• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Script Draft in Few Weeks

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ulinox

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
Meh, I don't think the "female lead"-issue in and by itself will have that much of a negative effect. IMO it'll all wage on the acting capabilities of the person in said part. That's why they should get Jennifer Connelly, or Selma Blair. That's instant success right there. Arrow
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is Hollywood where:

Quote:
Warner Bros president of production Jeff Robinov has made a new rule that “We are no longer doing movies with women in the lead”, according to DeadlineHollywood. Apparently, Robinov won’t even look at a script with a female lead.

source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/10/07/warner-bros-says-no-more-female-lead-characters/

Plus fans think this seems to be linked to the tossing of the in development Wonder Woman back into development hell. Of course Wonder Woman was a pet project Kalogridis has also been trying to get going.
http://fivequestionswith.wordpress.com/laeta-kalogridis/

While I disliked her adaptation of Birds of Prey, I realize most of the mistakes were done by others and the bad choices made were not made by her. My main problem with her treatment was her adherence to Earth 2 Huntress instead of the current one, but that's just fan squabble compared to the really stupid studio choices made on that show. I wish her well as she seems to be a good fan of comics, both American and Japanese, who is getting somewhere in the movie industry.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
“We are no longer doing movies with women in the lead”

*COUGH*, yeah, no unfortunate implications with that ruling..... And as the article points out, their logic is nonsensical, plenty of movies with female leads have done well at the box office. Waterworld was one of the biggest flops ever, does that mean no more movies should be made set in the ocean or starring Kevin Costner? Rolling Eyes

Anyway, never got around to watching GiTS, but I do hope a good adaptation is made for the fans.
jtstellar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
the anime series was very episodic with different villains or events every 2 or 3 episodes. the story is told from the major's perspective the most, but plenty of side characters share most of the screen time, so the sense that the story was heavily centered around a female character just wasn't much in the original series.. or at least in the anime. if they're going to adapt the manga of course they would take a look at the anime as well since the platform is simply closer to motion pictures than plain drawings. theoretically it's possible to do an alternative retelling of events style often seen in animes--from a different character's perspective, and the studio may get their wish to put a male as the main lead. but that would indeed require real talented writing on their part to retell the whole story from another character's perspective and still manage to deliver the same level of satisfaction in all regards. do they have the talent to pull it off, that's the real question.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
jtstellar wrote:
the anime series was very episodic with different villains or events every 2 or 3 episodes. the story is told from the major's perspective the most, but plenty of side characters share most of the screen time, so the sense that the story was heavily centered around a female character just wasn't much in the original series.. or at least in the anime. if they're going to adapt the manga of course they would take a look at the anime as well since the platform is simply closer to motion pictures than plain drawings. theoretically it's possible to do an alternative retelling of events style often seen in animes--from a different character's perspective, and the studio may get their wish to put a male as the main lead. but that would indeed require real talented writing on their part to retell the whole story from another character's perspective and still manage to deliver the same level of satisfaction in all regards. do they have the talent to pull it off, that's the real question.

The first manga was centered around the Major as the main character.

The second manga was split between focusing on the Major and another female character.

The first movie was centered on the Major.

The second movie was centered on Batou and Togusa, with the Major appearing towards the end.

The two series focused on all of the characters of Section 9, though to somewhat varying degrees, but the Major was clearly the leader of the group, not counting Aramaki, and a got a good deal of screen time.

The movie based on the series split the focus between the Major and Batou and Togusa.
jtstellar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
jtstellar wrote:

The first manga was centered around the Major as the main character.

The second manga was split between focusing on the Major and another female character.

The first movie was centered on the Major.

The second movie was centered on Batou and Togusa, with the Major appearing towards the end.

The two series focused on all of the characters of Section 9, though to somewhat varying degrees, but the Major was clearly the leader of the group, not counting Aramaki, and a got a good deal of screen time.

The movie based on the series split the focus between the Major and Batou and Togusa.

hm right i was referring to the anime series and i never said she didn't have enough screen time to be treated as the main character. the point was that there were enough other characters sharing enough screen time that the story can theoretically be told from an alternative perspective without perverting the original material in the process, likely with the help of the original creator who is involved in the production if i'm not mistaken. it's just a question of whether they have the talent since translating that from the manga/anime to movie AND doing a conversion on story angle would require heavy talent in both narrative medium.. to first fully understand, and then to translate it equally just as well. it's all possible, i was merely questioning whether they have the creative talent.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Waterworld was one of the biggest flops ever, does that mean no more movies should be made set in the ocean or starring Kevin Costner? Rolling Eyes

YES!
stararnold

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Look forward to seeing whether or not the live-action "Ghost In The Shell" film will star a new protagonist, regardless of gender. This will indeed allow new possibilities for continuities outside of that of the GITS Manga, just like how each "Gundam" continuity has its own set of characters..
malik_chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh no! A female lead! How will men ever relate with her constant banter about philosophy, giving commands to men, and *gasp* kicking arse?! /sarcasm

If done right, this will be good. I'm also for a new face for Motoko's role, preferably a Japanese woman with Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's voice dubbed over because MEM IS Motoko.
~nanashi~

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Well after all is said and done, my hopes are that they finally get a Live-Action Anime Adaptation right for once. Anime exclamation But hey with Warner Brothers and their whole "no lead role to women", maybe that's just asking too much. Then again... as always we'll just have to wait and see.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Considering the provocative costumes that the Major wears, I'm surprised that they're skeptical of bringing in a male audience.

Oh well, whenever Hollywood grows up from its eternal puberty and away from rampant sexism, I'll be there.
hakojo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Considering the provocative costumes that the Major wears, I'm surprised that they're skeptical of bringing in a male audience.

But she's a smart woman. The vast majority of males out there would just feel threatened, boobies or no.

malik_chan wrote:

because MEM IS Motoko.

This. Right now I'm pretending this movie doesn't exist, but in the highly unlikely event that she's somehow involved, they can count on two more tickets sold (I'd totally make my mom go with me - I hate seeing movies alone...)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Er, why wouldn't the movie have a female lead? Motoko Kusanagi was a female the last time I checked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
hakojo wrote:
But she's a smart woman. The vast majority of males out there would just feel threatened, boobies or no.
Well, The Powers That Be in Hollywood would feel threatened, but I'm not convinced that the general male population would be. It feels like a self-fulfilling prophecy whenever they believe that one woman talking to another woman about a subject completely unrelated to the male characters just bores the majority of male audiences. (Or maybe I'd like to think my gender isn't filled with people who never grew up past the age of fifteen.)

penguintruth wrote:
Er, why wouldn't the movie have a female lead? Motoko Kusanagi was a female the last time I checked.
I could honestly see them shifting the focus onto Togusa if they're that frightened of having a female lead.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:
If done right, this will be good. I'm also for a new face for Motoko's role, preferably a Japanese woman with Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's voice dubbed over because MEM IS Motoko.

Why couldn't just McGlynn be the Major? She's intelligent, she can act and, personally, I think she's attractive. I think the only thing she has going against her is that she's basically unknown among people who aren't anime fans that watch dubs. Damn Hollywood and how only big names make the big bucks Evil or Very Mad

hakojo wrote:
HellKorn wrote:

Boobs + Brains = Inferiority problem in males
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2