• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva 2.0, Summer Wars to Be Screened in Dublin in March

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:12 am Reply with quote
Yes. Definitely going to see Summer Wars. I'd like to see Eva 2.0 as well, but the tickets are over 10 euro each Crying or Very sad

The IFI is pretty good about showing anime- I saw Spirited Away subtitled there when it came out in English speaking countries first.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:22 am Reply with quote
Are we ever going to see these movies in SoCal?
sniper_samurai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quote
Eh. There is no mystery film being shown with Blood. They are showing the first part of the Gundam Unicorn OVA which, while not on the site is clearly stated on the ticket.

BTW Penguin_Factory they are doing a special where if you buy tickets for all 6 screenings at the same time it only costs €42 and you get access to a further event on the 31st of March.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
sniper_samurai wrote:
Eh. There is no mystery film being shown with Blood. They are showing the first part of the Gundam Unicorn OVA which, while not on the site is clearly stated on the ticket.

BTW Penguin_Factory they are doing a special where if you buy tickets for all 6 screenings at the same time it only costs €42 and you get access to a further event on the 31st of March.

lol mystery fail. episode 1 was pretty good tho
lillink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
The fact that this movie has already been shown in Germany IN ENGLISH last summer and is now being shown IN ENGLISH in Dublin in March, while it has NOT been shown here in the US at any cons or other screenings REALLY pisses me off. Funimation is REALLY fumbling this license as these should be simultaneous theatrical releases in the US and Japan, not "HEY, wait 2 years after it's released and then we'll show you a crappy dub when the Japanese Bluray with more footage has been out for 2-3 months already!". Ok, I know that there's probably some clause on the Japanese end that prevents a simultaneous theatrical release, but that's JUST AS STUPID! I don't think either party realizes how much money they're missing out on as now they're FORCING everyone to resort to fansubs to even see these movies, releasing them on physical formats 4 and a half years after initial release, and not even offering theatrical showings for the vast majority of fans. Really hope they get their stuff together for 3.0 and 4.0, but knowing Funi I'm not expecting much at all.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:23 am Reply with quote
sniper_samurai wrote:

I'm working on the saturday though, so paying for the three films on that day would be pointless since the only one I can see is Eva 2.0.

Quote:
The fact that this movie has already been shown in Germany IN ENGLISH last summer and is now being shown IN ENGLISH in Dublin in March, while it has NOT been shown here in the US at any cons or other screenings REALLY pisses me off. Funimation is REALLY fumbling this license as these should be simultaneous theatrical releases in the US and Japan

I think you're being unfair to Funimation here- organizing a simultaneous theatrical release is something that would probably have much more to do with the licensor rather than the licensee. And any sort of theatrical release for an anime movie at all right now is a bad idea, particularly something that's not part of a big franchise. Remember that these screenings aren't theatrical releases- they're one day only events taking place at a single location as part of a film festival. I highly doubt whether any of the movies shown over the weekend will ever be screened in cinemas in Ireland again.
lillink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
sniper_samurai wrote:

I'm working on the saturday though, so paying for the three films on that day would be pointless since the only one I can see is Eva 2.0.

Quote:
The fact that this movie has already been shown in Germany IN ENGLISH last summer and is now being shown IN ENGLISH in Dublin in March, while it has NOT been shown here in the US at any cons or other screenings REALLY pisses me off. Funimation is REALLY fumbling this license as these should be simultaneous theatrical releases in the US and Japan

I think you're being unfair to Funimation here- organizing a simultaneous theatrical release is something that would probably have much more to do with the licensor rather than the licensee. And any sort of theatrical release for an anime movie at all right now is a bad idea, particularly something that's not part of a big franchise. Remember that these screenings aren't theatrical releases- they're one day only events taking place at a single location as part of a film festival. I highly doubt whether any of the movies shown over the weekend will ever be screened in cinemas in Ireland again.

If you read what I said, that's exactly what I was talking about, the fact that it's on the licensor's end. Also, you can have showings that last only a week, or even a day, akin to many anime showings in the US, but this is EVA we're talking about here; I know about 3 dozen people who don't like anime that have seen all of EVA, it has one of the largest appeals of any anime in the USA and showing it in theaters one day YEARS after the fact doesn't make up for it on Funimation's part. Clearly, they CAN do it, it's just the time frame they choose (as they don't want to take a damn risk) is really stupid as by then they're just losing money. Furthermore, Anime Festival NY, one of the largest cons in the US, was like 2 months after that showing in Germany. Funi could've easily shown it there in the same manner it was shown in Germany; hell, they could've used the same damn film. There really are no excuses other than Funi just doesn't feel like paying the money, which, while ridiculous, they'd make back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1