• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sex Pistols Boys-Love OVA's Promo Video Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geishageek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
i am very impressed with this quality. The original manga artwork is very awkward and so i wasnt sure how it would translate into motion but the animation looks crisp and clean, while still keeping to the original designs. i cannot wait for this to ship. and hopefully maybe someday Kitty might pick it up for release here in the states, as they have with most other BL OVA's
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm impressed with the trailer and I am looking forward to the OVA.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Not bothering to look at the trailer of something BL. However, that very name would suggest hentai and a certain music band.
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Not bothering to look at the trailer of something BL

Was that necessary to say?

Why oh why is there always one person who starts something in any BL topic about how they dislike BL? If you don't like it, then don't post about it. Simple as that.

Anyway, Tsukasa, do you feel the character designs work? Or were you expecting something different? Have you read the manga?
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
Because I just want to state my opinion about it and this is the type of place it would be put.
manafairy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
Wow, the character designs look great. Much, much better than their manga counterparts, I'd say. I mean, Norio is actually decently masculine O_O

I wasn't really interested in this as I really didn't like what I read of the manga, but after seeing this trailer I think I'll actually give this story a second chance. I mean, my expectations are still pretty low, as mediocre source material very rarely actually produces superior adaptations, but at least if the characters and story still aren't to my liking, it'll still have been nice to look at.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
With there being a band of the same name, I wonder how they avoid infringement.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind the boys love or the horrible molestation of evolution.. but.. really, calling your book the Sex Pistols? What kinda manga bases its name off a rock band or song. You know, besides Beck, Detroit Metal City, and.. um.. is there a manga based on Pink Floyd? If not.. there should be.
geishageek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote
The series is called "Love Pistols" here in the US, due to the same name as the punk band. I don't know how popular the Sex Pistols (the band) were in Japan for their name to really matter. Japan was pretty closed off back in the late 70's when the Sex Pistols were popular. I'm sure the manga-ka never thought about the band when naming her series.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:36 am Reply with quote
geishageek:
Quote:
The series is called "Love Pistols" here in the US, due to the same name as the punk band. I don't know how popular the Sex Pistols (the band) were in Japan for their name to really matter. Japan was pretty closed off back in the late 70's when the Sex Pistols were popular. I'm sure the manga-ka never thought about the band when naming her series.

You have a point there. One of the reasons anime/manga/live action can get name changes is to avoid copyright infringement.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
... I don't know how popular the Sex Pistols (the band) were in Japan for their name to really matter. Japan was pretty closed off back in the late 70's when the Sex Pistols were popular. I'm sure the manga-ka never thought about the band when naming her series.

Well, the (reunited) Sex Pistols did tour Japan in the mid '90s, and I saw a character in the untranslated Negima manga wearing a hat reading "Sax Pascals / Anarchy", so there was some visibility. It's probably as if I put out a comic strip and called it "Shonen Knife".
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote
Sex Pistols is a creepy name even for an adult title. A creepy title I will avoid.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Sex Pistols is a creepy name even for an adult title. A creepy title I will avoid.
Yes, we all get it at this point. You don't like BL. Duly noted, thanks for reminding us. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I'm quite looking forward to this one, as one of the apparently few readers (here, at least) who actually enjoyed the manga-- art, story and all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
geishageek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the manga too. I wish she would finish it. Or least least continue writing, even at a slow pace. But have you looked at some of her other stuff? I was blindsides by the content but after i really thought about it, it really didn't see too far off from Love Pistols.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
The characters in Nana name the Sex Pistols as the inspiration for their bands music (particularly Nobu).

The manga sounds really funny. Do any men actually get pregnant?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2