• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Fire Hunter (TV) (all seasons).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:03 pm Reply with quote

Season 01: (The) Fire Hunter (TV)
Season 02: (The) Fire Hunter (TV 2)

Source: Novel (completed @ 4 Volumes, written by Rieko Hinata, illustrated by Akihiro Yamada)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Signal.MD

Genres: drama, fantasy

Themes: monsters, post-apocalyptic

Plot Summary: In a world in the chaotic aftermath of humanity's apocalyptic Last War. A great forest, infested with flameling creatures and other fallen beasts, covers the world, and pockets of humanity live in small protected communities.

Due to a special weapon used in the Last War, human beings spontaneously burst into flame even when merely getting close to a small source of fire. The only safe energy source for humanity lies within the bodies of flamelings, and the duty to hunt them falls to the sickle-wielding firecatchers who brave the depths of the great forest.

Among the firecatchers, they whisper tales of one who would be "Firecatcher Lord," an individual who will be able to harvest the fire of the thousand-year comet, the "Wandering Spark" that has flown in the sky since it was sent up before the Last War, but is now returning to earth.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 1: January 14, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 2: January 14, 2024 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 1: 10 episodes
Season 2: 10 episodes

Total: 20 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Really digging this one. World building seems pretty cool. And it's definitely a harsh world. Even a cute 11-year-old girl doesn't get cut any slack. Yeesh.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:27 am Reply with quote
I'm watching ep 4 right now, I'd just like to point out that the people who really hate the limited animation techniques used in the fire hunter should make sure to NEVER EVER watch Takarajima, Ashita no Joe, Rose of Versailles, Ienaki no Ko (1977) or any anime by the same director as you will hate them with every ounce of your soul.

Seriously, the people complaining about the "illustrated stillshot" limited animation technique on my anime list are hilarious, someone even called it a "fatal mistake to never ever do, ever" or something (paraphrasing). Jesus. I actually like limited animation anyway. The sakuga-good, limited animation-bad schtick is so annoying.

Overall the show reminds me of Shinsekai Yori. And I enjoy seeing the stillshots, despite what people are saying about them (good thing I try to avoid reading reviews these days, yeesh).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

There are definitely janky elements to this show, (although I'm not bothered by still shots either, as long as they aren't over-used) but I continue to enjoy it a lot. The expositional stuff is often handled inelegantly but there is just so much raw imagination on display in building this world and I am interested in both Touko and Koushi's stories. Really looking forward to when they finally intersect.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 10 (Finale)

It is a testament to the underlying strength of the source material that an adaptation can have as many bobbles as this one, technically and story-telling wise, and still be incredibly compelling, imo. I'd love to read the novels but they haven't been released in English yet. Hopefully this show will bring that into being because there is a ton I don't think I'll understand unless I read them. In any case, it's getting a second season and maybe the production team will have learned a bit about doing a better adaptation next time out. Let's hope. I rated this Very Good despite its issues..
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 11 & 12

Wow, I had forgotten how little used this thread was. And it doesn't look like that's gonna change any time soon. I'm where I usually am with this show: basically baffled, but engaged nonetheless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1