• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A bootlegger website (moderators please) that is not blackli

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:49 pm Reply with quote
There is a wesbite, [This URL is a known Bootlegging website] www.[This URL is a known Bootlegging website] , that sells primarily bootlegs (probably 90% of his business), and I want to make sure that this website is added to the [This website is a known bootlegger] list. I wound up buying his Fushigi Yuugi boxset from his ebay sale early this year.

The other thing is that he is selling "rare" metal box boxsets that have some have no DVD's and others do but are made to fit the normal official DVD set would normally have for quite a high price, however, I know that most companies like Bandai, ADV, and Geneon don't ever sell metal boxsets.

A good example is Full Metal Panic, that he says has all 7 DVD's from ADV in a metal box, and its cost is $154.99!!

Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, ADV did commission Paul Champagne to do their BGC 2040, EVA, and Gasaraki
http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/anime.html

That box looks like one of his designs as well... Given the cost of the FMP DVD's, that actually could be a legit deal, especially since it's fairly easy to get the FMP DVD's for about $18 each, if you know where to look. I'm just not sure how much the metal boxes go for.

This really should be moved to the retail forum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh, ok, thats the only legit anime he sells, however, this guy does primarily sell bootlegs, in fact, thats about all he sells, besides those tins.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Okay, taken care of. Links to that site have been banned (someone beat actually beat me to the ban by a few seconds while I was checking the site out).
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Thank you very much. I just wish there was some way to report him to the authorities.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, the authorities rarely act on this kind of issue. The best thing to do is to send URLs to the licensors.

As we've seen recently, they do sometimes act.

What you can do is write up a nice little letter stating, "I am confident the store is selling a number of items (bootlegs) that infringe on your company's copyrights. Here is a small sample of the products they offer that may be of interest to you:

[insert numerous URLs linking to bootlegs associated to specified company]"

Send one such e-mail to a couple companies (I'd suggest Bandai and ADV first, they appear to be the most aggressive in protecting their copyrights of late).

If you can't find a proper e-mail addy to send this item to, just send it to that company's generic e-mail addy.... it might make its way to legal (You should probably state, please forward to legal/copyright department).

Also, start by linking to premium titles, for example Evangelion in ADV's case, and Gundam in Bandai's case.

Have fun.

And remember, even if they don't respond, it doesn't mean that your efforts were ignored. They're just dumb that way sometimes.

-t
Allen
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:40 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
And remember, even if they don't respond, it doesn't mean that your efforts were ignored. They're just dumb that way sometimes.

Any time we see anything like this, we do take the time to look into the matter. You probably won't see a direct response from us, but yes, we are aware of things like this. But for those rare instances where we miss something, we have a special email set up to handle reporting issues like this.

[email protected].

If you run across anything like this in the future, please feel free to email us.

thanks,

allen
online marketing manager
www.advfilms.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking about doing that. Maybe this weekend.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1