• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Gaoing the Distance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedLeader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:03 am Reply with quote
Woooo! GAO! GAI! GAAAAAAAAAAAAR!!!!!!!!! Yes, yes, MORE people needed to watch that show! I only wish the majority of American anime fans did not share Erin's sentiments about robot shows... -_- Though, maybe if marketted better, put on TV, or something, maybe GGG would've been the show to start turning American fans onto robot shows but... Oh, well... Our nation's fans and our neighbors to the North will continue to be cold blooded, I guess... -_-

It really is too bad the second half didn't get dubbed. After watching just the first episode, I was genuinely convinced from that moment on that Dan Green was put on this Earth EXCLUSIVELY to play Chief Taiga. But sadly, he cannot fulfill his destiny now... Anime cry

I hope the rumors about MB aren't true... I have to finish getting Dairugger before that happens! :O
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:02 am Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
On a tangent, wasn't there a live action Guyver? I seem to remember Mark Hamil being in it, and it was funny in a really cheesy late 80's sort of way. Or I was drinkin' too much. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ah to be young and insane...

There were two, in fact - The Guyver and Guyver: Dark Hero. The cover for the video release of the first prominently displays Mark Hamill's name and half his face alongside half of Guyver 1's face, making an obvious implication...despite the fact that Hamill actually just plays a supporting role and some other guy is the main character (named "Sean Barker" in this adaptation).

The second film is a good time, and replaces the lead actor with a young David Hayter, who is now probably most known for voicing Solid Snake for the Metal Gear Solid games. He also has a few anime voice credits, most notably Lupin III in the newer Manga Entertainment dub of Castle of Cagliostro and Bernie in Gundam 0080.

Also: Much sadness about Media Blaster's current situation, I hope they manage to tough it out somehow. They gave us stuff like GaoGaiGar, Tekkaman Blade, and half of the Apocalypse Zero manga when it seemed like there was no hope at all of getting such things, and I'm grateful to them for that. Guess I'd better badger everyone I know about buying Moribito or something...
Hi-Chan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:27 am Reply with quote
I hope Media Blasters can hang on ;Kashimashi was the first sub only series I had purchased.Besides the ones mentioned by others Girls High and Ramen Fighter Miki and Simoun are series with cheap collections available that should be scooped up.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote
I don't know where I can find it, but there was a pretty good graph detailing the progressive awesomeness of GGG. It starts out with the absurd microwave fridge blasters and only get more and more awesome as the episodes go by. I was honestly surprised Erin even reviewed GGG, and more so that she liked the first disc, since most are of the opinion that the series begins to get good around the intro of Volfogg and hits its highmark during the middle, but more love of GGG is never EVER a bad thing.

I truly hope MB doesn't go out of business, they still have so much stuff I want to get from them, and really hope they stick around for a while.
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:29 am Reply with quote
RedLeader wrote:
It really is too bad the second half didn't get dubbed. After watching just the first episode, I was genuinely convinced from that moment on that Dan Green was put on this Earth EXCLUSIVELY to play Chief Taiga. But sadly, he cannot fulfill his destiny now... Anime cry

Oh my gosh! Dan Green was the Chief? I watched the show with the Japanese language track, so I never got to hear that... That must be awesome! I've got to check out the English sometime.

GaoGaiGar is jolly good fun, especially for people who like super robots and Saturday-morning rock-em-sock-em swashbuckling. If you're like me, though, and came to the show expecting a huge, dramatic, character-drama-filled epic like Gurren Lagann or Giant Robo (or even the Gunbusters), you might be shocked by how completely uncomplicated it is. The characters are verrrry simple and stay that way all through the series, but you're supposed to be rooting for them, not trying to get involved in their character development. I didn't get the same sense of personal investment that I did with some other Super Robot shows, but the toon is totally worth watching for the rowdy fun and butt-kickin'. The last couple of episodes are a real thrill; I watched the last two volumes in the same day because it was getting so fun.

Also: it has the best theme song ever!! Okay, maybe it's tied with King Gainer in that regard... but it's still amazing! Even if you have no interest in the show, you've got to look up the theme song on Youtube or something and give it a watch. It's so cool!
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:54 am Reply with quote
Despite seeing much of it I would never call myself a Guyver fanatic, though I do love that second live-action movie, Guyver: Dark Hero. I can't say the same for Guyver TV. I know it's more faithful to the manga I never read, but it's just so sanitized. Just compare the various anime incarnations of The Guyver over the years. Each one starts off with the exact same fight against the exact same monster, but the devil's in the details. In the original Guyver: Out of Control, when he breaks both arms of that Zoanoid by bending its elbows the opposite way, red blood sprays EVERYONE and the bones stick out. It's beautiful. Each remake is more simply animated, slower paced, and less graphically violent than what preceded it, and the TV series is the most recent one. Its ADV tagline was "the new face of ultraviolence." That always seemed odd to me. Meet the new face, same as the old face. Only far less so.

I'm actually quite surprised you liked the final part of Soul Eater. For me, once it deviated from the manga in Part 3, it was all downhill from there. The final episode in particular seemed to run completely contrary to the greater overarching theme of the series: spoiler[if the idea is that everyone's supposed to work together such that when people of diametrically opposing goals and ideals [guys and girls] find common ground they can overcome the biggest obstacles, doesn't Maka saving the day ENTIRELY BY HERSELF (no resonance, no weapon, no anything) undermine all of that? They built that villain up so heavily--having him defeat everyone in the series established as "far more powerful than the main cast," as someone voiced by Toshio Furukawa rightfully deserves to--only to have him be dropped by one impact-less strike that "everyone is capable of"? Massively disappointing.]

PS: your evaluation of Scott Pilgrim as "hyper-violent" can only be described as "hyper-bole"! How can something be "hyper-violent" if nobody bleeds or even gets bruised as a result of being punched in the face? People don't even "die," they're "defeated." You probably can't even have a "hyper"-violent PG-13 movie because the PG-13 credo is "you can have all the violence you want, but there can be no visible bodily consequences from it." From a "romantic comedy" standpoint, which is what the movie REALLY is (it's not an action movie, don't be misled by the trailers or TV spots), I suppose it qualifies as "violent" within the confines of that genre. I wouldn't know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Icelus469

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:12 am Reply with quote
@Andrew's Shelves:

The TICK! Awesome!

A+ on the rest of the collection too
GuyverC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see a review of the 2005 Guyver series by someone who never grew up with the series in the past.

Being a die hard Guyver fan from the first day I rented the old ADVision VHS tapes, I enjoyed the new series, yes... But it had a few too many things wrong with it, that all the marketing that ADV tried to pull off, couldn't save it.

- People remember the old OAV for the geysers of blood, and the gore. Sure, the manga, which this was based more directly on, doesn't have all the blood spilling... But still, as an adaptation, it should really have upped that aspect. Calling it "The New Face of Ultra Violence" was a Marketing failure, as the new series wasn't "Ultra Violent", and really turned off a lot of people.

- The way the plot was handled, it was sadly designed for Fans. But fans only. When I showed the series to friends, I found myself having to explain some details to them because the series just decided the casual viewer didn't need to know.

- Guyver is OLD. Back when it was first created in the mid 80's, some of it's ideas weren't quite overused... yet... But now they have... And Guyvers age shows itself very poorly to today's Anime fan. Did they try and update it? Yes... There was new character development, that Guyver fans enjoyed... But by more recent standards, it was pretty bland. Takaya wasn't a very good writer at the start of the manga, so a lot of plot suffered for it.

ADV took a big risk with this series ( considering they were heavily involved in it's production), and sadly they missed the mark almost completely. Sure, it was a nice little gift for Guyver fans, but they failed to create a new market for it.

Still, I personally loved the Blu-Ray release... Even if it isn't true HD, it still looks better than the DVDs.

As a fan of Gaogaigar as well, glad to hear you liked it, despite being told you probably could skip the first half. Really is a shame we'll probably never get a licensed version of GGG: FINAL... If someone buys the TV series on DVD... I swear this is one of those rare times where someone who doesn't believe in downloading fansubs might lose out... (Unless in an act of complete awesomeness, Media Blasters lets out one final epic yell and licenses the 8 part sequel... One can dream...)
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
A warning on that particular Moribito set. You may need to replace the crappy case it comes in (8 discs stacked literally on top of each other).

Aha! So buy eight blank boxes and the artbox for the volumes, and bob's your uncle.
CheechMonger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I just started watching GaoGaiGar the other night. It's not perhaps a masterpiece, but it's still a lot of fun, and it's keeping my interest, so it's definitely something to get sooner rather than later (in case it does disappear altogether. Same goes for Moribito).

I've got Guyver in my backlog when I bought it singles and artbox as a bundle from Right Stuf. I saw the first episode when it was on a DVD that came with a copy of New Type (I think) and it didn't seem that terrible, but maybe it just goes downhill from there? Either way, I'll have to check it out.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Erin, can you expand the all-girl commentary ladies with Monica Rial? The cast list is pretty long full of females and it'd be impressive if they were all on the track.

A shame there's no on-screen interviews. I really enjoy watching VAs craft their talent on camera. Stuns me how some voices really get to where they are.

Ramen Fighter Miki is from Media Blasters too. [/plug]
Twisted Evil
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
I believe that there can be good sentai, I just haven't seen it yet. I'm friends with Mike Dent, you know?

I have no idea who that is. But I will assume he is some pen-ultimate of the Western Sentai community, so to that; awesome.

Mike is the host of the R5 Central podcast, another Otaku USA Magazine writer, and lately he's doing the magazine's official "Friday Ace" podcast, too. He runs panels at conventions about sentai, I think.

ArthurFrDent wrote:
I suppose if MB ever sends me the disk, then I can stop hating them... But their customer service is crap, or has become that way.

I think if they had a customer service person, I'm sure he or she got laid off a long time ago.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Erin, can you expand the all-girl commentary ladies with Monica Rial? The cast list is pretty long full of females and it'd be impressive if they were all on the track.

That'd mean putting the disc back in...

OK, the other two ladies were Colleen Clinkenbeard and Maxey Whitehead.

Anime World Order wrote:
I'm actually quite surprised you liked the final part of Soul Eater. For me, once it deviated from the manga in Part 3, it was all downhill from there. The final episode in particular seemed to run completely contrary to the greater overarching theme of the series:

I hated the first few chapters of the manga, so I haven't read more of it. In any case, you're right, the ending was pretty left-field for spoiler[any theme of working together]. It seemed to fall into some kind of shonen cliche zone, where spoiler[as long as you keep getting up in a fight, you can defeat your opponent by punching him in the face - particularly if you have the right philosophy or pure heartedness behind those punches]. Nevertheless, I thought the ending was well animated and felt satisfying to watch.

Anime World Order wrote:
PS: your evaluation of Scott Pilgrim as "hyper-violent" can only be described as "hyper-bole"! How can something be "hyper-violent" if nobody bleeds or even gets bruised as a result of being punched in the face? P... From a "romantic comedy" standpoint...I suppose it qualifies as "violent" within the confines of that genre.

You of all people have given a lot more thought to the definition of the word "violence" than I have. The violence in Scott Pilgrim is cartoon violence, which is often loosely defined as no-blood and no-consequences by Practices and Standards departments of more than one company I've worked for. I'm confident that Scott Pilgrim is the most violent romantic comedy film of all time.

I want to call it a "comedy" because "romantic comedy" is such a women's ghetto of filmmaking. I believe it has a much wider appeal to men than the average romantic comedy. That said, it is totally a romantic comedy.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Raikuro wrote:
A warning on that particular Moribito set. You may need to replace the crappy case it comes in (8 discs stacked literally on top of each other).

Aha! So buy eight blank boxes and the artbox for the volumes, and bob's your uncle.

Just remember regular DVD cases won't fit into the new box. It was meant to carry the cases that came with the original crappy box. That is the whole reason this even exists. Yes I got both.

Super Jewel Box Kings standard width is what the box is designed to carry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Just remember regular DVD cases won't fit into the new box. It was meant to carry the cases that came with the original crappy box. That is the whole reason this even exists. Yes I got both.

Super Jewel Box Kings standard width is what the box is designed to carry.

So, just to be clear, there three general types of Super Jewel Boxes: Kings, Plus, and Standard. One type of SJB King is SBJ King One/Two. Is that the one you're saying is supposed to fit in that case? I want to be absolutely sure I'm getting the right cases. If it is the SBJ King One/Two case, that means I'll need to order 4 of them and that'll fill up the art box, right?

(BTW, thanks for posting this info. I wasn't too happy with having 8 CDs on one spindle like that.)
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
If it is the SBJ King One/Two case, that means I'll need to order 4 of them and that'll fill up the art box, right?

No, you will need eight King One/Two's. The box is designed for eight cases. The One/Two is capable of carrying 2 discs (stacked), but the official releases only put one disc in each case. Therefore the box is built for eight. Though in reality it is only as wide as about 5½ regular DVD cases.

The King Fliptray is also the right dimension, but why get it if you only need one disc each. The King Slim is not the right dimension. The Plus and Standard models are also wrong.

Quote:
(BTW, thanks for posting this info. I wasn't too happy with having 8 CDs on one spindle like that.)

Anytime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5