• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hiiro no Kakera (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Hiiro no Kakera just started streaming and I caught the first episode.

Few anime show this much promise in the first episode. The artwork is beautiful and the story gets a solid start (maybe a bit too quick) leaving you wanting more.

I think Tamaki is a hard role to write for. They struck the right middle, not making her too clueless or too quick on the uptake. She seems a likable girl, although with all these guys standing around her saying spoiler["we're here to protect you" she never once wonders, "protect me from what?"]

Anybody else here watching?
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, it was just awful. I couldn't finish the first episode and I'm definitely not revisiting this series.

As you've pointed out, the art is pretty good. I don't mind reverse harem so much, but this anime is pretty much rubbing the stereotypes in my face.

The story looks okay. Not much of it in the first episode, which means that will not be the focus of the series. Therefore the focus will most likely be character development. And I'm clearly not interested in the characters.
4750G

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
For me, it was okay. I'm pretty sure Tamaki will be a stereotype damsel in distress a few episodes after but I like how she's questioning things. Plus she's not the normal kind of heroine who gets starstruck by all the bishies surrounding her. The story seems to be interesting, although I did not like how it was presented (Takuma said that Baba-sama will be able to explain the situation clearly but she didn't). I think I'll continue watching a few more episodes before I decide if I'm gonna keep it.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
i watched the first ep few weeks ago on CR. I think this anime is ok, but it has been done many times. Good for people who just get into anime.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not 100% sure if I'll be watching this after episode 1 or not, hopefully the next 2-3 episodes convince me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote
It appears that no one is watching this and, if they are, they certainly aren't excited enough to post about it.

I'm bored so...

Here's a brief recap:

Episode 1 - Episode 8
They will say the same things over and over and never really accomplish anything.

Yeah. This show should be really good given how visually appealing it is and the assumed content from the introduction. There's so much talk of the impending doom that, by episode 8 I just want them to bring it and end the freaking show. At this point, I don't care if anyone lives or dies. None of the characters have any depth, they're all just cardboard cut-outs reciting a terribly boring and repetitive script.

I guess I'll finish it since I'm so invested, but... it's practically torture.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
Another member of the "I'm Watching This, But I Don't Really Know Why" Brigade. Actually, I do kinda know. Apparently, I sort of dig reverse harems. Who knew? I don't know, I just find it cute when a cute girl is surrounded by guys who kind of give her a hard time. What's a bit different about this seeming reverse harem is that none of the dudes actually seem romantically interested in her.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
What's a bit different about this seeming reverse harem is that none of the dudes actually seem romantically interested in her.

Thus making it even more bland! Anime cry I mean, the guys could at least look at her like she's a female and stop just being all "We do as she says." "We're your muscle." Ugh. So tired of that.

I really wanted to like this because I enjoyed Fushigi Yugi and was hoping for a shorter, better animated knock-off. lol Guess I'm not getting that...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
It appears that no one is watching this and,

If you hadn't posted to this thread I would never have remembered that I watched episode 1. And I was the OP!

Based on the comments, next time I am having a hard time falling asleep I'll cue this up on the iPad.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Bento-Box wrote:
It appears that no one is watching this and,

If you hadn't posted to this thread I would never have remembered that I watched episode 1. And I was the OP!

Based on the comments, next time I am having a hard time falling asleep I'll cue this up on the iPad.

Yes, this is definitely a nice little lullaby. Unfortunately, if I watch something before bed, it creeps into my dreams. This is one of the last things I would want to dream about... Then again, I wonder if my subconscious could come up with something better for all those good looking guys to do rather than standing around talking... hmmm... Twisted Evil
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Ugh. How can an episode that has vastly more action than the previous episodes still be horrendously boring?

What's worse is that it's not even the spoiler[main character and her merry men] fighting. It's some spoiler[mountain God fighting the enemies.]. When spoiler[ it died,] I really should have felt bad. But I didn't.

This whole concept of "protecting" The [insert special name here] has been done to death. The concept of having Guardians representing different elements or magics - done to death. The concept of breaking seals to unleash something that will cause massive destruction - done to death. You'd think the creators would try to bring something fresh and exciting to the table.

Instead, we're still slapped senseless with the same repetitive dialogue we've had since like episode 2.

And, not to throw salt on an open wound but...
Edit: If you haven't seen the episode, you could really read this spoiler. It's not anything you haven't heard 40 million times after like Episode 4 anyways.
spoiler[In this episode, Tamaki realizes (after MANY EPISODES of studying) that the powers of her guardians will increase after she becomes the Tamayori Princess.] Really? Well no sh*t. Imagine that. They've already stated spoiler[how weak they are because the current princess is weak]. And, this might be a little too obvious but, they've also stated that spoiler[she's kinda like the pillar for all these seals and shrines. If she is strong, those seals will be stronger too.] So why is this a freaking surprise?! She actually ran after them in the middle of the night to tell them this?! Really?! I was hoping one of them would slap her silly.

At least there was some plot development. The Logos Camp appears to be spoiler[a bit divided now that one of their members is in time out and the leader seems to be getting wishy washy for some (I'm sure) stereotypical villain reason.] No one should be surprised that spoiler[their hot blonde bombshell teacher turned out to be one of the villains either. She was always snooping, following, and would provide eerily appropriate advice.] I'm kind of relieved that they finally got around to revealing it at least. Another spoiler[Shrine fell in this episode as a result of the Logos Members acting independently of their leader.]. During that fight, we're shown that something is going on with the spoiler[lead male's powers and that the leader from the Logos Camp has something to do with it.] I find myself not caring. And, spoiler[ Mr. Government Man] has revealed that he knows the secret to becoming the Tamayori Princess. Too bad he didn't get a chance to tell anyone...

So... as of episode 9, still not much in the way of entertainment. Yes, the plot is actually moving, but I find it difficult to care and even more painful to tolerate the repetition.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just hope she hurries up and becomes a proper Toyota Princess soon...
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, I just hope she hurries up and becomes a proper Toyota Princess soon...

Probably the last episode.

What they haven't revealed is that, in order to become the princess, all of her guardians must have sex with her.

If she's to become the Toyota Princess, they'll have to do her on the hood of a Toyota.
dan7el

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea why I am still watching this show. I think it's not horrible enough to keep me from watching it and I feel like I invested some time in it, so by golly, I will finish it to the end.

Isn't the grandmother already the Tokyo/Toyota/Tomalie princess? Why doesn't she just step up to the plate and go to bat for the young harem studs?

What is it the government guy keeps eating? I want some. Do they have them at my local asian market?

Logos is a Greek word that means "word" and the members of Logos are all numbered in German. This makes no sense, but for added fun, "legomai ego" can mean "I say for myself." That always made me laugh in Greek class in college.

Maybe I just want to know why the Germans in the Greek club want to destroy the world. They can kill the Tomahawk Princess too, for all I care.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I just could not continue to torture myself with the show, and had to stop after the episode after they introduced the villains. It was so painful to watch, princess this princess that, that guy is useless, the reverse harem thing could just not bring it back for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6