• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man Who Burned Down Home Over Gundam Models Gets 4 Years

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The defense argued for suspended sentence, by which the man would not serve time if he maintains good behavior, by saying that the man fell into despair because the plastic models had become as important to him as a part of his body. Judge Hiroshi Mori rejected the request.

People burn down houses after losing some of their body parts? No wonder the defense lost. Laughing
Ulinox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like he belongs in a mental institution rather than prison. Oh well, 4 years should give him time to think things over.
Gentry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
It's sort of understandable though isn't it. Some of those models can be so expensive.

If they were taken away from him then maybe it's excusable to burn yourself alive.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I'd be pretty upset if my Transformers collection was taken away, some of which include the original G1 toys in excellent condition, but I wouldn't burn my house over it.

I mean how could someone throw away GUNDAMS?!
Gentry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I can sort of sense his reasoning though. I mean if he's dead then at least it isn't weighing on his mind.

I accidently included my copy of Video Girl Ai in a box of Dvd's I was giving to a charity shop and still I sometimes think about it and curse my luck.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
I mean how could someone throw away GUNDAMS?!

I see you've never had a spiteful significant other or a parent who believes the child is on the wrong track.
Yeah, it's wrong, but if that other person doesn't value it, sees your precious item as "stupid crap", they possibly WILL chuck it out of spite or in the hope it will force you to stop paying attention on that & start paying attention to them/work/getting a significant other/a career/whatever.
You don't burn down the fricken house which puts not only anyone else in it at risk, but usually also requires government resources to contain so others won't also be harmed.
There are many other means he could have used to take himself out if he really wanted to. This sounds like a temper tantrum or mental illness. There isn't enough info here top indicate mental illness, not did the court buy it.
Scormio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
What do they mean by taken away? If they were stolen, then I can sympathize with the man. If he lost them due to financial problems, then he had more to worry about than just his Gundam models.
ponlork

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
What do they mean by taken away? If they were stolen, then I can sympathize with the man. If he lost them due to financial problems, then he had more to worry about than just his Gundam models.

I believe it was his mother who threw it away. I could sympathize with him, it may have been something valuable and irreplaceable to him. Like, if someone owns a copy of Action Comics #1 that they held in their possession for generations, and all of a sudden someone comes along and decides that it's junk and just throws it away then yeah I can see someone being extremely angry to the point where they become momentarily insane. Unless it was something like DVDs or stuff you can easily replace then dude has issues, but if it's something of importance that he cherishes then I can understand why he did what he did
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:

you can click the link provided and read the article from last year -- his mom threw the models out.

and then apparently she was in the house when he tried to burn it all down.

though the report indicates he doused himself in gasoline, not her. and she got out without harm, too.

it's all just sad.
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
The guy sounds nuts to me....

If someone took my anime or manga collection I'd be upset, but would simply replace them with new volumes and disks.

It's unhealthy to be this attached to replaceable inanimate objects....I could see someone getting more upset about something irreplaceable....let's say..... the only remaining photograph of your deceased mother, but even THAT isn't worth burning your house over.....

Anime smile + sweatdrop
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Gentry wrote:
I accidently included my copy of Video Girl Ai in a box of Dvd's I was giving to a charity shop and still I sometimes think about it and curse my luck.

I should inform you of the small number of "Very Good" used copies on Amazon, in case such information helps to rectify your mistake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
"My Precious!"

Now his mom will have to feed him in prison. I wonder how she thought this was going to end.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
"My Precious!"

Now his mom will have to feed him in prison. I wonder how she thought this was going to end.

She probably didn't suspect the Itano Circus.

"NO ONE expects the Itano Circus!!
Our chief weapon is ..."

Last edited by gartholamundi on Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Shocked While I would be seriously peeved if my Mother threw out any of my Gunpla or other collectables I certainly wouldn't condone arson and/or self immolation. I mean, wow, this guy probably needs psychological help more than anything else.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I wonder who took the models away? His wife, his mother, a loan shark...

Anyways, I agree that he belongs in a psychiatric ward, not a prison.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3