• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation's K-ON Team Airs Tamako Market Anime's 3rd Ad

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
Awww KyoAni just makes everybody look so adorable, even crusty old dudes! This looks like it'll be really sweet and fun.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
Now that's an ensemble cast right there! Geez, it makes me want to get mochi once this series starts (hopefully with a free, legal simulcast).
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I plan to give this a try (if it is legally simulcasted). I am not a moe fan, but I trust the K-On team to make Tamako Market a good anime. I am also interested because it is an original anime story: we need more of those. And I agree, Kyoto Animation makes everybody look adorable.
kazziyan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Lol this is cute. Shall enjoy this.
Donpablo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Seems like every new KyoAni show I go through this phase of loathing when I look at their same-face character designs... I'll give it a shot but man, each show they seem to be trying less and less.
jasque

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
A Touka clone already?
Anime smile
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Donpablo wrote:
Seems like every new KyoAni show I go through this phase of loathing when I look at their same-face character designs... I'll give it a shot but man, each show they seem to be trying less and less.

And yet when they try to go away from it like with Nichijou, the show bombs. This is the character design people want from KyoAni, so they'd be foolish to do away with it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Donpablo wrote:

And yet when they try to go away from it like with Nichijou, the show bombs. This is the character design people want from KyoAni, so they'd be foolish to do away with it.
Nichijou bombed? Really? That show was great Anime cry. That's too bad . These same-face designs are getting pretty tiresome, as great as their shows are.
Donpablo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Donpablo wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as blaming the character design as the reason it bombed. The humor at least for me, was mostly miss. The characters and the story told weren't very interesting. The shows got to have something to grab onto. But anyway, this is off topic and hasn't anything to do with this current show.
TC-man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Donpablo wrote:

Nichijou bombed? Really? That show was great Anime cry. That's too bad . These same-face designs are getting pretty tiresome, as great as their shows are.

But the faces in Kyoani's anime shows (adaptations) do evolve. Look from Air, Kanon to Haruhi to Clannad, from Clannad to K-On! And from K-On! To Hyouka. The changes may be small and subtle, but there are changes. Though Munto, Lucky Star and Nichijou look quite differently.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I think some people are underestimating Japanese otaku tastes. They seem to want to buy the same formulaic show every season, as long as it panders to their tastes. And if Tamako Market is K-On 2.0, they will embrace and buy it.

I am assuming RyanSaotome is saying that Nichijou bombed because it did not sell many copies.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I think some people are underestimating Japanese otaku tastes. They seem to want to buy the same formulaic show every season, as long as it panders to their tastes. And if Tamako Market is K-On 2.0, they will embrace and buy it.

I am assuming RyanSaotome is saying that Nichijou bombed because it did not sell many copies.

Yep, thats what I was saying. Its main issues from what I remember on 2ch is that it had no "loveable characters" that people could emotionally attach themselves to like other KyoAni anime, and also the artstyle didn't lend itself well to cute girls. So basically, it was a KyoAni anime that had lost the support of the "Waifu" fanbase, who are the main people who buy their anime... it was a doomed anime from the start. They seem to have learned their lesson since then, and focus more on making female characters their audience wants in an artstyle that they like, as they did in Hyouka, Chuunibyou and now Tamako Market.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

[Post removed for insults and not contributing to the discussion.]

Yeah if it were true, that implies there's a magic formula everyone can use and there would be no losses. But the fact is that there are many shows that bomb and most do across the spectrum.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

[Post removed for insults and not contributing to the discussion.]

Yeah if it were true, that implies there's a magic formula everyone can use and there would be no losses. But the fact is that there are many shows that bomb and most do across the spectrum.

Just look at GirlPan this season for a good example of this. Upotte did the same kinda thing while trying to add military otaku appeal along with cute girls... yet it sold terribly since it was awful and is pretty much a forgotten series now. And then comes GirlPan, which also tries to appeal to military otaku with cute girls... yet it'll likely be the big seller of Fall 2012 since its a very good show that does everything it tries to do at a high level.

If otaku really didn't care and just bought up whatever, then there wouldn't be major differences in the reception and sales of two series that are similar like that.
yu3lora

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
GAH! I'm so excited!!! Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3