• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haibane Renmei - error summary (18 duplicates)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
Haibane Renmei was credited based on the U.S. DVDs, fortunately with references to the episode numbers in each source string (which helped me a lot during the process).

Now over-crediting everything with additional episode precisions based on the the D2_STATION kanji source and then matching the remaining entries with the remaining untranslatable kanji names ended up revealing a number of duplicate persons (many of which got their only credit for Haibane Renmei based on the U.S. DVD and have no kanji name at ANN):

• Toshiyuki ABE (no kanji, 1 staff for Animation Director) is a different kanji reading duplicate of
    Tomoyuki ABE (阿部 智之, 13 staff for various animation tasks).
    EDICT allows 5 readings for 智之 including Toshiyuki and Tomoyuki.

• Yoko FURUTA (no kanji, 1 staff for In-Between Animation) could not be backed up by the kanji source.
    "Furuta" would be "古田" so this may be a kanji reading error of the similarly looking
    Yuuko YOSHIDA (吉田 優子, 21 staff for Key Animation)
    who is credited for the same task in Haibane Renmei by the kanji source but was missing in the DVD credits list.

• Hiroshi HOURI (no kanji, 1 staff for Key Animation) is a different kanji reading duplicate of
    Koji IWAI (祝 浩司, 12 staff for various animation tasks).
    EDICT allows 19 readings for 祝 including both HOURI and IWAI, and 5 readings for 浩司 including both Hiroshi and Kouji.

• Mie IDE (no kanji, 8 staff for Production) could not be backed up by the kanji source; instead, D2_STATION credited
    Hidenori IDE (井手 英憲, PIONEER LDC) for アシスタント・プロデューサー (Animation Producer)
    for whom I created a new person entry as Hidenori is the only valid EDICT reading for 英憲.

• Sakiko KAIUCHI (no kanji, 1 staff for Paint) is a spelling error duplicate of
    Sakiko KAKIUCHI (垣内 佐記子, 1 staff for Paint)
    for whom I created a new person entry as Kaiuchi would have been "開内".

• Yamato KOJIMA (no kanji, 4 staff for Key Animation) is a different kanji reading duplicate of
    Hirokazu KOJIMA (小島 大和, 12 staff for various animation tasks).
    EDICT allows 3 readings for 大和 as given name including both Yamato and Hirokazu.

• Takashi MUTOU (no kanji, 1 staff for In-Between Animation) is a kanji reading error duplicate of
    Ken MUTOU (武藤 健, 10 staff for Key Animation).
    EDICT allows 18 readings for 健 including Ken and Takeshi but not Takashi.

• Yoshiaki SAITO (斎藤 新明, 6 staff for Key Animation) appears to be a duplicate of
    Shinaki SAITOU (斎藤 新明, 8 staff for Key Animation).
    EDICT allows neither given name for 新明 (the closest bet would be Shin'ake); the separate kanji could be read "shin-aki" but not "yoshi-aki".

• Hajime SATOU (佐藤 肇, 16 staff for Art Setting and Color) is frequently mixed up with
    Hatsu SATOU (佐藤 初, 5 staff for Color).
    EDICT allows 5 readings for 肇 including Hajime but not Hatsu, and 7 readings for 初 including both Hajime and Hatsu which explains why some of the Color credits may have been mis-assigned to Hajime SATOU.

• Naoko SOITA (no kanji, 3 staff for Animation) is a different kanji reading duplicate of
    Naoko SOEDA (添田 直子, 6 staff for Animation).
    EDICT allows 7 readings for 添田 including both SOITA and SOEDA.

• Hiroko TAKIZAWA (no kanji, 1 staff for Paint) appears to be a kanji reading error duplicate of
    Izumi TAKIZAWA (滝沢 いづみ, the D2_STATION source used 滝澤いづみ which can also be read this way, 20 staff for Animation).
    No idea which source led to Hiroko as given name as いづみ in hiragana can only be Izumi.

• Hayato TEJIMA (no kanji, 2 staff for Animation) is a different kanji reading duplicate of
    Yuto TEJIMA (手島 勇人, 4 staff for various Animation tasks).
    EDICT allows 7 readings for 勇人 including both Hayato and Yuuto.

• Takashi TODA (no kanji, 3 staff for Production) is a spelling error duplicate of
    Takeshi TODA (戸田 武志, 4 staff for Production).
    EDICT allows 2 readings for 武志 which are Takeshi and Takeyuki but not Takashi.

• Yuka TSUZUKU (no kanji, 1 staff for Background) is a different kanji reading duplicate of
    Yuka TODAKE (都竹 由華, 2 staff for Background).
    EDICT allows 12 readings for 都竹 including TSUZUKU and TODAKE.

• Norihiro WATANABE (no kanji, 2 staff for Key Animation) may be a different kanji reading duplicate of
    Onkou WATABE (渡部 穏寛, 8 staff for Animation).
    EDICT allows 8 readings for 渡部 including both WATANABE and WATABE, and 0 readings for 穏寛; as separate kanji, 穏 has readings of "on" and "oda" but neither "Onkou" nor "Norihiro" look really plausible.

• Hajime YABANA (no kanji, 2 staff for Animation) is a different kanji reading duplicate of
    Kaoru YABANA (矢花 馨, 15 staff for Key Animation / Episode Director).
    EDICT allows 9 readings for 馨 including both Hajime and Kaoru.

• Itaru YAHATA (no kanji, 2 staff for Animation) is a different kanji reading duplicate of
    Itaru YAWATA (八幡 格, 2 staff for Animation).
    EDICT allows 8 readings for 八幡 including both YAHATA and YABATA.

• Studio Ado (19 credits for various animation tasks) is a katakana reading error duplicate of
    Studio ADD (スタジオアド, http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/~st_add/, 14 credits for various Animation tasks).

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
(Facepalm)

I know R1US DVD can be erroneous but didn't expect this level of crappiness. Unfortunately I don't have time to handle them at this moment; will be back on Tuesday. Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not at all surprised. Given that FUNimation often can't even spell the names of their own voice actors correctly and consistently, not to mention their president (Fukunga!), it is no wonder they get Japanese names wrong and there's no reason to expect much better from the other companies (hope, yes, but not expect unfortunately). I'd take a look now but it's nearly midnight as it is and I don't want to start on anything major as I need to be up early to help in the garden tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why these companies don't understand what a great tool ANN could be to do their work.

If I were getting paid for translating those kanji credits for an U.S. DVD release I could hardly imagine a more efficient way of doing my job than simply contributing the data to ANN (in multi-input mode): Having the context of task and name the result must be a lot better than merely picking a random EDICT entry for these kanji (which they apparently do as the results show). Plus adding the credits to ANN would kill another two birds with the same stone: 1. providing correct information for my release in the most important anime platform for English speakers, the one being linked to in many Wikipedia articles; 2. expanding the translation table so that the hit percentage for the next release will increase and save the contributors' precious time (they should be interested in the fastest way of getting a decent result of their work!). Getting a standardized translation for tasks would be a bonus. And if ANN couldn't give them the proper result for any particular person they could still ask the original releasers in Japan and then contribute the result to ANN. It's such an obvious synergy that no one is making use of; just compare it with the way IBM is supporting the Apache webserver project by assigning some of their own staff to the developer crew. And shouldn't the U.S. anime releasers be able to support ANN in filling the task translation table?

By the way, fansubbers should have the same attitude (if they even bother translating credits in their releases); after all they're in exactly the same boat as the anime companies are about this particular aspect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1