• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: SankeiBiz: Hatsune Miku Has Earned US$120 Million+

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Not a surprise. Justin Bieber and Twilight are very very profitable too.

Meanwhile some good stuff is just scrapping by, budget wise.
partially

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
hmmm US$120.28 million seems like a pretty low number, unless they are talking about purely profit and not gross revenue.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
They're probably talking about their own revenue - if you count the total gross revenue for Miku merch(ie, what the licensees get), it's almost certainly much higher.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
i have two hatsune miku greatest hits albums from a while ago and they have many catchy songs. better than anything bieber or selena gomez ever put out.
mochichan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
LOL considering the statistic up there, pretty sure Miku is more of an Otaku thing rather than anything mainstream. I follow Oricon and selling 33k in one week isn't popular, selling over 100k in the first week is. Considering the Tokyo Dome City hall can hold 55000, having 10k in one night is really low...lot of sad empty seats there....and chances are fans are probably buying tickets to multiple showings. Also to have only 100+ million after 5 yrs is pretty low. Can't stand vocaloid as a whole, I like some of their songs however most producers just producer scrambled electronic mess and the popular ones like Miku have such amazingly annoying voices.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
mochichan wrote:
LOL considering the statistic up there, pretty sure Miku is more of an Otaku thing rather than anything mainstream. I follow Oricon and selling 33k in one week isn't popular, selling over 100k in the first week is. Considering the Tokyo Dome City hall can hold 55000, having 10k in one night is really low...lot of sad empty seats there....and chances are fans are probably buying tickets to multiple showings. Also to have only 100+ million after 5 yrs is pretty low. Can't stand vocaloid as a whole, I like some of their songs however most producers just producer scrambled electronic mess and the popular ones like Miku have such amazingly annoying voices.

You don't know what are you talking about.
33k in one week is consider very good. not many artist can do that.
You name me an artist in the last couple of year that sold 100k in a week? i mean artist, not a group.

all miku's concerts were sold out. There is no empty seats. 10k is sold out because you other spots are just for hologram projector and certain seat can't be used because you just can't see the hologram in that spot.
This is the same for the LA concert.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/03/hatsune-miku-concert-sold-out-in-tokyo-japan/
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:31 am Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
i have two hatsune miku greatest hits albums from a while ago and they have many catchy songs. better than anything bieber or selena gomez ever put out.

But then, you're not a teenager, I think. Laughing
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
Did the article really compare Pokemon and VOCALOID?
VOCALOID is popular, for sure, but it would need to become a TRUE international phenomenon and last for years to come in order to surpass the total revenue of Pokemon... thus far. >.>;;;

egoist wrote:

Not a surprise. Justin Bieber and Twilight are very very profitable too.

Meanwhile some good stuff is just scrapping by, budget wise.

I will admit that VOCALOID sounds quite awkward to people who don't end up getting used to the digital, high-pitch noise that makes some of the songs hard to listen to without cringing... but as a whole, VOCALOID is less about the product itself (at least, to the fans who use it) and more about the creative freedom it allows people to explore. There are quite a few gems out there that take advantage of the unique digital voice to give us something more fitting for the voice type.
"Last Night, Good Night" is extremely beautiful and "Hatsune Miku no Shoushitsu" just wouldn't be possible without venturing the possibilities of the digital-voice medium--not to mention the artistic creativity in both of the videos of the songs.

To generalize VOCALOID as a low-quality product that has over-stayed its popularity is ignoring the possibilities and potential is has to become something greater... not to mention, it is also ignoring the stuff that is actually good already.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

To generalize VOCALOID as a low-quality product that has over-stayed its popularity is ignoring the possibilities and potential is has to become something greater... not to mention, it is also ignoring the stuff that is actually good already.

It's also allowed a new crop of musicians and producers to get their works heard, which is probably one of the most important facets of the whole Vocaloid phenomenon.

A lot of arguments I've heard/read against vocaloid is pretty much the same ones used when digital music production became really popular in the late 90s that allowed the bloom of bedroom musicians cranking music out on Reason, for example.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Thsee figures put out are impressive from the standpoint of the unconventional type of marketability that Vocaloid presents us. To compare it with something else and say it's not successful is just comparing apples and oranges. It does not go by any traditional business models because Vocaloid was never intended to be just another consumer product. In fact Yamaha and Crypton Future Media never expected what kind of success it would have. They just sort of threw it out there and it was because of demand from fans that it grew and spawned all these different product avenues, which are still expanding.

Those who say Vocaloid isn't successfull is still thinking of the music industry in terms of a corporate firewall made up of record labels that artists hide behind while consumers, who are allowed no creative input, are having their wallets sucked dry from rising costs to fight piracy.

Vocaloid isn't that. The kind of disestablishment trend Miku has brought by optimizing the relationship between imagination and the internet speaks of her success more than mere profit numbers. The music industry simply failed to adapt to the market as the internet came into being. Now we have Miku, it's about time to move on.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

It's also allowed a new crop of musicians and producers to get their works heard, which is probably one of the most important facets of the whole Vocaloid phenomenon.

A lot of arguments I've heard/read against vocaloid is pretty much the same ones used when digital music production became really popular in the late 90s that allowed the bloom of bedroom musicians cranking music out on Reason, for example.

To add onto what superdry and Juno016 are saying, it's not only amateur musicians and producers getting recognized, but amateur singers too. There have been so many covers of popular Vocaloid songs (since the inflow of more songs create a larger selection) that some have become famous off of. In a way, human singers can win from the use of Vocaloid too. I'm quite happy the product itself has become popular and profitable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1