• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo Unable to License Rest of Yawara! Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
This sucks....

No...this sucks!

Yawara is one of my favorite series ever and the fact that AnimEigo can't continue it makes me a very sad panda. Sad Were the DVD sales that bad?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
So what's the reason? Too expensive? Not making enough money on the first one? Japan pulling that reverse importation crap?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't think so. They said they can't get the right, not that they don't want to.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I don't think so. They said they can't get the right, not that they don't want to.

"Can't get" is corporate-speak for "it is not financially feasible to get." They probably judged how well the sales of the first set were to gauge how much they could afford to spend on more licenses. If that is less than the Japanese will sell it for, then tough noogies.

Anyway, I didn't realize AnimEigo didn't have the whole series licensed already. If I had known that I might have been more hesitant to drop the money on the first box set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I would figure it wouldn't be all that expensive to license a nearly 20-year-old anime series. I mean, it's not like trying to license Bleach or Naruto. But perhaps sales on the first box were better than I expected.
O-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Well behind Bang Zoom's statement earlier in the week this is just another sign that the anime industry is having trouble even when it comes to sub only companies that are far more resereved.

O-chan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
johnmora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
After paying $5 for the four episode sampler, I'm not exactly mourning the loss. It wasn't my cup of tea, after seeing Urasawa's Monster and Pluto works.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Just a thought, but Urasawa's increasing popularity in the US (thanks to Monster, Pluto, 20th Century Boys, etc.) may have made the license holders increase their asking price, too. I didn't ever pick up Yawara!, but this is still bummer news...Animeigo puts stuff out rarely enough as it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
while this isn't good news, and I'm happy AnimEigo is still "in business"...they've really shifted into being a live-action Japanese foreign film import company. I think its more like when FUNimation canceled Hell Girl season 2; it just wasn't economically feasible, relative to the amount of money they were willing to invest.

I do not see this as a sign that AnimEigo is "going out of business"; but really, they left "the anime business", for the most part, a while ago, for greener pastures.
HatsumiShinogu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
This is so sad and disappointing. I was anticipating the second box set for a long time and now this? I didn't expect the delay to be a license issue. Well, he did say "so far" so maybe there is still a little hope. I, for one, loved the first box set and I want to see more.
Umino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Good luck AnimEgo Very Happy. I've been looking forward to having the series complete.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I was finally able to buy the boxed set!!

I REALLY hope they can finish this series, but I understand why it's a hard sell. 80-100 dollar boxsets (even if they're good quality and have 40 eps) on a 20 year old show is not an easy sell. I hate to see this license die...Sad
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Ah bummer.
old_yoshi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I hope someday it gets released. It would be nice to know how the series ends.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
wow, this sucks. I always hold off buying a set (like Funi's or neo-ADVs half-seasons) until it's complete and I held off with Yawara back then, but waited so long I completely forgot about it until now.

Hopefully they keep on trying and succeed, without going bankrupt doing so Smile or I wonder if someone else can pick it up....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6