• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Misfit of Demon King Academy (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:18 am Reply with quote

Season 01: (The) Misfit of Demon King Academy (TV)
Season 02 (1st half): (The) Misfit of Demon King Academy II (TV 2)
Season 02 (2nd half): (The) Misfit of Demon King Academy II (TV 3)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 14 volumes, written by Shu, illustrated by Yoshinori Shizuma)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Silver Link

Genres: adventure, fantasy, magic, romance

Themes: isekai, school

Plot Summary: Despite their appetite for destruction, even demon kings tire of all the blood and chaos sometimes. When Anoth reincarnates in the hopes of a more peaceful life, he ends up going to school with his descendants in his old castle 2,000 years later. But with magic on its last legs in this era, no one is able to assess Anoth's true power.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: July 4, 2020 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 02 (1st half): January 7, 2023 (Saturday)

Season 02 (2nd half): April 7, 2024 (Saturday)

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 1: 13 episodes
Season 2: Pending

Total: 13 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

So we got some cocky douchebag being a douche towards some other cocky douchebags. It's like some kind of power fantasy an edgy bullied teenager would think of. Kinda lame, but I'll continue watching.

P.S. Is this a magic highschool battle thingy? I feel like we haven't seen these for a while.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Meh. Anime loves its OP protagonists, doesn't it? At least these days. I don't think it was always like this. But somebody has decided that what otaku really want to see is somebody simply winning without effort every single time. Humour is pretty weak too. We'll see how it goes. But this already has the whiff of "drop" for me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I thought that the guy was so ridiculous in pretty much being a god in nothing affecting him, to the point he can win by his heart alone, and both turn someone into mush and resurrect back again, that I thought maybe there could be some enjoyment out of it. I don't know if it is a guilty pleasure sort of way or not, but I kind of like how sure he is as this dark messiah, without it coming across as chuuni. Also ridiculous situation that he is only a month old and clearly has some level of knowledge of the ancient past that it is kind of silly that no one is quite questioning his existence enough that how could he not be anything other than their dark lord returned.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

So, it got a little crazy at the end, I would even say a bit hard to follow, although the broad strokes were easy enough. Not really sure what I might want to say about this series. It is pretty much a lot of that idea of super overpowered protagonist, that sucks out any real tension via them just seeming perfect. But also kind of really well leans into it by making him ridiculously strong, and at least to me it doesn't feel like the same kind of juvenile that these sorts of show can be, and I think did the whole heroes as the dark side pretty well. But I also think that it kind of drags on that point that it might have started to wear out its welcome.

My rating I would Decent, I would even say that I reasonably enjoyed it over a number of other shows, I think it would come to me saying that I mostly did not lose my time with it, rather than saying that it was not largely worth watching. Although, I want to give points for at least feeling like it had a conclusion, and at least for certain parts it felt worth watching, I just started to tire of it towards the end. So Good (7/10), but I probably would put it at a just above 6.5.
leconv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:46 pm Reply with quote
This show started strong...and then screwed it up along the way. the final battle was as mmmhhee as it can get. too bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1