• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Was Misty the worst treated female character in the Pokémon anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
precita

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:01 am Reply with quote
I've been rewatching the original seasons and notice how Misty gets sidelined most of the time. Any time she tries to battle or do something epic, Psyduck would come out interrupting her for the usual gag.

Outside of that most eps focus on Ash and the random filler characters they meet in every ep, so Misty and Brock are largely just treated as exposition characters commenting on whatever is happening.

Most of her pokemon are underused too, and it feels like if you don't care about shipping half the appeal to her character is lost. You'd think 275 episodes would be enough to develop her but eh.

It feels like she only got popular due to being "baby's first tsundere" since to a lot of 90's kids Pokemon was one of their first exposures to anime. When you actually watch the show you realize how after the first season ends she hardly does anything but hold Togepi and stand in the background. I can see why the writers wrote her off early into the series history way back in 2002.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Female characters commonly getting sidelined like that has been a regular occurrence in both these kind of shows and shonen action shows even up to recent years, unfortunately. (For instance, Nezuko was deliberately downgraded in usage in Demon Slayer in response to reactions to the early chapters of the manga, and Asuna was notoriously sidelined for lengthy periods of time in SAO despite being advertised as a virtual co-star to Kirito. At least the latter has corrected that in a big way with the Progressive movies.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
precita

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:02 pm Reply with quote
It's definitely an issue since the main character (Ash) will always be the most focused on, but the writers did expand the roles for all the other female companions after, everyone noticed this when May debuted way back in 2002/2003 when Hoenn started, and it continued from there with the different female leads after.

I think the problem is when Pokemon first started they had no idea it would be a huge decade spanning show going on thousands of episodes, so when it first started Misty was just the typical sidekick female character who argues with the male lead that most anime had back then. If you look at other 90's anime heroines, Misty's personality was very typical of a lot of female leads at the time, the angry/bossy female lead who sometimes smacks the main character but could be a love interest.

I just feel the writers dropped the ball with her too early. Even when most of us were kids/teens in the early 2000's, we noticed even back then Misty started getting sidelined once she got Togepi, then once you got into Johto it was basically the beginning of the end for her. Johto having tons of filler did not help.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1