• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cowboy Bebop BD Box to Include Novel, Ein Picture Drama

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Gundam Wing is still quite popular, among the circles that care about 15 year old mecha series not named "Evangelion"

Gundam Wing is not well-liked by hardcore mecha fans, and Evangelion is a great series but not in relation to the mecha genre.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
530 bucks for the Limited Edition? I woulda thought the price would have come down a bit for a re-release of a nearly 15 year old anime.

Quote:
If an American release did ship, when would be reasonable time delay to not irritate the Japanese fears of reverse importation, a year?

Longer then that, I'm sure. Its topping the Amazon preorder rankings right now for all DVD/BDs, so its a significant release. They won't let it go over here anytime soon.

Nope! This is Japan where the logic of lower prices for something that's made its money several times over doesn't figure in...

Yeesh... Even the millionth re-release of the original Star TV series on BD was MUCH cheaper than this and that show was six times longer than Cowboy Bebop! (Bebop's like 26 half-hour episodes long; Trek has roughly 78 hour-long episodes -- and don't get technical on me with the pilot episode(s) and variants B.S., okay?)

Nope... I'm happy with the Bebop remix DVDs... Those are (almost) the way the series was originally released on TV in standard-def.
[NOTE: Audio was remixed in 5.1 -- the original Japanese edition TV version was 2.0 stereo -- and a few pieces of audio/music were altered in an episode or two of the show. Frankly, I'm not that anal where Bebop is concerned and got the remix DVD's for better visuals and audio. I doubt the BDs will be that much better...]

I liked the show but not so much to spring for what I see as an unnecessarily expensive, uncalled for upgrade.

I feel the same way for the original Macross TV series which I appreciate about 5-8 times more than I ever did Bebop. That show's 15 years older than Bebop and Bandai wanted $500 for a BD edition where all the animation mistakes and bad drawings show up 6 times better than before???? LOL
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, it seems Bandai/Sunrise's new "let's include English subs in our BDs" initiative is only in effect for newer shows like Tiger & Bunny, Sacred Seven, Gundam Age, Horizon and Accel World.

Despite how popular Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop are in the US, they just couldn't bother making the BD-boxes more attractive for English-speaking viewers. And I'll end up buying them anyway.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Bebop sold like 7K average a volume in Japan. Not bad, but nothing noteworthy either.

Initial release of Cowboy Bebop averaged 16.7k copies/vol. Then it had a re-release which sold 28.3k copies, so in total it averaged 45k copies sold, the #5 pre-2000 series as far as Oricon sales data goes. Most definitely it is noteworthy.

Source
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Bebop sold like 7K average a volume in Japan. Not bad, but nothing noteworthy either.

Initial release of Cowboy Bebop averaged 16.7k copies/vol. Then it had a re-release which sold 28.3k copies, so in total it averaged 45k copies sold, the #5 pre-2000 series as far as Oricon sales data goes. Most definitely it is noteworthy.

Source

Where are the numbers from DVD Wiki coming from then? Says about 7-8k average while it aired (though it did sell well when they released a box set later)

http://dvdbd.wiki.fc2.com/wiki/カウボーイビバップ?sid=64d778040154cd6fa2199ad3ebb32191

And combining volume sales + a later box sales doesn't count. If we did then the sales numbers on Mania itself would be completely different, like Haruhi should have about 70k sales while its only listed at 40k for example.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
If I were to guess, it's that the DVDwiki is not counting the VHS release of Bebop. You can check out the Livedoor thread and try to make heads or tails of their data if you want.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
To my knowledge, Bebop was only massively popular in the west, though I may be wrong.

Rearing it constantly for over a decade straight isn't a good barometer of it being "popular."
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
That would be pretty sweet to have but unless it eventually gets a reasonably priced NA release I'm sticking with my dvds. I'm willing to spend some coin, but 3 bills plus? No chance.

I feel the same way.

Cowboy Bebop is my favorite anime of all time, but even for my favorite anime of all time, which I already have on DVD, I'm not spending that ridiculous amount. Would be nice to have that story of how Spike and Jet first met, though.

Sunday Silence wrote:
Galap wrote:
To my knowledge, Bebop was only massively popular in the west, though I may be wrong.

Rearing it constantly for over a decade straight isn't a good barometer of it being "popular."

It being Bandai Entertainment's number one seller of all time might be, though.

(animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2011-12-16)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Galap wrote:

It being Bandai Entertainment's number one seller of all time might be, though.

There that, and it's being very highly rated on ANN (by the Bayesian estimate and weighted average) as well as amongs the most viewed (third most viewed, at the moment). It also makes a strong showing on MAL. So I think that it's safe to say that Cowboy Bebop has been quite popular in the west.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
am I the only one looking at this and thinking 'yeah theres no way in hell this'll come to the US especially since bandai japan cut bandai US's legs off cause their business model wouldn't work here in the US no matter how hard they pushed it'. don't get me wrong cowboy bebop is a great anime but I already got it on DVD so I can't see myself spending 5 - 9 times more then what I spent on the DVD set. IF it ever got a US release and something happened to my DVDs I might pick it up if it was reasonably priced that is, but in all honesty after the mess with bandai closing up the US division's shop without letting them have a say in how it should be ran in the US I honestly don't see this or any future blu ray bandai re-releases ever touching US shores short of importing them at a very high and unreasonable price
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
What a ridiculous amount of money to pay for a 26 episode anime.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
am I the only one looking at this and thinking 'yeah theres no way in hell this'll come to the US especially since bandai japan cut bandai US's legs off cause their business model wouldn't work here in the US no matter how hard they pushed it'. don't get me wrong cowboy bebop is a great anime but I already got it on DVD so I can't see myself spending 5 - 9 times more then what I spent on the DVD set. IF it ever got a US release and something happened to my DVDs I might pick it up if it was reasonably priced that is, but in all honesty after the mess with bandai closing up the US division's shop without letting them have a say in how it should be ran in the US I honestly don't see this or any future blu ray bandai re-releases ever touching US shores short of importing them at a very high and unreasonable price

I could also see Cowboy Bebop in BD not having ever a R1 release. And because of that, I do not understand why the Japanese BD set does not have the English dub. Like walw6pK4Alo posted, a few hundred would import this set if it had the English subs and dub.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Shut up and take my money!!!!!

Anyway, I can see the BD coming over here after Bandai's license expires, and the show gets that guaranteed license-rescue (It's freaking Bebop, it's not going to stay OOP). Though who knows how much longer Bandai's license is going to last.
Tylerr wrote:
What a ridiculous amount of money to pay for a 26 episode anime.
Welcome to the world of Japanese anime prices...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Interesting. It's interesting that they're releasing this. To my knowledge, Bebop was only massively popular in the west, though I may be wrong.

In that vein, I'd be quite surprised if they did not release a BD in the US. I'ts freaking Cowboy Bebop after all; a lot of my friends who aren't anime fans like it. Not releasing it in the US would be leaving quite a bit of money on the table.

Cowboy Bebop was the talk of the talk of the town across the globe way back in 1999!

I suspect that Bandai will do a R1 LE collector's edition on BD when they feel the time is right.[/b]
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
I suspect that Bandai will do a R1 LE collector's edition on BD when they feel the time is right.
Except Bandai Entertainment has basically shut down, and is not releasing anything new. There will not be another Cowboy Bebop release from them ever again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6