won the first game! In this episode, we don't check in with them at all. The whole episode is about the pitchers' duel between Sawamura and Seiho's Saint Seiya, he of the "nice butt." I only mention that because the peanut gallery specifically marveled at it - twice. But can you blame them?

They're equally enamored of his thighs. Actually, this may be one of the most homoerotic episodes since Amahisa-boy was mildly worried about having the hots for Todoroki. Laughing Seiya says Sawamura got him excited, Sawamura says he won't be beaten in desire, the subs say 3rd years have intensity up the wazoo, the crowds says Seiya's too huge, bigger, stronger and "ready to burst!" The dialog is just chock full of double entendres, mostly innocent, but I just can't help but think they were having fun sneaking all this in. There's even a nice fan service shot of Sawamura chugging from a cup (and they even animated it, dribbles and all!).

(click for larger image)

Anyway, all that aside, it was a good episode with Sawamura really stepping up and holding them scoreless for 6 innings (even with the 2nd string backing him), which is all we get till next week. Lol at Sawamura shouting out the batting strategy to Wolf Boy and driving him "nuts." And nice throw home from center, Asou!

So we've had this OP since episode 30 and I can't believe I only noticed this now:

(click for larger image)

So why is Miyuki the only one with his face crossed out by a light beam? That's a very odd way to treat one of the main characters by accident. In another series that would be a death flag, but I can't imagine they'd kill him or give him a career-ending injury (though that's been flagged too, with Sawamura teasing him that he gets injured easily). I'm hoping it's just a reference to his being away at the Tokyo Tournament. Then again, the last image of him in the last frame of the new ED also has half his face and left shoulder cut off. Trying not to be alarmed here, but this is weird. Shocked
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say, I'm kinda disappointed that of the 20-30 people reading this thread, still not one person was moved to post by either the hilarious fan service last week or even to allay my concerns about the Miyuki flags. Dang, you're a stone-hearted bunch. Confused

Masashi finally hit a homer, but I didn't get why they decided to troll him with the silent treatment afterward. But maybe this is a thing, since even he knew what was going on. Of course Sawamura never got the memo.

I'm also not sure if Sawamura was trolling Okumura the same way during their meeting on the mound or not. The silent hold went on too long, but then dipped into a flashback and came out with Sawamura all grins like nothing had happened. If he'd been trying to troll him, he'd have made a big deal out of it. But lack of clarity is what happens when you build your anime on stills. Anyway, it's always funny watching Wolf Boy try to figure out Sawamura and keep getting surprised. I think "Get your loincloth on straight" is not something anyone would expect to hear from their teammate, even in Japan.

And then Sawamura goes to pieces. But this time he manages to right his ship and only lose one run. And the first string are just itching to get out on the field and back him up, which was really gratifying all around. Nice work with the slow and steady character progression that has led everyone here to finally form a real team behind an Ace.

So it turns out that Japan tied in the first game of the Tokyo gig (not sure how that happens in baseball, but whatever) and lost the second one 3-2. I'm still not sure that I buy that a pick-up team of random kids from L.A. would beat the best 3rd years in Tokyo, but anything can happen in baseball. It was a fun touch with the Wynd kids getting so jazzed about Miyuki passing out Japanese Hi-Chews (even though they're "Dadgers" fans). Apparently when Junichi Tazawa joined the Red Sox, he stocked the bullpen with Hi-Chews, and they were such a hit that he couldn't keep up with demand, so he asked the Morinaga company to supply them. I'm pretty sure this is a nod to that, and not just name-dropping.

Miyuki really is an antisocial little shit. Laughing As everyone is saying their goodbyes and laughing together regardless of teams, this is Miyuki's attitude:

I don't even know who he's glaring at.

Back in episode 30 I said, "They did something new this episode, with showing the key character in full resolution, while all the background characters are washed-out ghosts. It was pretty nice, but I have a feeling they're going to overuse that..." Well, boy howdy did that prediction come true. There was so much white backgrounds and blinding highlighting it was starting to feel like they were all dead and playing in Heaven. I'll give them this one though - sweet shot of Okumura with Miyuki's ghost (see? more death flags!!! Shocked):

(click for larger image)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:31 am Reply with quote

I really enjoyed this episode start to finish. Not much baseball action, but lots of neat little character interactions.

Starting with Miyuki having to ride the train home with the Inashiro guys. Awk-ward... Miyuki decides to do the honorable thing and let Mei know he's got a tell giving away his pitches. Mei says, ha, you fell for it, I was hoping you'd think it was real, but didn't think you'd let me know. Miyuki counters that of course he'd tell him, any other team would pick it up too. Then Mei realizes that since that ploy has failed, he's shown him his pitches for nothing. The interplay between the two was so much fun, ending with Miyuki sweating that he'd come pretty close to doing what Mei planned.

No, wait. Their conversation actually ended with Mei saying, "It's a fight to the death," and Miyuki standing alone at the station, literally spotlighted from above as Mei waves goodbye. Nooooo!! No more flags!

So Seidou won the game, though Sawamura got pulled in the 8th. He seems to be being set up for something too, what with Nori noticing how much he was sweating 2 episodes ago, and him feeling irked at how tired he was after only 115 pitches, and then going to bed early.

I always enjoy the little conferences between Miyuki and Okumura. But just as it's getting interesting, of course Sawamura comes lobbing in without knocking. As Miyuki observes, "He says what he wants, asks what he wants, and then leaves like a storm." What was so neat about the whole scene was that when Miyuki praised him, not only did he not freak out, but he shared the praise with the team and particularly Okumura. Boy's finally growing up a little. Smile

Elsewhere, Furuya, lying in his bed like it's a coffin, suggests forming a battery with Yui, which is nice. I think they both need the support and a little stability in their game. Furuya's even willing to throw where he can catch it, but Yui wants to be able to catch whatever he throws, and actually says so instead of just thinking it (though Furuya may have fallen asleep before he heard it), so they seem off to a good start.

More fun watching all their classmates watching the team members. I didn't understand why Wataru was so stunned at Haruichi and Toujou's batting chat though. It didn't sound that complicated to me. But the best part was Kuramochi being super impressed that Miyuki handed out the Hi-Chews to the Wynd guys, asking if he spoke English to them. Sez Miyuki, "We didn't need words. Hi-Chew is a universal language." Laughing Did they get a new sponsor?

So they've picked the 20 now. While I'm sad that Seto didn't make it, he's got more chances, so I'm most sad that 3rd year Watanabe didn't, despite his knowing that he probably never would. I guess I was sad to see him crying about it. I also feel bad for Kataoka, who has to go through this every year.

I know it's useless to ask, but does anyone recognize this poster in Miyuki's room? It looks like it's from something real. Also the bear is really cute.

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:15 am Reply with quote

Ochiai showing some uncharacteristic respect for Kataoka's inspiring the whole team, even the benched players. As usual, his facial expressions do not match what he's saying, though this time he got the shivers, so I guess he was being sincere.

New training camp, pretty much same as the old training camp, but more from the perspective of the new first years. I don't hate that, but it feels like just one more thing where this season fails to bring it like the previous seasons. At least we got some good comic relief from everyone taking a break to rag on Sawamura trying to choke down some natto (was this the payoff for all the setup about his stamina?).

... natto hell ...

Then some nekkid fan service in the baths, followed by a nice party scene in Sawamura's room. Masashi even ropes Miyuki into a game of shogi, following ancient family traditions. Also some daily classroom struggles thrown in for more humor.

And Sawamura gets the nod for the Kokonoe game, which, if the third years are right, means we're on the verge of a title drop. Take us out with the song of your people, Sawamura and Kuramochi! Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:13 am Reply with quote

This might as well have been a recap episode. Same as last season, just with different faces in the roles. What wasn't recycled from flashbacks looks like it was farmed out to the third string artists, since pretty much everyone was off-model all the time. I guess that's fine since nothing happened anyway, and people have to learn somehow.

Most notable things:
Furuya actually smiled! It looked like crap because of the aforementioned off-model-ness, but I don't recall ever seeing him smile before, except in his blissed-out chibi form. Certainly not in response to actual humor.

Much was made of the Furuya/Yui battery, but other than the bullpen in one ep, nothing much seems to have come of it since. Yui is to the point of feeling like the team doesn't need him as a catcher at all.

Miyuki and Kataoka had a nice chat in his office, where the latter confessed he's never been satisfied at Koshien.

Looks like one of, if not the first team they'll face in their bracket is Yura Sogo, coached by Kataoka's mentor Sakaki. Like no one saw that coming...

But they still need to play the Kokonoe game, which I hope is what they were saving the first-string animators for. They're perfectly capable of dragging that one game out to finish the season, but they might whip that out in one or two episodes and end it with playing Yura Sogo. I wonder if it'll get an extension like it did with the first season? I wouldn't mind if they took a cour or two off to give the manga more lead time, if they used the breathing room to actually animate the series.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:14 am Reply with quote

Well, I guessed wrong. We hardly got any of the Kokonoe game (Seido 4-2). We did get a little Sawamura/Miyuki confab on the mound and another chibi-death-flag for Miyuki, thinking, "As long as I'm crouched in front of you, I'll help you pitch your best." Jeez, he might as well just say, "As soon as I return from the war, I'll ask you to marry me." Also we get Ono giving his kohai valuable advice and encouragement. "I haven't spent years sitting on the bench for nothing!" And he even manages to say that with a sparkle and a smile.

So it looks like they're jumping straight into the Tokyo qualifiers. When I say "straight," I mean in Act II's usual style of bouncing all over the place between pre-game, school, stadium, flashbacks and anywhere else they feel like going to avoid getting on with it. Also it looks like the probable game against Sakaki's team will be in the third round.

In the meantime, we finally get the long-awaited title drop. It only took 171 episodes to get there, but Sawamura is finally the Ace of Diamond. This should have been a hugely dramatic moment, but somehow they managed to suck all the joy out of it. Instead of a steady build-up of "Who will be chosen?" they blunted it with the bouncing around shit, giving it away by the crowd reaction as the team showed up at Meiji Stadium, backtracking to Coach revealing it to staff, and then, 12 min into the episode, running the OP (which for this episode was "Go Exceed!!" with, I think, a new set of visuals recapping Sawamura's journey). Only then do we get the scene of Sawamura and the team learning who got the nod. I just think it would've had more impact if we could've shared the news with him when it was still news to us.

I do feel bad for Furuya. He's shown a lot of growth in the last year, but his injuries kinda put a nail in the coffin of his Ace status. He's just had to spend too much time getting back to zero (he even ruefully comments that he's got the same number he started with a year ago. Ouch). But he was gracious enough to congratulate Sawamura, even if he did try to get them to fold the 11 tag before sewing it on.

And of course he and Okumura pass out on opening day from the heat and crowds. Smile And that wraps it up, ending with the normal OP this time, but with changed graphics showing Sawamura with his Ace number.

bllanosr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked the way they presented that Sawamura was the ace this episode and tournament. The whole team number announcement scene takes too long and the crying scene at the end has been done twice already. Also, I agree that they will be phasing out Miyuki since he's a 3rd year and this will be his last season I think.It might have taken Sawamura this long to become the ace, but that whole enduring theme is part of most sports anime.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:17 am Reply with quote
A post! Shocked

I don't remember any crying after the number announcements, only after the 20 player cut. But I'm glad it worked for you. And of course Miyuki will be gone after summer, but I just don't like all these weird little hints that something could happen before then. Confused

I really enjoyed all the teams meeting up and their quirky interactions, especially Todoroki declaring the order of everyone he plans to beat - and I relate to him, since I don't have a cell phone either. I wonder if it's because he's too focused on baseball, too shy, or just can't afford it?

And Nori stepping up and demanding some Miyuki time! It's so nice to see him acting confident. Quite a difference from the terrified face he wore back in episode 1.

Poor Kanemaru, so wanting some recognition from his classmates, but too self-contained to get noticed. And Masashi actually catching a ball in the field! Now if Sawamura can just keep from self-destructing before the Yura Sogo game (I forgot Seido was seeded, so they don't have to play until the 3rd round).

I had to laugh when Rei observed "They're all moving well," and then the next shot of Sawamura and Furuya trotting across the field was so crudely animated that they looked like arthritic old men stiffly cripping along. Anyway, I like any episode that has good character bits, and this one had a lot of them.

Kuramochi just never stops being evil. Twisted Evil

(click for larger image)
That's "Sawamura" written in hirigana (さわむら).

Btw, I had my first taste of Hi-Chews today (strawberry!). They're actually really good! Very chewy!!! Can't wait to try the dragon fruit ones. Miyuki knows best!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:01 am Reply with quote

Starting off with Inashiro taking down their opponent in 5 innings. For a third round game, that's gotta hurt.

Everyone's rightly worried about Sawamura getting some sleep, with Miyuki even offering up one of his bizarre sleep masks (fun fact - Miyuki has never appeared in the anime or manga without glasses or something over his eyes - I hope we get to see that before they kill him off). Then Sawamura and Kuramochi get into an action-packed argument over him wearing his jersey to bed again. We know it's action-packed because what's on screen is a static image of a stereo with distorting speed lines followed by a long hold on Asada's perpetually shocked face.

But it's Kuramochi who can't sleep, with last year's loss weighing heavily on him, now that he's a third year. Sad

I was kind of surprised that they actually got the game started this episode. I was not surprised that Sawamura whiffed right out of the gate. They've done that to him twice now, so it would've been nice if they'd have let him have at least one decent pitch to start, but at least he didn't fall down this time. The play off the bunt actually wasn't bad, but there was no reason for him to overthrow it to first. Oh well, the author loves to torture him.

I loved the conference on the mound with Coach sending Furuya to shake him up - and call him Eijun to boot!!! Shocked

And Kominato saves the day for their first out finally. "You're being ridiculous. Are you still about to have a breakdown?"

The title of this episode was "Under the Feet." I have no idea what that means.

On the random crowd front, I have to say, the reporters surrounded themselves with some cuties.

Too bad he's not in focus - he has pretty eyes.

Gotta wonder what the guy in glasses did to provoke such a wary side-eye from the old guy. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:27 am Reply with quote
Wow, over 100 new page views this week! Shocked I'm guessing 3 or 4 people read all 23 pages for the first time. But sadly were not moved to comment. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It still cracks me up that Sawamura calls Yui "Yui-shounen," as if he's ten years older instead of one. I'm still not clear on what it was he wanted him to do to help him shake off his nerves.

Sawamura kinda dug his own grave in his debut, but you'd think Kuramochi getting a triple off Kitakawa's very first pitch would shake the latter up a little. Especially with Kominato following with a double on his second pitch. Looks like Watanabe's scouting paid off big time.

I really like Nabe, so it was heartwarming to see his joy at catching the outfield fly in the 3rd year send-off practice for the non-starters. I wonder how long they had to stay out there before Seki finally caught one? (ooh, bad Gina, that was mean)

So after Sawamura's 4th walk of the game, to everyone's shock (except loyal viewers who've been through this several times now) Coach pulls him out in the top of the 4th and sends in Kawakami. ::sigh::

I finally figured out the title from last week. I guess it refers to Sakaki's comment this week about pulling the rug from under Kataoka's feet.

Heh, given Yūji Terajima's ongoing torture of Sawamura, I suppose it's fitting that one of my favorite images of him is still his St. Andrew's crucifixion pose when he's asking for backup. Twisted Evil

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:25 am Reply with quote

So Sawamura charges up the ball as Nori had done for him way back when, and Nori and Miyuki show Sakaki how it's done. Sweet! And then Miyuki goes yard with one of his rare, no-one-on bombs to drive the point home, so to speak, sparking a 4-run rally for the inning. It was obvious their pitcher was going to get lit up though, from the feral look in Miyuki's eyes and the obligatory deathflag flashback before the dinger.

After another couple of innings of getting pwned, Yura Sogo is ready to throw in the towel, but seem oddly happy about it, admiring Seido's plays and satisfied they got this far, already excitedly looking forward to the next season. Which was kinda nice compared to the anguish we usually get from losing teams. I guess Sakaki really did make baseball fun for them.

And the game, called in the 7th, ends 10-2 with a homer by Masashi. And the episode ends with a "cliffhanger" from Sakaki: "That starting pitcher..." What will he have to say? Tune in next week!

It's really weird how often they draw Kataoka on the sidelines of a game looking either emaciated, like a decrepit old man, or both. Does this look like the same man to you?

... ...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:47 am Reply with quote

"He threw while getting up and still got the out!" Sure would've been cool to see that animated! I mean c'mon, throw us a bone once in awhile. I know we're not going to see much in the way of motion even this late in the game, but when the players express their amazement, then show us something amazing!

I'm not sure if Okumura was actually trying to be a counselor for Sawamura, as Tojo and Kanemaru suggested, or if it's just his way of trying to get inside his (potential) pitcher's head to help him. He's always quizzing other players very bluntly, so it's hard to tell. And true to form, Sawamura pops off to throw him for a loop. "You're more of a husky than a wolf today!" Laughing

I guess he got him back later when watching the game footage. "Your emotions have always been a loud racket." That's a surprisingly poetic way to put it, but it's true, and matches his overall loud personality.

Ten minutes in, we finally get the rest of Sakaki's comment about Sawamura: that he reminds him of Kataoka's first games as ace. So I guess he always subconsciously saw himself in Eijun and that's why he's cut him so much slack for all his screw-ups? Anyway, I certainly do relate to Sawamura's tension at being called into the office, especially when you know you've messed up and don't know what the penalty is going to be.

I liked Miyuki's response to Okumura interrogating him about what he said to Sawamura. Basically, "Didn't work, so it doesn't matter." It does seem to be weighing on him that he didn't have the magic words to knock the nerves out of him though. I think this is like the 3rd time now he's expressed regret over that. Aaaaand, then he waves another death flag, saying that anyone not playing their best is expendable. "The same goes for a battery."

That was my reaction too.

So Yakushi's got a new pitcher, Tomobe, who seems like kind of a jerk (until we get his inevitable redeeming backstory). And now it's Ichidai vs Yakushi in the next round, which means one of them has to go. Not sure who I'm rooting for. Amahisa has kinda grown on me, but I don't like his coach. I like almost everyone on Yakushi though.

As usual, I enjoyed Miyuki's musing over Furuya's setbacks and state of mind, and marveled at how Takahiro Sakurai managed to sum up Miyuki's frustration, fears and fascination with his fragile pitchers in one brief "yare yare" that spoke volumes. I feel ya, Miyuki. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:24 am Reply with quote

So Furuya, unlike Sawamura, opens after all his trials and tribulations with one of his best innings ever. The walk-the-first-four-batters Furuya seems to be history. And we got a sweet combo play by Kominato and Kuramochi to pick off the batter at first.

The opposing team's 2nd B Kawabata is quite the little thorn in Seido's side. It's almost like this is a duel between him and all of Seido. Hence the massacre, I guess. The Cheetah gets to show off in the 3rd, milking a double out of a single and coming home a couple batters later. Then Miyuki contacts the ball, but we're not privy to the outcome, because as soon as he hits it we jump to the bottom of the 4th. Then for some reason it's revealed in a flashback that he sent it right into Kawabata's glove. I do not know what is wrong with the people who thought this was good storytelling, or a way to heighten tension. It wasn't like I was on the edge of my seat wondering what happened at that at-bat. I was mostly just confused about what inning it was.

Sawamura calls Haru-sama "Seido's black summer angel" and says that now that his eyes are open he'll never be red-faced again. I feel like there's a folklore story there that I'm not getting...

Anyway, bats explode in the 5th and 6th leaving Seido with an 8-0 lead going into the 7th, meaning Hachiya needs a couple runs to avoid a called game. Which leaves us in an odd place going into the final episode. There's no doubt Seido will win this, since Kawabata's practically playing on his own. That will probably mean we're leaving things with Sawamura looking like a chump while Furuya shines like a diamond...in an episode titled "Ace of Diamond." Huh. I wonder if they'll save further games for another season or give us the ffwd treatment like they did at the end of the 2nd season. I really am expecting a slideshow with narration so that they don't have to animate anything or pay for more than one seiyuu.

Random spectator fail: I get that they do this with mouths so they only have to animate lipflap, but this guy never speaks. So it's like they couldn't decide if they wanted a straight side or a 3/4 profile. In the process, they seem to have created a kind of mutant cyclops. Smile

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:08 pm Reply with quote

One thing I'll say for this episode is that Sawamura especially, but everybody honestly, was really on point with their face game, with Eijun the MVP for cute & innocent and fiery determination modes. Smile

Well Miyuki was right, Furuya was in rare form for sure. He's matured a lot through his trials. I read a comment elsewhere that "I thought Furuya could get a 'no-hitter', but Kawabata's back story was just too strong," which totally nailed it. Laughing But if you're going to have your "courage and hope ripped apart" then no better honor than by a sick 6-4-3 double play from the Dynamic Duo.

I also want to note that the dollop of animation they used of Furuya's pitching was very nice, to the point that I didn't even much mind that they reused it at least five times.

Moving on to watching Norikane Academy vs Ichidai Academy (not to be confused with Ichidaisan, despite the same gray uniforms and the same 市 character on their caps), they launch into an extended technical conversation about the uppercut "flyball revolution" swings that Norikane is using to whoop Ichigaku's butts. Naturally, Norikane will be their next opponent.

But that's for next season, whenever that might be. They kill some time with firing up the team and some idle chatter (lol at some newbies' shock at hearing Sawamura call the Coach "Boss"), and mentioning the Saturday games of Seiko vs Sensen, Ichidaisan vs Yakushi, and Inashiro vs somebody (if they told us, I missed it), but then leap to Seido's Sunday game without revealing the outcomes. And with Sawamura's first pitch and the title drop, it's a wrap! See you in a few years!

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:31 am Reply with quote
A couple of fun things I've run across to keep me occupied in the intervening years before the next season:

The lovely double play from the Yakushi game in Season 2, Ep. 44 is a recreation of a real life play from 5/19/11 seen here. Even the pitcher throws sidearm, and the ChiSox are wearing their pinstripes. Very Happy

I also found the stupid Anpanman ED song that Tsunematsu Ogawa keeps singing on the mound. Here it is, in all its repetitious glory. I think the title is "Anpanman Gymnastics."
Edit: ok they took that link down, but if you search the title, you can find other versions. Here's one that's truly in the spirit of Ogawa's singing. Smile

Ok, I apologize for doing that to you. Here, let me make it up to you. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 23 of 23