• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hai Fidelity - Detroit Metal City: Tribute to Krauser II the metal mix

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anath_19

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Great review! I remember seeing this on CDJapan. Though it did interest me with Tommy February6, I was worried that it was just going to be a cash-in, since it has a lot of pop artists, and not metal ones. I will have to order this sometime.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
Reminds me of the band Ten Masked Men, a group that only does Death Metal covers of top 40 hits (i.e. Blue, Livin' La Vida Loca and Sex Bomb to name very few). Oh, and the hilarious cover of "Oops I Did It Again" by Children of Bodom.

I might pick this up just for fun.

Quote:
Much like “Joy,” the softer female vocals blend yet offset the harshness of the background instruments. If only more metal songs were like these.

Then you should check out the many female fronted metal bands out there. Most are already familiar with Nightwish but there are lots more like Lacuna Coil, Elis, Within Temptation and (one of my personal favorites) Deadlock.
BorkisDrizzt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
Eh, this is supposed to be a metal-CD and you are complaining about sceaming? Doh Rolling Eyes
Now, how interresting would this CD be for somebody that listens to metal all the time and who doesn't really like pop? (Not to mention rap and hip-hop, ugh Mad )

DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Reminds me of the band Ten Masked Men, a group that only does Death Metal covers of top 40 hits (i.e. Blue, Livin' La Vida Loca and Sex Bomb to name very few). Oh, and the hilarious cover of "Oops I Did It Again" by Children of Bodom.

I might pick this up just for fun.

Quote:
Much like “Joy,” the softer female vocals blend yet offset the harshness of the background instruments. If only more metal songs were like these.

Then you should check out the many female fronted metal bands out there. Most are already familiar with Nightwish but there are lots more like Lacuna Coil, Elis, Within Temptation and (one of my personal favorites) Deadlock.

Oh yeah, CoB's cover is awesome Razz Nightwish and Within Temptation are pretty good too, for really soft metal I'd recommend Edenbridge
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:47 am Reply with quote
BorkisDrizzt wrote:
Eh, this is supposed to be a metal-CD and you are complaining about sceaming? Doh Rolling Eyes
Now, how interresting would this CD be for somebody that listens to metal all the time and who doesn't really like pop? (Not to mention rap and hip-hop, ugh Mad )

I don't consider screaming to be music. While I don't particularly enjoy metal myself, my husband does so I've heard enough metal music to know it's not ALL screaming and the non-screaming songs are always 4000 times better than the screaming ones. It doesn't really take that much talent to scream into a microphone Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

As for how interesting this would be for someone who listens to metal all the time, it would really depend on what type of metal you like. If you prefer the screaming songs, chances are you won't like this CD too much because there just aren't many tracks like that. However, if you're into the actual music part of it and aren't all about how loud one can possibly be before ears start bleeding, then I think you'd like it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A fairly new band, monobright is an unimpressive rock band.

I heavily disagree with this comment. I was in Japan the week their first single "Mikansei Riot" came out; and after seeing their video on Space Shower TV I ran out to Shibuya to buy it. It was the first time in awhile where I couldn't think of any other band to compare them to. Their sound is simple, yet original. They are going to be the next big act from Japan!
kittycatgirl2k

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
Pop songs often flourish with a metal makeover.
Anyone familiar with At Vance's tinkering with ABBA songs? They were all fantastic.
Northern Kings (vocalists Marco Hietala from Nightwish, Tony Kakko from Sonata Arctica, JP Leppaluoto from Charon/ex Poisonblack and J Ahola from Terasbetoni ) recently released an all covers album that tackled Tina Turner, Mr. Mister, Phil Collins and others to superior effect.
Jaded Heart did a Backstreet Boys song and made it magic.
Jeff Scott Soto's interpretation of Madonna's "Frozen" was magnificently deep and dark.

Metal + pop is nothing new. I just wish more bands would do their covers as imaginative as these, instead of "covering" Smoke on the Water again.

To the female vocalist/metal list, add The Lovecrave, Benedictum, Lana Lane, and Luca Turilli's Dreamquest.
dabura16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
The reason Kahimi Karie is featured on the album is because it's Negishi's (the off stage persona of Krauzer) favorite artist; he's a big pop fan and mentions her repeatedly throughout the story.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
dabura16 wrote:
The reason Kahimi Karie is featured on the album is because it's Negishi's (the off stage persona of Krauzer) favorite artist; he's a big pop fan and mentions her repeatedly throughout the story.

That makes it even more depressing - they took the character's favorite artist and massively screwed up her song. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote
Am I missing something here? Isn't a tribute LP supposed to have cover songs from the band being paid tribute to?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1