• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ninja Nonsense

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Consequently, I was completely fooled and thought I was watching the original legendary You're Under Arrest anime series. In fact, about 47 episodes and several OVAs precede this set, and I've never seen any of them.

For those interested, their partner company, Anime Network acquired the digital and broadcast rights to the first season and has been airing those for the last 2 months. Season 2 (the one in this Shelf Life) broadcast on VOD and Online will follow that.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I can see how it would be easy to interpret Miharu and Yoite having a romantic subtext. It can just be as easy to interpret their relationship as just a complicated friendship. The same thing happens with fans and girls' relationships in anime, so it's all fair.
Charlie_Conway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is no dub, but I'm sure the seiyuu cast is so super-famous you won't even miss it. There are no real extras on this bare-bones release (textless opening and closings! Woooo I just wet my pants that's so exciting). There is no dub, but I'm sure the seiyuu cast is so super-famous you won't even miss it. There are no real extras on this bare-bones release (textless opening and closings! Woooo I just wet my pants that's so exciting).

Might wanna fix this..
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I've been waiting for this all day to be honest, love your reviews Erin

I always wondered if You're under arrest was any good, I guess I just never thought i'd get into the "buddy-girl-cop" story. but I did like Dirty Pair, so I guess If I find the 1st season I'll check it out. (it seems like theres so much of it tho :/ i never know if the DVD i'm holding in the store is the 1st volume I need to see.

And for Sgt Frog. I think when they say "by the creators of gundam" I think they're referring to the Sunrise animation studio that produced both shows. I guess because "from the creator of Arcade Gamer Fubuki" or "from the Director of Sailor Moon and Pretear" didn't sound as appealing to put on the cover Anime hyper
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Manga and Foo Fighters-I can see this week's shelf obsessed contributor has very good taste Very Happy
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Nabari no Ou is one I still need to buy to pay off my fansub debt. I didn't finish it, but I did watch more than half of it, so I feel obligated to get it. It was a very pretty anime, but I lost interest due to some slow moving episodes. Maybe if I didn't have to wait a week in between episodes, it might flow better.

If nothing else, it'll be nice eyecandy.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:09 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
Y I guess because "from the creator of Arcade Gamer Fubuki" or "from the Director of Sailor Moon and Pretear" didn't sound as appealing to put on the cover Anime hyper

More people would know Sailor Moon than Gundam anyways. Anyways another great article Erin. I had an interest in YUA, but not reading that it is S2, I am not so interested anymore. It was good to see Sgt. Frog get Shelf Worthy. It quickly become one of my favorite shows when I started watching it, though I haven't gotten through the Japanese audio track yet, so I have no opinions about the Japanese audio track.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
I can see how it would be easy to interpret Miharu and Yoite having a romantic subtext. It can just be as easy to interpret their relationship as just a complicated friendship. The same thing happens with fans and girls' relationships in anime, so it's all fair.

So for Nabari no Ou, this is one of the few examples of "romantic two guy friendship", right?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:

So for Nabari no Ou, this is one of the few examples of "romantic two guy friendship", right?

For what it's worth, the gay jokes are easy to make, but it's not a shonen-ai, no. There is no canon sexual relationship, and one could not actually exist as far as what plays out.

Could they have romantic feelings for each other? Um...maybe? Probably? I think that's a very simple answer to what turns out to be a veeeeeeery complicated relationship between them. Either way, if you're looking for yaoi, there's none there or even anything remotely sexual, just thought I'd heads-up that detail.

To actually answer the question there: as far as I could tell, yes, this was a rare instance of the "romantic two guy friendship" that is not really a gay pairing. It's more complicated than that, and it doesn't appear that they want to make out or anything. In the context of the show, that's just silly. It's an action-drama, not a romance, and they're...not really gay. Not to any extent that the shonen-ai viewership would pursue that title.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what the reason for trying to hide that their You're Under Arrest release is actually season two? It seems like there is an actual effort to trick people judging from the description. Maybe Sentai assumed that they wouldn't get enough sales because people would obviously want to see the first part before buying the second. That probably is what viewers would do, but it doesn't seem right to hide it.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Very fair review of Nabari. They do sit around and talk about the plot A LOT. There were definitely flaws with that series, and I hated the ending, but there was still enough redeeming qualities to it that I'd like to buy it sometime in the future... when I finally have money again... which might be awhile...
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad Sgt Frog is getting so many good reviews. Hopefully, enough people will buy the DVDs that Funimation will be able to continue licensing the rest of the series! Woo~

And Nabari suddenly sounds so much more interesting. Huh. Funny, that. Wink
Ranma824

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ninja Nonsense

False Advertisment! Razz

When I read the column title this week, I thought she was doing 2x2=Shinobuden.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I wonder what the reason for trying to hide that their You're Under Arrest release is actually season two? It seems like there is an actual effort to trick people judging from the description. Maybe Sentai assumed that they wouldn't get enough sales because people would obviously want to see the first part before buying the second. That probably is what viewers would do, but it doesn't seem right to hide it.
Are you implying that Sentai would try to pull the wool over their customer's eyes in hope of making a sale? Who do you think they are, ADV? Wink Yet another epic fail. Rolling Eyes
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and missed Funimation's many screenings at conventions in recent years

Don't mean to nitpick such minor details, but didn't they only start showing stuff this year?

*looks over past news* Well, technically November 2008 if you include that test dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5