• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Streams Monster Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssjtennis1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Need that English dub that probably will not be added at this point
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:14 pm Reply with quote
This is so awesome
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Bizarre that this doesn’t have the English dub, which exists for the whole series and is quite good.
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:18 pm Reply with quote
can finally watch the series now
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Can I assume the dub is unavailable due to rights issues? It certainly can't be a case of money, how much would it be before Netflix would consider it too much to pay for. Unless they are planing on producing their own dub at some point.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:20 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Can I assume the dub is unavailable due to rights issues? It certainly can't be a case of money, how much would it be before Netflix would consider it too much to pay for. Unless they are planing on producing their own dub at some point.

I hope not. Even though I haven't seen it since it was on Sci-Fi (or Syfy, I don't remember when they changed the name). But it was a good English dub as far as I remember.No disrespect intended to the cast and crew, but it would be just as unnecessary as Netflix's re-dub of Evangelion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:35 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
Netflix had previously added the first 30 episodes, but it is now streaming all 74 episodes. The anime is streaming in Japanese and with a French dub. The English dub is not streaming on the service.

Glad to see all 74 episodes are now available, I do have a question regarding the English dub: Did all 74 episodes got dubbed in English?

Because I was told via Wikipedia and a 2013 ANNcast that Viz Media dropped the license for Monster because the DVD collection didn't sell well:

Wikipedia wrote:
A DVD box set of the series, containing the first 15 episodes was released 8 December 2009. However, due to low sales of the first box set, Viz decided not to continue releasing the remaining episodes on DVD and later dropped the license

Did that effect the series' English dub? I mean maybe not all 74 episodes got dubbed hence why the one on Netflix doesn't have the English dub on there, because the dub is not complete meaning not all 74 episodes have gotten English dub.

One thing that also upset me, despite taking place in Germany, I'm a little sad that there wasn't a German dub made for the series (probably because it was never broadcasted in Germany, which is a shame) given the setting. I would've watch this series in German dub had that dub been made (& a audio option had that dub existed) and probably would make sense given the setting of the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Cool! Sucks about the dub though.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:21 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
The English dub is not likely to be included on Netflix because as I recall the Japanese version uses a different score than the dub did.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Weird that they didn't just put it all up, but nice to see that it didn't take too long for the rest to be available.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The manga has since inspired two more novels titled Another Monster

Two? I know there is the novel as described, but the only other non-manga book I'm aware of is "Obluda: The Nameless Monster," which is a hardback picture book with the various stories the 511 Kinderheim kids were raised on, some of Bonaparta's sketches, and a post mortem to the novel regarding the sale of those manuscripts, purportedly written by "Weber's" translator, Takashi Nagasaki (a long-time irl collaborator of Urasawa's Smile). I wouldn't describe Obluda as a novel though. If there is another novel, surely it has a different title? At least with a "Volume 2" tacked on?
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:34 pm Reply with quote
So is there no way to watch the entire dub legally outside of importing the Australian release? I believe even the old out of print DVD relases never finished.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:49 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
So is there no way to watch the entire dub legally outside of importing the Australian release? I believe even the old out of print DVD relases never finished.

That will be kinda hard. Siren Visual totally disappeared from licensing and releasing anime. I imported the whole series a few years ago from them.

It's so stupid that the dub isn't included on Netflix...
Keiji84

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Great manga, great anime adaptation.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:30 am Reply with quote
So what exactly is the reason the English dub that already exists isn't being streamed? It would be nice to hear the official word because regardless of the unfortunate OST changes, the dub is truly great & should not be resigned to the dustbin of history.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2