• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Dragon Ball Evolution: Most Popular Movie Download on PlayStation Network

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Roflmao. What the hell. Intriguing...

Also...I better, BETTER not see shit like "this is why 360 is better." >:<
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Its on 360 too... just via netflix. Also it makes me now if DB:E had gotten more commericals and better marketing; that it would have done better. Don't get wrong its horrible, but if more casual fans knew if it when it came out, it would have at least gotten a decent showing before word of mouth did its damage.

At least I hope they recoop their loses with DVDs and Download sales. All Hollywood cares for is sales figures so decent figures will help future anime projects.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I will only seen this abomination of a movie because I like DBZ but mainly to see how horrible the movie is.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Its on 360 too... just via netflix. Also it makes me now if DB:E had gotten more commericals and better marketing; that it would have done better. Don't get wrong its horrible, but if more casual fans knew if it when it came out, it would have at least gotten a decent showing before word of mouth did its damage.

Eh? Where on Netflix? Because they only have movies that are at least a year old for instant viewing, or maybe I'm not using it properly. I wanna watch it so I can laugh. I never found the original series amusing in the least bit, but this looks like comedic gold to me.
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
John Casey wrote:

Actually, no damage was done unfortunately. :< The movie had an even smaller budget than it was actually reported...

They made money...enough for a sequel.
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:38 am Reply with quote
LOL. Not accounting for their gross lack of good taste, I really do feel sorry for those Playstation Network addicts......
Popular phrases like, "We could sell ice to an Eskimo Twisted Evil", are always coined by people like Sony Entertainment when they speak about consumers like the Playstation Fandom. LOL.

Seriously, though, DB Evolution........??? Looks like it's the same situation with movies as it is with games on the PS Network.... the PS fanboys wouldn't know a horrible, AVOID AT ALL COST, movie if it bit them in the butt-cheek........ l.o.l.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:
LOL. Not accounting for their gross lack of good taste, I really do feel sorry for those Playstation Network addicts......
Popular phrases like, "We could sell ice to an Eskimo Twisted Evil", are always coined by people like Sony Entertainment when they speak about consumers like the Playstation Fandom. LOL.

Seriously, though, DB Evolution........??? Looks like it's the same situation with movies as it is with games on the PS Network.... the PS fanboys wouldn't know a horrible, AVOID AT ALL COST, movie if it bit them in the butt-cheek........ l.o.l.

Have you ever considered the fact that maybe, just maybe there a lot of curious people out there who want to see how bad Fox screwed up Dragonball: Evolution and see for themselves to have a good laugh at how horrible it is?
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:

At least I hope they recoop their loses with DVDs and Download sales. All Hollywood cares for is sales figures so decent figures will help future anime projects.

There never were any real loses. The movie had a budget between $45-$50 million (contrary to the 2007 report that suggested a $100 million dollar budget), and grossed just under $58 million. It didn't exactly have a heavy marketing push either, so that couldn't have cost much. All the money they make off of DVD/Blu-Ray, PSN, and rentals are just gravy at this point.
R.G.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
TatsuGero23 wrote:

There never were any real loses. The movie had a budget between $45-$50 million (contrary to the 2007 report that suggested a $100 million dollar budget), and grossed just under $58 million. It didn't exactly have a heavy marketing push either, so that couldn't have cost much. All the money they make off of DVD/Blu-Ray, PSN, and rentals are just gravy at this point.

Making it a modest hit,I suppose.
bigheart711

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Do the people that are buying DB:E by download know that they gave 20th Century Fox enough money for a shittier sequel?
Sorce

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
Man, I saw that movie in the theatres and it was pretty good. You can't compare it to the source material, but on it's own, it was fun and enjoyable.

Heck, I'm also kind of happy that a sequel might be in the works. I'm interested to see where they'll go with it and how they get there.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
bigheart711 wrote:
John Casey wrote:

Do the people that are buying DB:E by download know that they gave 20th Century Fox enough money for a shittier sequel?

When I looked at the director's credits at IMDb & saw he directed 3 Final Destinations, I couldn't believe they not only made it to 3, but we have another coming around I'm seeing commercials for now.
Not to mention all those straight to dvd titles one sees.
DB:E is actually pretty good if one steps totally away from the source material. Yeah, I can't see why they couldn't have filmed Dragonball as it appears in Toriyama's version, although even the anime saw fit to change stuff & we all saw what Toei did left to their own devices on the movies & DB:GT.
Actually it's interesting how much they took from the manga for DB:E yet managed to be so very different

I was totally blown away at Comic-con to see all the movies Hollywood is re-making. They have no ideas left?
Mr. Anobe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:
The_X_box_360 wrote:

Have you ever considered the fact that maybe, just maybe there a lot of curious people out there who want to see how bad Fox screwed up Dragonball: Evolution and see for themselves to have a good laugh at how horrible it is?

Yeah, it just like people wanted to see The Room, even though it claimed to be one of the worst movies of all time. I guess that people needed to see how a POS movie can be if it's claim to be...sort of like a "guilty pleasure" to watch it. Hell, I would too if it was claimed to be one of the worse, I'll make a good chuckle or two.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

There never were any real loses. The movie had a budget between $45-$50 million (contrary to the 2007 report that suggested a $100 million dollar budget), and grossed just under $58 million.

Actually, DB:E is a box-office bomb domestically.

Quote:
Domestic: $9,362,785 16.3%
+ Foreign: $48,134,914 83.7%
= Worldwide: $57,497,699

So even thought the foreign markets helped DB:E in the long run, the pitiful domestic take actually makes it officially a Box-Office Bomb.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:56 am Reply with quote
[quote="Hon'ya-chan"]
Primus wrote:

There never were any real loses. The movie had a budget between $45-$50 million (contrary to the 2007 report that suggested a $100 million dollar budget), and grossed just under $58 million.

Actually, DB:E is a box-office bomb domestically.

Quote:
Domestic: $9,362,785 16.3%
+ Foreign: $48,134,914 83.7%
= Worldwide: $57,497,699

So even thought the foreign markets helped DB:E in the long run, the pitiful domestic take actually makes it officially a Box-Office Bomb.[/quote

Well people outside of America actually enjoyed it. It's just with Americans when we see a live action movie of an anime it's almost like just watching it to just giggle on how lame it is and then there is all of those other kinds of people in America who just don't have any hopes for the movie being good so not even going to bother with it. But honestly I never even seen a advertisement for DB: E even once.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2