• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Comitia Convention Plans Foreign Comic Festa

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if there'll be a lot of doujins of Western works.......... Laughing

Murder, She wrote:

The festival itself is a free event, but participants must pay the Comitia entrance fee

Dunno how that works............ I guess if you're not a "participant," whatever that means........... Laughing
superdry

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Murder, She wrote:

The festival itself is a free event, but participants must pay the Comitia entrance fee

Dunno how that works............ I guess if you're not a "participant," whatever that means........... Laughing

Sounds like one of those "free concert only if you buy a drink ticket that costs $15" type thing.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:25 am Reply with quote
I can't remember the source, but I remember reading about Comitia being different from Comiket. It's likely to be more centered on original stuffs than fan derivative works.

I don't think that western works are likely to get Dojinshi's because they lack serious fanbase to create deviant works and Japanese licensee are bound by contract to allow such thing.

Anyway, I think Comitia is very similar to creator-centered comic book conventions here. I want to see works of talented western artists to get notice in Japan for their narratives, not just their art.
AFatHouseCat

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
I can't remember the source, but I remember reading about Comitia being different from Comiket. It's likely to be more centered on original stuffs than fan derivative works.

I don't think that western works are likely to get Dojinshi's because they lack serious fanbase to create deviant works and Japanese licensee are bound by contract to allow such thing.

Anyway, I think Comitia is very similar to creator-centered comic book conventions here. I want to see works of talented western artists to get notice in Japan for their narratives, not just their art.

Comitia is just for creator owned works so you wont see any fanworks there, unless the creator of a manga draws his/her own series, which a lot do.
Comiket, and other large doujin shows like it, usually have a large section for fandoms based on overseas works. Mainly American tv shows and movies but a lot of BBC shows get doujin too. The last doujin festa I went to here had a huge XMen:FC and Sherlock tv/Sherlock Holmes movies section. Supernatural and Boondocks Saints aren't new but they both have a pretty good fanbase and doujin showing as well.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
AFatHouseCat wrote:
reanimator wrote:

Comitia is just for creator owned works so you wont see any fanworks there, unless the creator of a manga draws his/her own series, which a lot do.
Comiket, and other large doujin shows like it, usually have a large section for fandoms based on overseas works. Mainly American tv shows and movies but a lot of BBC shows get doujin too. The last doujin festa I went to here had a huge XMen:FC and Sherlock tv/Sherlock Holmes movies section. Supernatural and Boondocks Saints aren't new but they both have a pretty good fanbase and doujin showing as well.

Oh okay. Thanks for the correction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1