• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo to Host Stranger - Mukoh Hadan Director Ando

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I am envisioning dozens of Sailor Moon fans (particularly if they like Ami the best--she always got the worst of it) plotting against this man. Whenever the characters had a special "bobblehead" look, it never failed that Ando was in the credits. I rarely learn the names of animation directors and the like, but he's quite infamous in the Sailor Moon fan community.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I suggest SM fans get over it. Nobody, it seems, has seen Stranger yet, but it's an absolute triumph. I haven't been this excited over an anime since Paprika.
Phibby

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:57 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Whenever the characters had a special "bobblehead" look, it never failed that Ando was in the credits. I rarely learn the names of animation directors and the like, but he's quite infamous in the Sailor Moon fan community.

Definitely. What does it say about your animation when even an eight-year-old anime newbie can tell there's something off about your episodes? It's especially bad when you go back to it after nicely animated transformation or attack stock footage. Yet crazily enough his art always seemed to end up on the NA merchandise. I think I had at least five different things with the "Moon and the Inners looking determined with moon in background" scene from episode 75.

The only other SM animator I really remember nearing Ando's awfulness was Taichi Nakamura, the animation director for most of the worst R and S filler eps, like the infamous episode 67 and the violin Daimon episode (ugh).

jsevakis wrote:
I suggest SM fans get over it. Nobody, it seems, has seen Stranger yet, but it's an absolute triumph. I haven't been this excited over an anime since Paprika.

Yeah, I'm willing to give Ando the benefit of the doubt since it's been around 15 years since SM (Jesus, really?) and although I don't think I've seen any of his more recent directorial work, I'm assuming he's improved. Hopefully.
nhat

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:13 am Reply with quote
I really hope that movie comes out, I heard it was good.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote
Actually, now this makes sense: apparently it's not the same Masahiro Ando. We just got word. We're working on splitting the encyclopedia entry now.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
Well that makes sense then! I was more than a bit surprised (perhaps even suspicious) that the guy who brought forth some of the funkiest art in Sailor Moon would be bringing out such a highly anticipated film.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
I really hope that movie comes out, I heard it was good.
Sword of the stranger is a fantastic movie.It's got chiche's like all hell,but that doesn't hurt it in the least.This is a real treat for the people who go to Anime Expo.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:41 am Reply with quote
A Canadian animation critic wrote wonderful articles about Masahiro Ando and his latest film. His behind-the-scene knowledge on Anime put any self-proclaimed Otaku into shame.

Masahiro Ando

http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php?title=masahiro_ando&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Sword of the Stranger

http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php?title=stranger_etc&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1