• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragon Ball Z Kai (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
If you don't at least know what Dragonball Z is you'd have to have literally just seen your first anime, googled the word, and come to this site to ask if there's anything else out there like Naruto.

Dragon Ball Z Kai

I was passively interested in this since I grew up with the show and kinda wanted to revisit those days with this. Then I heard the OP, a huge grin swept across my face, and I realised I was in for a huge treat.

This really is a show for anyone who liked DBZ as a kid and doesn't want to slog through 300+ episodes (with a hefty chunk being garbage). It's DBZ with every bit of charm you remember and no fillers to spoil it.

The OP and ED are both also really great. Particularly the OP. As much as I fondly remember that trash-rock North America OP it can't compare to the insane charm of 80's J-Pop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAYAMmvCQuQ
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
I wonder who this "Raditz" is and why does he refer to Son Goku as "Kakarotto"? Wow, he seems even stronger than Piccolo! And we all know how full out Goku had to go to beat him!

What's this about Goku having a son? I hope he's not a big part of this series. He seems sort of annoying.

That Goku-looking guy from the beginning, is he Goku's father?

I really like this series. It's simplistic, but so was the original Dragon Ball, and that was really enjoyable. Man, I wish that a company in America could license this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Man, I wish that a company in America could license this!

The only thing that could possibly enhance my enjoyment of this is a dub. Absurd dialogue aside, I thought the Funimation dub was good (although the season or so of Ocean Group was better IMO) and I'd like to hear those voices again. I'm also just not a fan of the Japanese voices for DBZ. They're either really deep or really high and even factoring in the disconnect from my childhood I just don't like them.
abynormal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:

The only thing that could possibly enhance my enjoyment of this is a dub. Absurd dialogue aside, I thought the Funimation dub was good (although the season or so of Ocean Group was better IMO) and I'd like to hear those voices again. I'm also just not a fan of the Japanese voices for DBZ. They're either really deep or really high and even factoring in the disconnect from my childhood I just don't like them.

That is the one thing I don't like about the Japanese version, specifically Kuruillin's voice. I know he's small, but for crying out loud, he's the same age as Goku! He even gets married and has a kid later on! There's no need to make him sound like a little kid.*

*this is from what I saw in one of the movies, which I can only assume had pretty much the same voice cast.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
Does Goku still sound like a 3 year old girl in this series as well? Either way, I don't think I'm even going to bother with this.
Kenki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
The main problem I have with this is the animation. Are they seriously planning to actually just cut and paste from the previous show and the movies? I mean we're in 2009, how low budget do they want to go? I truly hope it's just for the introduction episode, but most likely not as I don't really see the point with that. They should have it animated with the same quality opening and ending themes provide.

Oh well, if they truly do plan on using the old episodes and just cutting out a couple, I don't see why I'd waste my time on nothing new. But for those of you that haven't seen Dragonball Z, I strongly suggest you watch it. It's the father of all the fighting animes today.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I thought everyone was already aware that this is just re-aired DBZ minus the filler? Apparently not.

I, for one, am incredibly excited. And I don't mean that in a cynical, eye-rolling way, either. I loved DBZ when I was a teenager and DBZ minus filler is pretty much the best action anime ever. I'm looking forward to watching this series with other nostalgic fans while we give each other long, knowing looks and say curmudgeonly things like "They just don't make 'em like this anymore."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Does Goku still sound like a 3 year old girl in this series as well?

That's how he always sounded, I don't think their main intention this time is to change the voices. If anything, to take out the junk and make everybody's watching experience the second time around, only a decade later.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it is a little bit disappointing that instead of upgraded animation we're getting cut and paste and remastered old scenes, but I don't care personally. I'm just excited to see what kind of experience this is going to be without all the stuff that made the old series dull and leaving only everything else that made it so great, cutting it down to 100 episodes and whatnot. The newly upgraded sound and music I find to be very appealing though, and even though it's the old animation, the remastered animation I must say really does make it look not half bad, even though it does still have some of the old issues it had before in that sense.

I must say I'm really excited about re-living this series from my childhood in this particular manner. I'm also happy it gives the chance to those who have decided not to get into it because of how badly it drags to finally have no reason not to finally experience it for themselves. I mean it's not the greatest thing in the world, yeah, but it is a classic nonetheless.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
http://ranobe.sakuratan.com/up/src/up353278.jpg

lol. Censorship and Goku dying from a bruise. Laughing

Yeah, seeing as how this show is airing in the morning, some censorship should be expected. And the violence might even be back on the DVD version, but this, along with the sloppy editing, is still disappointing. Toei should have just re-animated the whole series instead of doing this half-hearted job.

I'll probably drop this series after watching episode 3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:

Ah, they fixed that scene where Vegeta is coloured by random.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
If anything, to take out the junk and make everybody's watching experience the second time around, only a decade later.

And three years shorter. 191 episodes shorter, at one a week, makes 191 weeks saved.

What worries me is that if the episode count is going to be a "mere" 100, and they have used up three already just to dispose of Raditz, then how are they going to fit in everything else? I mean sure, there are virtually entire episodes that can be excised, and the Garlic Junior Saga is probably not going to make the cut. But are they going to go right the way to Kid Buu, including all of his previous forms?

I don't know, it just seems that at the rate they are going we'll finish halfway through the Cell Saga. Though I wouldn't mind if the Buu Saga was just dropped, given how silly it got after a while.

Edit: I obviously cannot count properly......

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dune

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
http://up2.viploader.net/pic/src/viploader985554.gif

^ It's too bad that parts of the fight are reanimated in order to be slower. Though maybe that's due to airing post-Polygon?
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
If anything, to take out the junk and make everybody's watching experience the second time around, only a decade later.

And three years shorter. 191 episodes shorter, at one a week, makes 197 weeks saved.

What worries me is that if the episode count is going to be a "mere" 100, and they have used up three already just to dispose of Raditz, then how are they going to fit in everything else? I mean sure, there are virtually entire episodes that can be excised, and the Garlic Junior Saga is probably not going to make the cut. But are they going to go right the way to Kid Buu, including all of his previous forms?

I don't know, it just seems that at the rate they are going we'll finish halfway through the Cell Saga. Though I wouldn't mind if the Buu Saga was just dropped, given how silly it got after a while.

I think it'll be fine. There was a lot of crap to cut out. The Raditz arc is pretty bare-bones and took 3 episodes in the original series too. I think the Vegeta fight will be much better measure since it took nine episodes originally and has plenty of fat to trim.

If they finish the Saiyan saga in about ten episodes then they'll be pretty on track. Getting through Snake Road and Hell can probably be done in one or two episodes. Fiddling around with Kai/fighting Nappa can probably be managed in three. Vegeta fight and wrap-up in two or three. I think the fact that they're making this series for people who already know the story pretty well means that they can get away with not explaining certain details and let the viewers fill in the blanks. I don't think they'll cut out any manga events but they might abbreviate them more than a show that has to explain itself might.

I would very much like to see the Buu saga cut out as well unless the fixed it so that Gohan kills Buu like was supposed to happen in the first place. Even though most of the arc was painfully inane up to that point it would be a worthwhile enough pay-off to see all the whiners that protracted the series so badly get schooled.

I was disappointed with the death-bruise though. It'll be back for a DVD release I'm sure but when I saw that I was like "Oh come on." It's like an even crappier version of the Toei Punch of Doom.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Raditz and Goku getting pierced by a huge ki beam and only having bruises that kill them quite frankly irritated the hell out of me. In the original version, there was blood everywhere. Why was it okay to show children in Japan this years ago with the blood but not okay now? I wonder if Nappa will be killing "cargo robots" and people will be spotting parachutes.

Other than that, though, the Vegeta recolor was amazing and I finally started to enjoy the new music, especially during Goku's death scene.

I wonder how fast Goku will reach King K--- er, Kaio-sama--- er, King Kai's little planet. Which, by the way, should have much lower gravity because it's smaller, not the opposite.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5