• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hetalia US Premiere and Cast Panel

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, and here I thought fifteening was a thing of the past.

There went any chance of me supporting FUNimation's release of it.
musouka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you know what Hetalia needed? Cuss words and Nazi jokes.

Thanks for filling in those gaps that the Japanese version left, Funimation. Rolling Eyes
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, despite the radical changes it seems from the original, I'm still going to pick this up, more than likely will still share it with my friends, and all the same still laugh my ass off at the crazy accents and the dub track in general.

I'm going to hope that there is some sort of outtakes track as an extra on the release - I'd love to hear a bit of what they cut out from their dub.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I have been watching the clips FUNI posted on youtube, I gotta say I think it is a funny dub. Seems like just the kind of humor I need. Making fun of others and ourselves with no seriousness or harm. Just helps me lighten up and laugh. Oh and the accents are Hilarious. Gonna pick this up.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I lol'd at Italy's virgin (olive oil) joke... though all in all I was somehow expecting the changes to be more off kilter and crazy. The original Japanese version was entertaining with a few chuckles here and there, but not hilarious in the least. It's probably because of the style of humor, but to be honest I didn't find the well-done dub any funnier either, except for a couple of instances Sad even though I was expecting it to be. I also didn't see anything even remotely 18+ rating worthy in the first two dub episodes...
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
The dub is something I'm going to share with my friends and family. While the Japanese version is fun, the dub mixes in humor that the average teen or young adult is going to find funny. And I only associate closely with people who understand the "offensiveness on purpose" deal, so I don't have to worry about them taking it too literally Very Happy I already enjoy the original, and I have a feeling I'll be enjoying it in English as well. So I'll be happy with both language tracks.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But before the Q&A got underway, there was a special video message played from Eric Vale, the voice of America and Canada. Vale, surrounded by American flags and other stars-and-stripes paraphernalia, explained, in an America-like fashion, why he couldn't make it to Otakon (he just had other things to do) while stuffing his face with a cheeseburger and fries. He even took a phone call in the middle of the video and ignored the audience completely.

I like to see that video just for LOL. IS there a way I can see this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if people will still complain about the Britain/England thing. Well, people do still use "Horo" regardless...

mdo7 wrote:
Quote:
But before the Q&A got underway, there was a special video message played from Eric Vale, the voice of America and Canada. Vale, surrounded by American flags and other stars-and-stripes paraphernalia, explained, in an America-like fashion, why he couldn't make it to Otakon (he just had other things to do) while stuffing his face with a cheeseburger and fries. He even took a phone call in the middle of the video and ignored the audience completely.

Hopefully, FUNimation puts it up on their YouTube account. Maybe wait a couple days.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Wonder if people will still complain about the Britain/England thing. Well, people do still use "Horo" regardless...

mdo7 wrote:
Quote:

Hopefully, FUNimation puts it up on their YouTube account. Maybe wait a couple days.

I hope they put up the video. I love to see that. Also, I'm kind of glad the Japanese production team told Funi to change England to Britain:

Quote:
When asked why Funimation chose to use "Britain" instead of "England," Ingram noted that it was a request from the Japanese production staff.

My reason, historical accuracy. Back in WW2, England was known as Great Britain, so I think it fits the setting in Hetalia. Good idea for the changes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, as long as there is no Scotland, North Ireland, or Wales then I would think that using "Great Britain" is fine.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Well, as long as there is no Scotland, North Ireland, or Wales then I would think that using "Great Britain" is fine.

I don't know much about Hetalia, but I read that they do exist (at least Scotland and Wales) as Britain's younger brothers, but have yet to make any sort of appearance. Britain's supposed to be "representative" of the family I believe...
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

According to Himaruya, Britain is supposed to represent the entire sovereign state (as in, the UK) while separate characters exist to represent individual countries, sans England, as Britain represent both the UK and England.

It's a bit confusing, but that's apparently how it is...There are random references to the other UK nations as Britain's siblings, both on Himaruya's blog and sometimes in the series, though.

Now, let's just hope they use Netherlands over Holland! I think in the subs they did.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:

Thanks for filling in those gaps that the Japanese version left, Funimation. Rolling Eyes

thank you for saying eloquently what I couldn't even form in my brain due to the RAGE.
derpMonster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
musouka wrote:

thank you for saying eloquently what I couldn't even form in my brain due to the RAGE.

Wait, the Original Japanese Anime didn't have that??? I thought they directly translated dialogue word for word!
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
derpMonster wrote:
Saturn wrote:
musouka wrote:

Wait, the Original Japanese Anime didn't have that??? I thought they directly translated dialogue word for word!

The subtitles follow the Japanese script more closely while the dub's script intentionally takes some liberties.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4