• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters' Fushigi Yugi OVA DVD Set Listed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
1) The article inaccurately links to the Fushigi Yugi TV series, instead of the Fushigi Yuugi OAV.

2) The Fushigi Yugi Season 2 should link to the aforementioned TV series page.

3) Do we know what the contents of the OAV set are? By both ANN and Wikipedia's information, the first OAV is 3 episodes of 25 minutes each (75 minutes total), the second OAV is 6 episodes of 25/26 minutes each (150/156 minutes total), and the third OAV (Eikoden) is 4 episodes of 30 minutes each (120 minutes total). The original US release was the first two in the "Oni" box, and Eikoden separately (as it was released later). However, the first two together only comes to 225/231 minutes, and all three together comes to 345/351 minutes total. Yet the DVD is listed at 295 minutes. I know that there are animated shorts that go with at least the first OAV, but I don't think they add up to 64/70 minutes of footage.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
I already own all the old FY sets (ah, the old days of spending $100 on anime... ugh). Do these new rescued sets have anything new? Remastered?

Ad Viz sucks for not releasing anymore Genbu Kaiden. Sad
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
Viz just released vol 10 of Genbu a month ago with 11 slated for March. That catches us up to the current volume released in Japan.

As for the releases, I will stick to both my old Geneon box sets and singles for my FY viewing pleasure. I also have the whole series on VHS so no need to quadruple dip on this.
RF_InSAnE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

3) Do we know what the contents of the OAV set are? By both ANN and Wikipedia's information, the first OAV is 3 episodes of 25 minutes each (75 minutes total), the second OAV is 6 episodes of 25/26 minutes each (150/156 minutes total), and the third OAV (Eikoden) is 4 episodes of 30 minutes each (120 minutes total). The original US release was the first two in the "Oni" box, and Eikoden separately (as it was released later). However, the first two together only comes to 225/231 minutes, and all three together comes to 345/351 minutes total. Yet the DVD is listed at 295 minutes. I know that there are animated shorts that go with at least the first OAV, but I don't think they add up to 64/70 minutes of footage.

It looks like the OVA set will be the first two series. So it will not include Eikoden.

OVA 1 was 3x30 minutes and OVA 2 was 3x30 + 2x35 + 1x50 minutes summing to 300 minutes, which seems close enough to the 295 listed. Also, the previous release of OVA 1 and 2 was listed as 295 minutes (see for example http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?item_id=26218). So my best guess at this moment would be: it will not include the Eikoden OVA.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
Now I can finally own this without paying another $100.

According to Right Sufthe DVD is the first two OVA series (295 Minutes) so I'll still pre-order it.

I guess Media Blasters are aware of Eikoden's "infamous" background and will release it later.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Excellent. Ima preorder Ai no Kusabi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1