• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Launches Web Release of Rumiko Takahashi's Rin-ne

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Well, I'd love to read it there, but...

media.viz.com wrote:
We're sorry, but this content is not available in your region.

Once again, these media companies kind of miss the point when offering things online.

Does Viz even have a presence in Australia?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
Doesn't stop Funimation.

And at this point, you're ether Funimation or you're shit.

But chirst, all Viz need to do now is invent some sort of eye implant that puts a big "THIS BOOK IS NOT ALLOWED TO BE VIEWED IN YOUR REGON" in any and all imported GNs and it'll have cemented itself as the biggest bum ballon this side of Britannia High.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:36 am Reply with quote
First chapter definitely reminded me of Bleach (though I actually thought of Kekkaishi first for whatever reason). Still, the first chapter was good enough so I'll likely keep reading. I like the idea of having to pay a "toll" in order to send someone to the spirit world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:10 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Well, I'd love to read it there, but...

media.viz.com wrote:
We're sorry, but this content is not available in your region.

Once again, these media companies kind of miss the point when offering things online.

Yeah, I understand with anime that there'll often be legal issues (the company only has the license to sell/promote a series in a specific region), but don't they usually have worldwide English publishing rights for manga? At the least, the same VIZ manga volumes seem to be sold here as in the US. Regional restrictions on this seem unnecessary :/.

fighterholic wrote:
Does Viz even have a presence in Australia?

Don't know about a specific company presence, but VIZ manga is sold in Australian bookshops/comic shops along with Tokyopop, ADV manga, etc. Advertising to the world would seem to make sense when you're selling to the (English-speaking) world.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:22 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Doesn't stop Funimation.

But chirst, all Viz need to do now is invent some sort of eye implant that puts a big "THIS BOOK IS NOT ALLOWED TO BE VIEWED IN YOUR REGON" in any and all imported GNs and it'll have cemented itself as the biggest bum ballon this side of Britannia High.

I was able to read it just fine here in Germany, though.

It might just be English-speaking nations that have a region issue. They might not care about countries where most of the population wouldn't understand the translation anyway.
Seca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:50 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Doesn't stop Funimation.

It might just be English-speaking nations that have a region issue. They might not care about countries where most of the population wouldn't understand the translation anyway.

Nope, because I can't read it either. But there could be other possible legal reasons for it being blocked in Japan.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote
Well, one chapter certainly isn't going to say much about how good it is. Basically, thus far about all it looks like is Rumiko Takahashi's take on the whole "I can see ghosts" thing - the most prominent of that type of story being Bleach. The first chapter was interesting enough, but I think that it'll be a while before it's clear how good it's going to be. It's Rumiko Takahashi, so it'll at least be decent, but whether it'll be more than that has yet to be seen.

Still, it's cool that Viz is putting it up online for free. Hopefully that gets more people interested in it and increases sales rather than encouraging people to just read it there or find a way to grab the images and archive them without paying anything.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
It's idiotic things that Viz does that makes me wonder why they even bother having a so-called UK presence if they're not even planning on making the online version available to the rest of the world outside North America and Japan...
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
Not bad. Might read the first few chapters. I don't want to get sucked into anything that'll still be getting published 10 years form now though :/
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

If there is a company other than VIZ that releases Shogakukan manga in Germany then they might have had a deal with whomever that company might have been. If it's not readable in Japan that may be due to the fact that since the original manga is available in magazine form, they might not have seen the need to provide for it over there. Which stinks for the English speakers.
Starks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Rinne is available in ALL countries. No region lockout.

http://media.viz.com/images/onlinemanga/rin-hi/01/
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
Not bad. Might read the first few chapters. I don't want to get sucked into anything that'll still be getting published 10 years form now though :/

Always a risk with Takahashi, and this does seem to have her trademark open-ended quality about it. That said, it was kind of fun, and I'll give it a few chapters to see where she takes it. (Though if it turns into "I must save x number of souls before I can do y," I'm out of there.)
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Starks wrote:

Yeah~No. Still Region Locked.

Because the right message to send hundreds to thousands of non americans is "We don't care about you, eff off to fan transations".
Sheeta_Sumeragi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Starks wrote:

I'm afraid that's not the case.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/acfanti/notakahashiforyou.png
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Starks wrote:

Yeah~No. Still Region Locked.

Because the right message to send hundreds to thousands of non americans is "We don't care about you, eff off to fan transations".

The reality of the matter is that historically, rights to series - be it anime, manga, live action, or whatever - has been done by region. Even products which are only produced by a single company and not licensed out are frequently treated differently in each region (for instance, your typical Hollywood film is released in different countries at different times - sometimes months apart). That's why you have nonsense like regions on DVDs. The companies involved are trying to force sales to operate on a region by region basis rather than globally in spite of the increasingly global market. The very global nature of the internet is at odds with the region-specific nature of sales.

What a company like Viz is going to care about is sales where it sells their products. If they're posting Rin-ne online for free, it's because they think that it's going to boost sales (presumably by getting more people interested in it). Those sales are primarily going to happen in whatever areas they sell their books in (though some sales will likely occur internationally through online channels). If you don't live in the area that the books are going to be sold in, you're not in the target audience and you really don't matter to them. What matters is sales. So, if you're not buying, you don't matter. And since they're only selling books in specific regions, you don't matter if you're not in those regions (be it North America only, a wider area, or some other area entirely).

Things get even more complicated by the fact that a product can be licensed for multiple countries by multiple companies. A product may be licensed by Viz or some other company for North America but be licensed by an entirely different company in the UK or Australia. If Viz were to make it globally available, they would be stepping on the toes of whoever licensed it in those other regions and could very well be hurting those companies' sales (depending on whether posting the chapters online helps or hurts sales).

The result is that when something like this is posted online, it is frequently region locked. What the company selling the product cares about is customers in the region that they sell the product in, and they don't want problems with companies who sell that product in other regions. The result is a conflict between the global nature of the internet and the regional nature of sales. Perhaps that will change someday, but the conflict between global and regional is a definite problem for companies like Viz, and until the problem is solved, there are fans who are going to be bitten by it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3