• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yona Yona Penguin, Live-Action TokiKake Trailers Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ichigoismylover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting to hear what the characters voices would sound like in the dub of Soul Eater, but I have to say...I don't HATE it, but I think the Japanese is soooo much better. I thought that the Japanese version matched the characters appearances and personalities so well to their voice and I don't think the English dub matches quite as well.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
As ALWAYS, Funi, knows how to dub!

I'll buy them for the sake it of it being a BONES production.

I'm not a huge fan of the series itself... Laura Bailey, Brittany, and Monica are always fun to listen to!!!

Go Funi!!!
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Given Black Star is Brittney's first boy role, she is still working on improving it. The Japanese version is better, eh? I know I am not the only one who really didn't like Maka's Japanese voice.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
The new voices shown off in the new Soul Eater clips continue to show a lot of promise for the dub. Even Black Star sounded better, but it's not uncommon for actors take a couple episodes to get into their groove. I'm pretty happy.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
The Yona Yona thing reminds me of Little Nemo. Not sure how I feel about Tokikake, though.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Funi's motto is "loose but smooth" a.k.a. even though their methods are questionable at the start, we thank them all the same...

Sure they're capable of being tight to the original script as much as possible EX: Blue Gender and Mushi-Shi, but they're best known for rewording to make it easier (and cooler, at times), for VAs and the script writers. (Do you know how HARD it would've been to "perfectly" match English voices to the Japanese Kodocha script!? Quite difficult...)

My point is this: When it's all said and done. Funimation KNOWS what they're doing... They've made mistakes, and they've learned from them. They made the legendary dub of FMA, and it wasn't cake! Sure Soul Eater can't compare, since it's a "trend" series, like Naruto, but that doesn't mean that they'll half-@$$ the job either...

We should look foward to purchasing the next half-season box set wonder of Funimation's next project!
AnimeGuy1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
wow, that dubbing is shit IMO. WTH was with black stars voice? it wasn't masculine at all. I cant say that I like any of the voices they chose to use.
Zero Gravity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
They're doing it again, they're avoid Lord Death's voice! Anime hyper!!!!

Oh well Chuck Huber will do for now Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Though I have tried to be supportive of it in the past -primarily through my fondness of the director- I can't ignore the fact that Yona Yona Penguin seems to be targeted exclusively towards very young audiences. Considering also that this is a Christmas-themed fantasy film, I doubt I'd enjoy it. Children want stories laden with hope and magic at this time of year, so I'd expect this picture will focus mainly on delivering such elements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1