• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: One Piece Portrait Of Pirates - Franky

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh, good. It's been three weeks since the first article, I was starting to think it was already over. How often are these going to be posted?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Oh, good. It's been three weeks since the first article, I was starting to think it was already over. How often are these going to be posted?

Emerje

It's supposed to be biweekly but we ran into a bit of a snag getting items to review. Hopefully that's cleared up now and we can have it every other week.
championferret

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
...I see this figure talked about alot, and whoever does the talking never fails to mention the crotch-detail. xD
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
From the picture, it's certainly...impressive. Laughing

(I'm holding out for a Stretch Armstrong-esque Luffy myself.)
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quote
$40-$50 isn't all that bad.
We are talking collector market
The shop in the valley gets in 3 or 4 of the Seiya's in & if one isn't there the day they come in, forget it & that's at $60-$80 a pop for I believe 6 inch dolls.
However, I'm not interested in the $175 gold series Seiya the guy has. Gemini maybe, or Shun, but not Seiya
My daughter paid $35 for the big-head L & Light figures. I'd have to ask what she's paying for the Persona 3 dolls she's getting.
It's not mass market toys like my Darth Vader that I bought in 1979 & my cat chewed on the light saber (sort of embarrasing. Evil Overlord with teethmarks on one's weapon)
Rancher

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
A critique [i]of the article.

[Just an FYI, it is generally customary to post a little more than a single word in the future. Normally I would just delete this, but since people might actually be interested in reading that critique of the article, I'm going to leave it this time, though I took the liberty of putting just a bit more text in there for ya. - Keonyn][/i]
Drac

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
I managed to snag the re-released Luffy and Nami figures last year and they're just amazing, I just wish Luffy's hat fit on his head. I'm really looking forward to the Sogeking figure coming out soon. Hopefully they make one of Brook later this year since they've been churning out new figures like crazy.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
$40-$50 isn't all that bad.
We are talking collector market

Very much agreed. That's a fairly average price range for many of the PVC figures, though upwards of 90$ is not too uncommon either. Most of those fit the 1/6th (or 1/8th scale), so about 27cm/10inc tall depending on the pose for the figure.

If you think people balk at the above price range, I'd advise you not look at how much some of the dolls can go for. But to just give a hint, Lynn Minmay (from Azone International) while bigger, 50cm or almost 2ft, sells for over 500$, and there are plenty in the 900$ range.

As CCSYueh said, the collectors market can be vastly different from the typical Anime market.
miggie

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Can you pull the trunks down because that would be kind of cool! Embarassed
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
miggie wrote:
Can you pull the trunks down because that would be kind of cool! Embarassed

It WOULD be fun... Embarassed But alas, it is a collector's piece for a childrens' show, so it most likely isn't so. Anime cry
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
awesome figure. ill pick that up at con later this year :)))
Rancher

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Kenoyn>I appreciate you leaving my one word post up. At other sites, people have accused me of being long winded. So it's funny that someone thinks I wasn't wordy enough! Shocked Laughing

I don't view the MegaHouse One Piece releases as collectors item. Not when they get re-released, thereby killing the market value of the original products. Confused
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
Rancher wrote:

I don't view the MegaHouse One Piece releases as collectors item. Not when they get re-released, thereby killing the market value of the original products. Confused

You don't understand the collector market then.
Most 2nd series will be marked as such in some way. There are usually ways for collectors to note the dif, but a 2nd series allows for more sales for the company & collectors who missed the prior issue to get in on the item. It's not unlike reprintings of books-a collector can seek out that first printing while someone who just wants to read the story can read the story without paying an exhorbitant amount of money.

All I know is I've been buying cds off CDJapan for awhile & they sell figures & those figures are often HUGE amounts of money. These aren't $14.99 or $24.99 mass market Sephiroth figures.
ToHeart2 Sarara Kusukawa School Swimsuit Maid Ver. 1/7th scale-6400 yen (about $60)
Dream Tech Figure Series / ToHeart2 Tamaki Kosaka Maid Costume Ver.-8500 yen (about $80)
Sengoku Lance Uesugi Kenshin-1/7 scale-9800 yen. (about $93)
PERFECT PIECE / Ghost in the Shell Tachikomans (Yellow)-9800 yen

I've always been a bit amazed at the prices they charge, but I do realize these figures are aimed at the otaku audience in Japan which seems even more rabid than our sci-fi audience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1