• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tsurune: The Linking Shot

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm here for the chill vibes and good boys being good boys, so I'm not sold on the new edgy team. I do like the introduction of new styles of Kyudo though, and Shu's sister is a nice addition too.

I see Masa's teaching methods are still crap. Seiya was right to hate this guy Laughing
nl_TvdL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I love how this show focuses heavily on the psychological aspect of sports, the difference between winning or losing is really about ones mindset.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:22 pm Reply with quote
The show has such a lovely vibe. Watching episode 1 left me feeling like I’d had a spa day, or just got back from an ashram. I’m so happy to have more Tsurune in my life. And just chuffed to see Lauren back here. We missed you!!!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Tsurune was always one of my favorite underrated KyoAni works which I felt like was unfairly compared to Free when it came out so I'm glad to see it back for more and to see this cast and beautiful animation again.
laureninspace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:42 pm Reply with quote
NeedMoreCats wrote:
The show has such a lovely vibe. Watching episode 1 left me feeling like I’d had a spa day, or just got back from an ashram. I’m so happy to have more Tsurune in my life. And just chuffed to see Lauren back here. We missed you!!!

Aww, thanks for saying so! I've been around curating the weekly ANNouncements newsletter for the past couple years, but now I'm hoping to get back into more editorial work, too.
nl_TvdL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:37 am Reply with quote
Sometimes the hardest thing is to reconcile with someone you care about the most, i think a lot of us can relate to that. This episode was the best anime i’ve seen in a long time, it really hit me in an emotional way.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I really appreciated seeing the girls' get the spotlight for once. Up til now they've been a strange little Greek chorus commenting on the boys from the sidelines in ways both supportive and snarky, as if amused by all their boy drama which they themselves are above. Seeing how supportive they've always been of each other, and the little ways they've reinforced their camaraderie, instead of low-key competing with each other like the boys do, I can now sort of see where that comes from.
laureninspace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Yeah, I really appreciated seeing the girls' get the spotlight for once. Up til now they've been a strange little Greek chorus commenting on the boys from the sidelines in ways both supportive and snarky, as if amused by all their boy drama which they themselves are above.

I love this comparison to a Greek chorus. I didn't make that connection before now!
Glordit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:02 am Reply with quote
I absolutely loved their usage of pictures in the background to symbolize things.

Also, going by the visual hints and the more obvious hair colour differences, I am going to assume that Sae and Shu are not biological siblings.
laureninspace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:12 am Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
I absolutely loved their usage of pictures in the background to symbolize things.

What do you think about the 5 door photo? Do you think EVERY door meant something, or just the fact that there were five of them? (And the running boy, of course.)

Not sure if I was stretching with the fox getting his head pats. I know the cafe is fox themed to begin with. Now if they say something like "Eisuke Nikaido's image animal is a fox" I'll know for sure I wasn't seeing things.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
that means Seiya, you're next

We can only hope. I've been looking forward to his episode for a while now.

laureninspace wrote:
I love this comparison to a Greek chorus. I didn't make that connection before now!

I see Greek choruses from time to time in anime, especially in shows that are willing to "break the fourth wall." Bartender is an especially good example. Oftentimes other characters or groups of characters comment on the events at hand, with theatrical lighting effects that highlight the situation.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, those paintings were certainly striking. If you hadn't mentioned the fox, I was going to, and I don't think you're reading too much into it. Smile

Not sure how to interpret the doors. I think the kid is Shu, because the first time we get a good look at the painting, he's hidden behind Shu's head, like the boy with the crown, and both figures are similarly dressed in white shirt and shorts. But otherwise, I'm stuck on trying to figure out where the windows are that are lighting up the inside of the open rooms (except the center one). I don't think that lighting is actually possible, unless the doors represent one door at different times. Yeah, I'm flailing here.

I somehow missed the crown painting the first time. Other than the princely implications over Shu's head, it's a very odd painting. The bird almost seems to be more of a sea creature with no eyes, and the beak with its nostril looks like masculine yang side of a yin/yang symbol. But the lighter space beneath the bird looks like a mink or seal cuddled up under its body, with the red leaves of a tree in the background appearing as its eye. Also the whole image seems to be being viewed through a lens or porthole. Again, no idea what, if anything, any of that is supposed to represent.

I think Glordit is right about Shu. During the flashback there is a very pointed series of shots of his father's black hair, then his mother's, then Sae's and finally Shu's brown hair.

And talk about on the nose, that bit with the light literally coming on over Shu's head when told his family does support him. Laughing
Glordit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:28 pm Reply with quote
laureninspace wrote:
Glordit wrote:

What do you think about the 5 door photo? Do you think EVERY door meant something, or just the fact that there were five of them? (And the running boy, of course.)

Not sure if I was stretching with the fox getting his head pats. I know the cafe is fox themed to begin with. Now if they say something like "Eisuke Nikaido's image animal is a fox" I'll know for sure I wasn't seeing things.

Shu most likely has a complex about being adopted (based on evidence in the episode) and perhaps feels or felt that he was never truly a part of the family. There is 5 doors in the picture and in the scene with him watching his parents and baby Sae there where 5 people. Everyone has a door and the little boy is Shu who doesnt belong, so they flee? A symbol of wanting to escape? Perhaps it's a symbol of hope with the boy being Shu finally obtaining freedom from their feelings of being unwanted. Perhaps I am looking too much into it as well.

The fox is a bit enigmatic but if I had to guess it could symbolize scheming or being deceptive. It also looks like some one is patting or taming the fox as in trying to reel in some ones wild personality, or bring them over to your side.
nl_TvdL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This may have worked for Ryohei, but I thought it was a bit snobby to have a rich character telling a middle-class character that, sure, he may have practiced kyudo since childhood and has $300 arrows and his own range, but at least Ryohei has been drinking soda for longer than Shu has, so they're even. If somebody said that to me, I would be so insulted!

I’m not with you on this one. Money probably doesn’t mean anything to Shu compared to some joyful childhood memories, which he lacks. So i can understand his jealousy, i wouldn’t call it snobby.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You'd think that the single most emotionally charged moment of the episode would be during the tournament face-off (and we'll get to that in a moment), but it's equally heartstring-pulling to see Ryohei's gentle interaction with his silently supportive hikikomori sister.

That was one of the best moments for me. I got a little misty-eyed when his sister actually came out of her room!

But the BEST moment was when Minato held—and held—his shot to get the team back in sync, and the raging river at his feet smoothed out into a tranquil stream. So beautiful.

Just SUCH a beautiful show. KyoAni hit it out of the park this week. I really love these boys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2