• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyle McCarley May Not Star in Mob Psycho 100 III Anime Due to Disagreement with Crunchyroll ab

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:30 pm Reply with quote
No real surprise here. My guess is that signing one person on a union contract opens up at least that production to having to do it for everyone. Considering how quickly the bulk of recording shifted to Texas, I assume Crunchyroll/Sony wants to be able to be more selective on when it pays union rates. Paying a lead actor here or there wouldn't be a big deal, but having to do it for a whole series, or possibly having to do it every time an LA cast is/was involved, is something they aren't going to want to do.
therjabundo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Damn that really sucks for LA people like Kyle, but what do you expect? It's Crunchyroll, they're in Texas, and Texas is very unfriendly towards unions. They are certainly prioritizing their own talent pool. I just hope they're being paid well and given better benefits.

While I'm all in for unionizing, I'm concerned about how it would affect the non-union Texas talent, they would be deprived of finding VO work, and union talent especially outside Texas are going to be favored instead. I think that's the biggest factor why CR is still resistant to go union.

I'm really happy that I pledged my loyalty to Sentai Filmworks. Screw Crunchyroll and their malignant corporate greed, I can no longer find a reason to support and patronize them.

Last edited by therjabundo on Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I just hope they're being paid well and given better benefits.

Doubtful they are given any benefits (such as health insurance/dental, 401k, life insurance, etc) because it's freelance work. McCarley specifically says he relies on the union to provide those things for him.

http://4NN.cx/.183842

Quote:
Consider Jujutsu Kaisen 0, the anime film that took the number two spot in the U.S. box office in its opening weekend. As voice actor Michael Schwalbe discussed in a recent Twitter thread, Jujutsu Kaisen's English voice actors were likely paid just $150 to $600 each, based on the going rate in the industry. That's not a per-hour rate. That's the total amount.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I truly wish them the best of luck in getting CR to even have a discussion about it (I've long since been supportive of efforts to unionize more projects, especially when one company produces the majority of dubs - an already undervalued and underpaid segment of the acting sphere, let alone the VO industry).

But I'm not feeling confident based on one show/cast alone. Especially for Mob Psycho 100 which, as popular as it is, only has one final season left most likely. I can't help but feel like unless multiple casts from multiple big shows came together on this in solidarity, CR will just tune it out and recast. And considering the pretty clear divide within TX on the issue (even if a lot of those concerns are steeped in misinformation), I don't think that's likely. And that really sucks.

Last time unionization discussions for CR shows started really getting some traction, everything on that front pretty much ground to a halt with the new "unspoken" mandate for local/in-person recording only. I suppose time will tell on this one.

Last edited by KitKat1721 on Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:50 pm Reply with quote
That really sucks! Especially for Kyle because I can imagine he would play Mob in a heartbeat under ideal circumstances.

I hope they can figure something out. Having the final season of a show recast the lead character because of union issues would be...pretty bad.
Reuben Lack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:51 pm Reply with quote
therjabundo wrote:

While I'm all in for unionizing, I'm concerned about how it would affect the non-union Texas talent, they would be deprived of finding VO work, and union talent especially outside Texas are going to be favored instead. I think that's the biggest factor why CR is still resistant to go union.

This is simply a misunderstanding of how the union process works. Because Texas is a "right-to-work" state, non-union actors can work a union show without ever having to join. The producer simply needs to file what's called a "Taft-Hartley Report." If anything, this is the best of both worlds for NU talent.
therjabundo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Reuben Lack wrote:
therjabundo wrote:

This is simply a misunderstanding of how the union process works. Because Texas is a "right-to-work" state, non-union actors can work a union show without ever having to join. The producer simply needs to file what's called a "Taft-Hartley Report." If anything, this is the best of both worlds for NU talent.

My point here is, yes, CR should go union or at least start paying higher union rates, but I want Texas talent prioritized, and I want their actors safe even if CR keeps restricting their talent pool to their own. I also fear that if they do go union, they are going to start bringing in the LA talent and thus sidelining all the non-union talent in TX, and it doesn’t seem fair to people who primarily work in TX. I may be completely wrong, maybe more TX voice actors will be vocal about this issue.
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:23 pm Reply with quote
therjabundo wrote:

My point here is, yes, CR should go union or at least start paying higher union rates, but I want Texas talent prioritized, and I want their actors safe even if CR keeps restricting their talent pool to their own. I also fear that if they do go union, they are going to start bringing in the LA talent and thus sidelining all the non-union talent in TX, and it doesn’t seem fair to people who primarily work in TX. I may be completely wrong, maybe more TX voice actors will be vocal about this issue.

This is a pretty understandable fear but something that should probably be taken into consideration with this whole thing is that due to Crunchyroll having the lion's share of seasonal anime titles: they themselves cannot keep up with dubbing all of it in their own studio and even after the whole remote-recording lockout, they have outsourced some of their newer seasonal titles to other Texas based studios (with those studios being more willing to go out of state for talent since they aren't beholden to CR's mandates). Even just say, negotating a deal regarding unionization for the dubs they were going to outsource anyway, would be a huge improvement over what's currently happening now
torchic91

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Shame on Crunchyroll!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:18 pm Reply with quote
This is just gross. Crunchyroll practically has a streaming monopoly at this point and the cheapskate bastards won't shell out to properly compensate/benefit their actual talent.

Like, you won't even so much as MEET with actors to discuss the mere possibility of union contracts in the future? **** right off with that nonsense.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Dubs produced out of Texas or any right-to-work state can absolutely use union contracts. They just can’t require talent to be union, but even the non-union talent can work under union contracts. Still, some states do things differently (in Virginia, a RtW state, I did background work many times under SAG-AFTRA contracts and was Taft-Hardlyed into SAG-E status; in Georgia, there is almost zero SAG background), but I don’t see how Crunchyroll can’t work something out with their local SAG office.

It is possible to not use SAG-AFTRA contracts and pay the actors at least as well. Supposedly, that’s what 4Kids did, to avoid paying their voice actors required royalties for broadcast TV. And that was New York. Even there and California, the vast majority of dubs have been non-union. It’s an industry-wide issue, not just Crunchyroll.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll should let its VAs unionize, already. Or rather, they should unionize with or without CR's permission, because corporations never permit anything pro-worker on their own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Looks like we already have a confirmation about recasting "in order to accomplish this seamlessly per our production and casting guidelines"

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1572323339133423617?t=R0_h6xb7Df3IFWLimbaxlQ&s=19
Ak Animax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Ok I started to prevent crunchyroll dubs already after first spy Family and then recent recent CSM news...

Now this is going out of Hands Seriously Crunchyroll!? Neutral What does It even take Just to sit down and have a nice reasonable
conversation with sagaftra community!! Mad
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:08 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Wow. Looks like we already have a confirmation about recasting "in order to accomplish this seamlessly per our production and casting guidelines"

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1572323339133423617?t=R0_h6xb7Df3IFWLimbaxlQ&s=19

What an absolute chickenshit response.

Seriously, everyone pirate this season. Maybe tweet at Crunchyroll to let them know why you're doing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11