• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Option for Russian companies

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Much to my surprise, Russia now has a viable anime industry, with actual official releases of titles like Last Exile, Gunslinger Girl, Jin-Roh, Najica, and Hellsing. Can we include the option to add Russian companies onto the general title information pages?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Really? Because I travelled around the city centers of Saint Petersburg and Moscow and didn't see any comic store or anything similar. Even, the only cartoons I saw on TV were mainly very childish. And, as I don't understand Russian or German, I prefered to watch some german channels where they aired Inuyasha & others.

Or even better, I watched NHK. That's the hotel's best things, hehe. Anyways, if you say that, you're probably right, since I believe you're almost russian.
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:19 pm Reply with quote
ANN's focus is on North America, so it's not likely that Russian companies would be allowed. And if Russian companies were allowed, then other companies from all over the world would have to be entered as well.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:46 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
ANN's focus is on North America, so it's not likely that Russian companies would be allowed. And if Russian companies were allowed, then other companies from all over the world would have to be entered as well.

But aren't Korean, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Arabic, and Dutch companies already allowed? Why not Russian? Question
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't see anything wrong with adding it, provided that we can still separate out everything relevant if/when we get around to rewriting the encyclopedia.

i'm not sure if we'd need to add anything to support the cyrillic alphabet, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with adding it, provided that we can still separate out everything relevant if/when we get around to rewriting the encyclopedia.

i'm not sure if we'd need to add anything to support the cyrillic alphabet, though.

I'm willing to bet that any unicode-enabled font that supports kana and kanji will also support Cyrillic script. But even so, please note that we are already transliterating Japanese names into romaji - so transliteration of Cyrillic names would be completely within precedent.

Come to think of it, the forum software seems to be incompletely unicode-enabled. I tried entering kanji (both as characters, and as HTML entities) in the profile, and the result was a fiasco. I'd like to be able to use kanji and kana in my profile.... *sigh*

Hmm... how about support for Danish anime data? I can provide some material for that...

- 危
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Well...The forums can read with any problem cyrillic characters, I've seen them. Also, at some anime encyclopedia pages, where it does appear its name in different languages, I've noticed that some of them had a name in cyrillic characters (don't ask me, they probably were in russian). I don't know if this helps, just wanted to say it... Anime smile

Btw, is it just me or this would be similar to "Turning ANN a little more european & international"? That would make ANN frontiers larger, thought. So it's not so bad...
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:07 am Reply with quote
One "Russian" and one "Danish", coming up...

As I've said before, if someone wants to add information for a language which isn't yet supported, it's just a matter of asking. Eventually I'd really like to internationalize the encyclopedia and make it available in other languages, and then those extra language options would really make sense. But for now, the extra Russian information will only be useful to people who can read both Russian and English.

Concerning the issue of cyrillic characters, it's probably going to work the same way as Japanese characters: the whole site and database are encoded in ISO-8859-1 so when the browser wants to send a character which is not in that charset, it sends it as an html entity. So titles like 機動警察パトレイバー are in reality saved as 機動警察パトレイバー I really want to switch to UTF-8, but there are a lot of issues to resolve and test... it's going to take time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:16 am Reply with quote
While we're at it, can we also add Tagalog and Chinese, as the Philippines, Taiwan and Hong Kong are extremely viable anime markets? I've been requesting this for over a year.

EDIT: Okay, now I'm pissed. Like I said earlier, I've been asking the higher-ups to add Tagalog and Chinese as available languages; yet it never happened. Then one person asks to have Russian and Danish added; and in a couple of days, his wish is granted. What is wrong with this picture?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:28 am Reply with quote
Same here. Mad

No offense to Arabic anime lovers, but IMHO the scale of their market is less than 1/10 of Chinese anime market (I wish there were more Arabic anime lovers Wink ). Yet ANN has supported Arabic much earlier than now-added Russian and Danish options, not to mention Chinese option which is still nowhere to be found. If any ANNer knows where to find an Arabic anime DVD, please let me know. Cool

Let's take one of the most popular anime movie in history as an example: According to Nausicaa.net, Spirited Away has been translated (either subbed or dubbed) into following languages:

Chinese (Mandarin/Cantonese)
Danish/Norwegian
Dutch
English
French
German
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Polish
Portuguese
Russian
Spanish
Swedish

The bold texts are currently supported by ANN. Maybe we shall add languages for those readily available DVDs (Chinese, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish, etc.).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:49 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with both of you. Anyways, it's obvious that you want to add more things about the Eastern Asia market, since I believe both of you are from there, Anime smile

Just one thing. I wouldn't mind having to add information about, as an example, spanish companies. But seriously, would really people mind about it? Would be really useful for the users? Because, I just know two spanish users here (that counting myself), and...I mean, I don't believe it will really be a "great" idea.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:17 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Okay, now I'm pissed. Like I said earlier, I've been asking the higher-ups to add Tagalog and Chinese as available languages; yet it never happened. Then one person asks to have Russian and Danish added; and in a couple of days, his wish is granted. What is wrong with this picture?

Hmm... I don't really remember about Tagalog, but about Chinese I've said it before and I'll say it again: IT'S NOT A LANGUAGE! So should I add Chinese or Mandarin or Cantonese? If I add "Chinese" does it mean that the Mandarin and Cantonese casts will be merged together? But does it make sense to have something like "Cantonese companies"? There's a lot of confusion possible regarding those three "languages" and I'm not really sure how to handle it; probably the best would be to change the current languages to something like a locale system. For something like Russian and Danish, the language IS the locale, so I added them since it's pretty straightforward. My thinking is that even though we don't really need those other languages right now, it doesn't hurt to have them and the information will come in handy if/when the encyclopedia becomes more international. But since the system is not really adequate to represent the Chinese language(s), I'd rather wait. It's not like we need it.

As for Philippine/Tagalog, I'm ok with it but which one? "Philippine" or "Tagalog"? Either way I don't mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:46 am Reply with quote
Well, at that case, probably you (or we, or whoever you want) should make a little research about which anime & manga market is bigger, the Mandarin or the Cantonese. You know, the Mandarin Chinese is the most spoken language all over the world (not counting those who have english as their second language), but I believe not all Mandarin people do really know what's anime. Maybe for economic questions, who knows...

Anyways, if you say we don't need them, you're who decides...
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Hmm... I don't really remember about Tagalog,

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4471 (Staff Members Only)

Dan42 wrote:
As for Philippine/Tagalog, I'm ok with it but which one? "Philippine" or "Tagalog"? Either way I don't mind.

Put in Tagalog, as it's the official language of the Philippines.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:53 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
No offense to Arabic anime lovers, but IMHO the scale of their market is less than 1/10 of Chinese anime market (I wish there were more Arabic anime lovers Wink ).

So do I:

"Hey Osama, stop that, okay? Look, here's a DVD player and a copy of Onegai Twins - now sit down and behave yourself!"

Rolling Eyes

Yah, I know. I'm incorrigible.

dormcat wrote:
Let's take one of the most popular anime movie in history as an example: According to Nausicaa.net, Spirited Away has been translated (either subbed or dubbed) into following languages:

Chinese (Mandarin/Cantonese)
Danish/Norwegian
Dutch
English
French
German
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Polish
Portuguese
Russian
Spanish
Swedish

The bold texts are currently supported by ANN. Maybe we shall add languages for those readily available DVDs (Chinese, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish, etc.).

I think that's a fair request - I know that there is a comparatively very large and active anime fanbase in Poland, and they deserve to be in on the fun. Besides, Polish and Portuguese and Swedish require no special character support.

- abunai
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2