• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: One Piece: Pirate Warriors DLC Costumes Arrive in N. America

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
DLC is the worst thing that has happened in gaming world in a while. At least how its handled: Unscrupulous ripoff schemes.

Guess nothing can be done as long as there are people willing to go with that and throw away their money (or parents money in good number of cases in the gaming world).

There are a handful of companies that have done the right thing with DLC, releasing it free as it should be for small things like THIS OP DLC content for example, or if you want to charge money only one that comes to mind for doing it right is Rockstar for GTAIV and the 2 expansions, all others scream ripoff scheme in a very insulting way, like those companies that hold hostage supposed DLC on disc later to charge you to "liberate" it!

Welcome to the era of incomplete games only to keep milking money out of customers if they want the "complete" experience! Has someone calculated how much games REALLY cost nowadays? in NA 60 + ?? +?? +?? +?? = ?? in the long run...
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
So they're releasing it all in one big bundle? That should make things easier, getting it all in one. Not to mention slightly cheaper than it may have cost to buy it all seperately.
Drac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
So that's how they're going to handle DLC for North America. For a second I thought they weren't even going to bother but now they expect people to plunk down $15 dollars to get maybe one or two costumes they might actually want.

Namco Bandai has to foot the bill to have any sort of digital content uploaded on to Sony's servers so this is the only economical way for them to handle it for the NA market. That doesn't make this decision a very good one anyway.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
What exactly are these Scenarios? Are they whole new levels, or just like a cutscene or something? I'm considering buying this if its actually substantial.
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
What exactly are these Scenarios? Are they whole new levels, or just like a cutscene or something? I'm considering buying this if its actually substantial.

Wishful thinking if you want something "substantial", guess it depends the perspective, some people consider 30 min/1 hour things substantial in DLC...

No, challenges it seems based videos and people who has played them, vs 1000 for example is a challenge to beat 1000, so NO its not a scenario: challenges and custumes seems more like it.

You can check youtube with videos of the DLC, the above "scenario" took a guy 13 min to get the challenge beaten.
Arisato-kun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
DLC is the worst thing that has happened in gaming world in a while. At least how its handled: Unscrupulous ripoff schemes.

Guess nothing can be done as long as there are people willing to go with that and throw away their money (or parents money in good number of cases in the gaming world).

There are a handful of companies that have done the right thing with DLC, releasing it free as it should be for small things like THIS OP DLC content for example, or if you want to charge money only one that comes to mind for doing it right is Rockstar for GTAIV and the 2 expansions, all others scream ripoff scheme in a very insulting way, like those companies that hold hostage supposed DLC on disc later to charge you to "liberate" it!

Welcome to the era of incomplete games only to keep milking money out of customers if they want the "complete" experience! Has someone calculated how much games REALLY cost nowadays? in NA 60 + ?? +?? +?? +?? = ?? in the long run...

Tell me more about how you need to buy this to play the game.

Seriously though, the "DLC is the company selling me parts of a game I should already have," is only an argument used by those that have no idea how the game development process works.

You do realize that most DLC pre-production is started when the game is close to being finished right?

And it's the consumer that decides what is substantial or not. You cite GTA4 as the only DLC worth paying money for but there's also substantial instances of DLC that is reasonable priced. Mass Effect 2's Lair of the Shadow Broker, several DLC cases for L.A. Noire and the upcoming Dark Souls: Artorias of the Abyss immediately come to mind for me. One can even argue that Dragon Age Origins: Awakening is DLC.

While on-disc DLC is inexcusable there is little difference between actual post-game DLC and an expansion pack. It's access to bonus content that the consumer chooses to pay money for and it clearly extends the lifetime of games by months or even years. If you don't want it then don't buy it but if there wasn't a market for it then it wouldn't be made nor would it be priced the way it is. The only question a consumer has to ask themselves is "Is this amount of content I'm being offered worth my money?"

If you don't like it then don't buy it . But don't complain that you have to pay for extra content. Programmers, animators, artists and writers have to be paid to work on what you're getting.
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
@Arisato-kun

So I am obliged to know how production is done so I can go along with a ripoff scheme?

Thats their work, not mine, I will jfge the final prodcut and how it is presented to me.

Quote:
You do realize that most DLC pre-production is started when the game is close to being finished right?

So speak as this is always 100% of the time which is not true, unless you were to work in all studios and all DLC then and only then you an pass this of as a fact.

Quote:
also substantial instances of DLC that is reasonable priced. Mass Effect 2's Lair of the Shadow Broker, several DLC cases for L.A. Noire

Ah, what excellent examples you point to.

And how is this exactly "EXTRA" or postgame DLC?

If its extra, no big issue, costumes, extra arms, if people want to buy this so be it I dont care.

I do care when said "extra" DLC is part of the main story and I am obliged to buy it to get the complete story.

I have an option to buy or not you said, partly true because again if I dont I dont get to see the whole picture so I have the option and at the same time I dont.

You apply the same screwed up logic SONY used for the removal of otheros: you can update or have the OPTION to dont and be unable to play games. While I still can play without DLC (for me story wise only) the experience is crippled at the least.

But you are very right that I have a option, so nowadays I dont buy anything from game studios that apply story-wise DLC ripoff schemes, forget DLC, I dont buy even the game. Its my loss mainly, totally true, many will still buy, you wont change anything, totally true as well, I am fine knowing I dont give away my money in that way, if you do fine, I like to be respected and not be seen as a mere milking cow.

Agree that if something is reasonable priced it can be ok and if its really EXTRA, which is not usually the case either thou, but if its story wise, parts of game totally cut off to charge later its totally a ripoff scheme no matter how you wish to justify it, this exactly applies to Mass Effect and LA Noir.

I specifically mentioned GTAIV, i never said it is the only way it can work but I said they did it right, because the experience with the main game was not crippled and was delivered complete. The two DLC were stand alone, never shared protagonists and deliver true 20+ hours of game-play for 20 bucks. The stories still connected in the background but it definitely was standalone and did not affect the main story.
Arisato-kun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
@Arisato-kun

So I am obliged to know how production is done so I can go along with a ripoff scheme?

Thats their work, not mine, I will jfge the final prodcut and how it is presented to me.

Quote:

So speak as this is always 100% of the time which is not true, unless you were to work in all studios and all DLC then and only then you an pass this of as a fact.

Quote:
also substantial instances of DLC that is reasonable priced. Mass Effect 2's Lair of the Shadow Broker, several DLC cases for L.A. Noire

Ah, what excellent examples you point to.

And how is this exactly "EXTRA" or postgame DLC?

If its extra, no big issue, costumes, extra arms, if people want to buy this so be it I don't care.

I do care when said "extra" DLC is part of the main story and I am obliged to buy it to get the complete story.

I have an option to buy or not you said, partly true because again if I don't I don't get to see the whole picture so I have the option and at the same time I don't.

You apply the same screwed up logic SONY used for the removal of otheros: you can update or have the OPTION to don't and be unable to play games. While I still can play without DLC (for me story wise only) the experience is crippled at the least.

But you are very right that I have a option, so nowadays I don't buy anything from game studios that apply story-wise DLC ripoff schemes, forget DLC, I don't buy even the game. Its my loss mainly, totally true, many will still buy, you wont change anything, totally true as well, I am fine knowing I don't give away my money in that way, if you do fine, I like to be respected and not be seen as a mere milking cow.

Agree that if something is reasonable priced it can be ok and if its really EXTRA, which is not usually the case either thou, but if its story wise, parts of game totally cut off to charge later its totally a ripoff scheme no matter how you wish to justify it, this exactly applies to Mass Effect and LA Noir.

I specifically mentioned GTAIV, i never said it is the only way it can work but I said they did it right, because the experience with the main game was not crippled and was delivered complete. The two DLC were stand alone, never shared protagonists and deliver true 20+ hours of game-play for 20 bucks. The stories still connected in the background but it definitely was standalone and did not affect the main story.

1. Yes you should know because arguments like this are generally spouted by the ignorant.

See, here's what you say happens: http://www.abload.de/img/gameindustry1qsb6x.jpg

And here's what actually happens, using ME3 as an example: http://i.imgur.com/m77S3.png

2. It's usually true yes. You really have no idea how a production schedule works do you? Sometimes things are cut from the final product and introduced later, yes but that's because developers have strict deadlines that they have to meet. So they can either deny you that content altogether or they could release it later. but in order to deliver that content they have to work on it. Which means they have to be paid.

Studios won't make anything at a loss because gaming is also an industry so of course you have to pay money for their services. That's how the world works.

3. Yes, it's something extra. It's an extra story added after production that fits into the overall established mythos. By your logic sequels shouldn't exist either because that's part of the overall main story. Why should you have to pay for another installment? They should've just written the entire story and sold it all to you as one complete package.

You got a full game when you bought it. But you feel entitled to more just because they release something after the fact. It's this sense of entitlement that has permeated the game industry since the dawn of expansion packs that is even more prevalent nowadays.

4. I'd equate those GTA installments as stand-alone games moreso than DLC. You could buy them separately and never needed the main game to play them. Same goes for RDR: Undead Nightmare.
alamarco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Really happy these finally made it over to North America. Will be downloading these tomorrow after work. I thought for a while we wouldn't get these at all.

@Arisato-kun, good points. You really explained your thoughts well. I completely agree with your points.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I'll buy this yet, simply because I haven't had a lot of time to even play through the main game yet. So many other games to play, so little time.
But if when I get back around to it, I really enjoy it, then I can see myself dropping $15 for all this. It's a lot better than the comparative amount of extra content Koei is selling for WO3.

@ Arisato-kun: Thank you for using facts and logic, instead of blind entitlement rage. Calling this a ripoff scheme would imply that Bamco is somehow being less than forthcoming with information about their game release. $50 gets you a very, very complete package, with a ton of content. The DLC is exactly that... downloadable content. Ten extra costumes and ten extra missions. That's a lot more value, imo, than what some other companies give you for $15.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
Another factor is the $60 price ceiling. For various reasons, from consumers putting $60 as their limit to stores becoming nervous stocking enough games priced over $60, $60 became the de facto price ceiling. But many new games nowadays actually cost to develop more than the $60 price point. Game developers would regularly give consumers as much of the games and DLCs if they could regularly charge beyond the $60 price point, like Japan already does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1