• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
White Album (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
White Album (TV)

I saw the first episode and it sparked my interest, especially after seeing the character designs.

First off, it reminds of True Tears, especially the character designs. At first, I thought Touya was going to be the really generic has-no-ambitions male lead, but his little eccentricities about his "goddesses" as well as his obvious devotion to Yuki changed my mind. We've already been introduced to Yuki, the typical sweetie who nonetheless didn't seem too manufactured (I especially liked how she twisted the phone cord in her hand while talking to Touya, illustrating how badly she wanted to be connected to him). Then there's Rina, the bold and brash who wasn't overdone, thankfully, and the grief-stricken Haruka, who might turn out to be my favorite.

It looks like there's going to be some wrenching romance in here, while the backdrop will be the 80's music scene (although it might as well have taken place today), unless this part is a flashback. In terms of the music, well, I can't say I'm crazy about it, but Rina's VA is pretty talented, and considering the recent popularity of shows involving music (Nana, Beck,, and Macross Frontier to name a few), that element should give the show an extra edge. The music industry is always a good background for the drama that comes with "fame and glamour" as well as the self-identity issues major superstars face, and their desire to be loved by everyone.

I thought the dream sequence at the beginning was especially well-executed and well-animated, and harked the message loud and clear: Yuki and Touya are facing rough waters ahead, and they may not come out of them together. The ending was a good cliff-hanger as well.

Anyway, if this turns out to be anything like True Tears, I'm thrilled.
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting how series I don't expect to be anything special turn out to be great. For the last season, that has been Casshern: Sins, now it's White Album.
Storywise, this reminds me a little of Skip Beat, but only on a very basic level - obviously, execution and goal of both series differ enormously.
The male lead is very likable so far, he seems less over-the-top than it is usually the case (this goes for all the other characters as well). Yuki seems rather generic, yet likable. I, too, liked the shot with her twisting the telephone cable. Rina and Haruka are both not very fleshed out yet - it's funny how everyone seems to be afraid of Rina, though. Aren't idols supposed to be cute and harmless? Smile
There are some scenes that were really impressive, like the dream sequence. Also, when Yuki and Fuji are talking to each other on the phone, there was this feeling of something ending... maybe the music added to that. It just made me rather sad, the distance is probably too big for them to overcome.

Now I'm waiting for this to continue Smile
Raida|23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Mmh...I'm kinda curious about this -especially for that "True Tears" thing rainbowcourage said^__^

Problem now is to find some extra time, who knows when I'll have some to watch it...damn, I need to stop workin and start watchin anime/movies/TV shows 24/7Smile
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I feel from the first episode alone I can tell where this is going to go. I would like it to be unpredictable, but none of the characters really seem original enough to allow for it to happen.
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
Funny, I thought of I''s Pure before Skip Beat, because it's specifically about a normal guy being left behind by an idol. But I haven't been keeping up with SB, and now that it's legitimate I'll have to find a way to watch all of it. I"S Pure got unexpectedly dramatic but wasn't over the top, and I loved the character designs based on Masakazu Katsura's manga. White Album reminds of them somewhat. Hiroaki Sato, the writer, did Key the Metal Idol, which is a classic for me. I'm still learning to appreciate anime art, or judge it, and I did think the quality was pretty average--or maybe inconsistent--but it could have been a stylistic decision.

So at first, I thought, been there seen that. But then it did suck me into it. The behind the scenes was done well--maybe the hazing was too extreme, but it made the point efficiently and effectively. Rina is already my favorite character. I think/hope she has some depth to her, and the strong personality combined with character design really appeals to me.

I could skip the OP, unfortunately, both for music and art, but liked the ED. I'm not an music aficionado, so can't comment beyond that. Will definitely watch some more of this one.
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
so i just watched the first episode, it is like a mix of True Tears and Skip Beat (someone going after an idol, just alot more serious than Skip Beat is).

what i found unsual is that it takes place in 1986. it's like a random year, i know most anime will take place during a war, or in the future, or the present, or in the history, but not a random year like this one.

i will definitly be keeping up with this show to see how it goes.

pparker i'm going to agree with you, there is abit too much hazy filter going and it makes the anime to dream like. Also is it just me or did they use (so far) alot of dark and pastal colors?
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
HMMcKamikaze wrote:
I feel from the first episode alone I can tell where this is going to go. I would like it to be unpredictable, but none of the characters really seem original enough to allow for it to happen.

Mmm...and where exactly is that? So far I don't think it's headed for clichesville, at least not judging by the first episode. Sure, Touya might break up with Yuki, but there's a couple other love interests there. Just like the ending of Rumbling Hearts is unpredictable (at least, I think it is without having it spoiled first), I can't see where this is going at the moment.

...which is why I'm excited.
motaku96

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
It's been awhile since I've seen a serious romance/drama. I'm liking it so far. I like the art and animation style. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this show turns out.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
More mature, serious romances are few and far between in anime, but this one was worth watching even without considering that. The whole episode almost felt like it was flirting with potential heartbreak, and I have often found stories about circumstances that can gradually pull two people apart, and their struggle to stay together in the midst of those forces, to be especially interesting. I also very much like the style of putting Touya's thoughts in print on the screen; I thought that was an elegant touch. The way Yuki compensated for the dress disaster also amused me.

Somewhat to my surprise, I am actually looking forward to finding out whether or not Touya's dream proves prophetic. This is a very promising start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I also very much like the style of putting Touya's thoughts in print on the screen; I thought that was an elegant touch.

I too very much liked the idea of his thoughts being displayed as text on screen. Given the tone that this series has taken thus far, the usage of textual rather than audible thoughts feels just right.

OT:

Labbes wrote:
It's interesting how series I don't expect to be anything special turn out to be great. For the last season, that has been Casshern: Sins, now it's White Album.

More power to ya for thinking Casshern Sins is great. I agree with you wholeheartedly. In fact, Casshern Sins is currently one of my favorite series of 2008. It's got just about everything I like in an anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting episode. Very interesting.

First, before I forget, I loved the ending. The intersection of the three girls--Rina on the phone, Haruka pulling up to the house on her bike, and Yuki's felt presence--was excellent.

spoiler[Touya's devotion to Yuki is beginning to waver, though not seriously. I'm pretty sure that whatever Rina is doing, it's a favor for Yuki considering the hand-on-the-sleeve thing coupled with whatever "permission" Rina got from Yuki. And it's natural for Touya to be starstruck. It wasn't as if he was grossly flirting with Rina.

I really like the unrequited love thing that Akira has going for Misaki; I think on a subconscious level Touya knows he can keep Misaki in his power, though, which worries me. Also, who else found the "shutup" interesting during the Akira/Touya conversation? Was that Akira saying it, or Touya? I thought it was Akira, but I couldn't decide if it was about the cheesecake or about Yuki. Is it possible he had a thing for Yuki, and Touya took her away...and the same thing is happening again? They appear to be so close, and Touya cheers on the Akira/Misaki relationship, yet he has Misakii under his thumb the whole time.

The ease with which Haruka and Touya interact is another thing to take into consideration...to deal with her weirdness, they have to be childhood friends.]

good, good stuff this week.
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
so after watching ep.2 i'm trying to figure out why spoiler[Touya and Rina were so secrative in the trading of the phone number?]

the way ep.2 ended was very good, cant wait for ep. 3 to come out now.

also i really hope this comes out to DVD, im still waiting for True Tears to come out on DVD too.
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:45 am Reply with quote
OT: Yay for Casshern Sins fans. Definitely one of the best of the year, and I think may end up a classic.

For ep 2, this is definitely getting more interesting... spoiler[So many "dynamics" in play, and Touya seems to have his pick. But Rina's involvement is unclear. She's rooting for Yuki, so I don't think it's a play for Touya, unless she's a seasoned femme fatale. More likely trying to keep him in the game with Yuki to provide footing for her. Yuki has proven her mettle in dealing with the sharks, but other forces are likely to work against her relationship with Touya. And if he is flakey, like they seem to imply, then Rina could be wearing her big sister hat to keep him in line. She may be testing him, as well. Or... who knows... excellent cliff hanger in any case. ]

Haruka is spoiler[worth watching, though a bit more of a stock character than the others. I like her, though in literary terms she's a "girl with a past". She obviously has a thing for Touya but keeps the childhood friend distance. Misaki sounds smart enough to not get tangled with Touya, but may not be able to resist. Akira... hope he gets something out of it... Rina is by far my favorite, but then she has to have personality since she's the bonafide idol. ]

spoiler[Nice reversal of the cliche sexual harassment of Yuki when Rina arrives and finds her crying, but happily. ]

In any case, I'm liking this when I shouldn't be Smile Not my normal fare, though Nodame Cantabile is one of my top favorites. There, the music and comedy are the attractions, though. Less comedy here so far, and I expect it to be darker, but a welcome light touch nonetheless. Hopefully a balance keeps it more entertaining than the usual romance melodrama. I have to keep in mind that it's a visual novel adaptation, so it might not live up to expectations. But then ef ~A Tale of Memories~ proved those could be done right, and since the characters are in university, the depth can be greater.
Sidhardha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:12 am Reply with quote
Somehow i think this series will end with School Days ending...
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
What I've never understood is why people want to be idols in the first place.

The job is often short (too old and you're out) and the stars are harried and often portrayed as deeply upset or unhappy with themselves, their working conditions seem to be of the variety that would have workers rights groups up in arms, their co-workers seem to be either fakely pleasant to outright nasty and money doesn't seem to be all that impressive either (unless they hit superstardom which brings its own issues).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6