• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Illinois Library Rejects Request to Stop Carrying M-Rated Games

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Whew, nice to see the library is being defiant, yeah fight the power. Very Happy Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
partially

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I love these community groups. They don't want to remove all M rated games, just remove the ones they don't want. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
but asking the library to create "selection criteria and procedures" for which titles to carry.

Who on earth will create these "selection criteria" and who judges them?
GiriOni

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Libraries carry video games? God... news to me. Maybe it's a big city thing. Cause my library certainly doesn't. It only carries a shelf of manga and a shelf of anime. Which, sadly, Evengelion manga is positioned on top of the shelf, which is located in the kids section... *sigh*
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:
Libraries carry video games? God... news to me.

Same here bro,

though as for this in of itself it made my day, my faith in humanity has risen a little...

Quote:
It only carries a shelf of manga and a shelf of anime. Which, sadly, Evengelion manga is positioned on top of the shelf, which is located in the kids section... *sigh*

and it went back down again, but in a different manner also made my day. Laughing
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
Ridiculous. It's like parents these days are so lazy they can't supervise what their children watch and play. I just don't get it. You might as well tell the video game stores to stop carrying M rated games too. It's the same damn thing. Don't let your children play if you feel so strongly about this. It's not like the cover will cause them to go violent. Rolling Eyes

Also, yeah, it's weird for me to discover that games are in libraries now... not surprised though, but wow. Well it hasn't happened at the libraries here in Colorado yet lol.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:59 am Reply with quote
It's good to see academic stubbornness extending beyond the books on shelves to everything in the library.

There is no way the library is going to remove the one thing that might still be bringing people to borrow stuff.

I know my university library had a media floor where gaming consoles among other things were set up to help students unwind, but I've never heard of of one renting out games.
miyako60

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:34 am Reply with quote
It's like Toshokan Sensou in action. Good for the Library!
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:50 am Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:
Libraries carry video games? God... news to me. Maybe it's a big city thing. Cause my library certainly doesn't

Speaking as a librarian, libraries have been carrying games for a while now. It's not really a "big city" thing, I work at a small -- but rather wealthy -- community in northern New Jersey, and a lot of it is based on what patrons want to see the library offer. Ours wanted video games, so that's what we offer, and we've been doing it since 2005.

With regards to M-rated games, this does not surprise me. We carry M-rated games too (the Call of Duty games from Black Ops on, Skyrim, Gears of War 3 and Judgment, Halo Reach and 4, and recently Bioshock Infinite, among others), and we put them on their own designated shelf with the Adult DVDS, while the rest of the games we keep near the Juvenile DVDs.

We do stress the M-rating though, and make it so that patrons cannot check those games out unless if they're adults. The kids don't like it, but the parents do, and it has not hurt our circ.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:
Libraries carry video games? God... news to me. Maybe it's a big city thing. Cause my library certainly doesn't. It only carries a shelf of manga and a shelf of anime. Which, sadly, Evengelion manga is positioned on top of the shelf, which is located in the kids section... *sigh*

move to better city.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
This story restores my faith in humanity a bit.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
This was the first I'd heard of a library carrying games too. Then again, my local library is so pathetically small that I'm amazed they finally moved up to DVDs...

I have to give a lot of respect to this library for not caving in. It is not their responsibility to make sure kids don't check out something they shouldn't get. Or rather...okay, getting ahead of myself here. Yes, the library should only check out materials that are appropriate to the age of the person checking it out. But that's the end of their responsibility. If the parents don't want their kids checking out those materials, then...don't let them, don't check it out for them, and it's done. No library or store or anything else should have to cater to the easily offended and miss out on more rental possibilities because of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
albanian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Let's begin:

"Jim Schuetz, a speaker for the citizen group, asserted that they were not looking to ban Mature-rated games, but asking the library to create "selection criteria and procedures" for which titles to carry."

OK. And the librarian says:

"Mature titles are only checked out to individuals who provide proof of age (17 or older) and cannot be rented via self checkout... ...The library currently chooses titles based on popularity and community requests."

Can someone tell me exactly which definition of 'selection criteria and procedures' some block-headed, eye-blinkered, bowdlerising puritans can't (or won't) grasp?
Conorvansmack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
JohnathanEnder wrote:
Adult DVDS

Huh? Adult DVDs at a library? I guess it's up to the constituents to determine.
streexanime

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
"'selection criteria and procedures'" ?!
Really? You need a clearer definition of "We pick out best selling and popular titles?"

Go to a Wal-Mart, Game Stop or any other store in America. See what they're advertising in games to sell this week, there is your process on selection!
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Sounds to me like these people wanted to pick the games, and not let the community and such decide. Not a fan of that in the slightest, especially for libraries.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2