• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-01-22]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:47 am Reply with quote
Wow, that flake of the week has one hell of a persecution complex.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote
I think the nearest thing there's ever been to a Haruki Murakami anime series was Haibane Renmei, which riffs heavily from Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

If someone did make an adaptation for real, I'd want it to be the people who made Mouryou no Hako, which was one of those fantastic series that shows what Anime series can be like if they roll their sleeves up and make an effort.
swienke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:51 am Reply with quote
Having only read two of Murakami's works ("Kafka on the Shore" and "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle"), I can safely say that Kafka could never work as an anime, since the whole Oedipal aspect of it would scare away just about every producer alive.

However, "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle," could potentially work, if you had a really ambitious production team that wouldn't try and butcher the weirder aspects of the book. Ultimately, that's the largest problem: most of the charm and 'meaning' of Murakami's books come from the intersection of the main plot with the oftentimes non-sensical, dream-like aspects. Most producers would probably try and cut out the psychedelic aspects in order to get to the main plot, which would just ruin it. However, having said that, if it were SHAFT working on an adaptation I'd be more hopeful. Bakemonogatari seems to have a similar type of narrative style as Murakami's works, although it's slightly less disjointed, but considering how well that turned out...

Either way though, it's probably a pipe-dream.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:01 am Reply with quote
I hadn't laughed so much in any Answerman column than the one showing the DVD artwork for Ratatoing. The local discount stores where I'm at actually sell stuff from Video Brinquedo. The saddest thing about Video Brinquedo is that it's very likely Brazil's most successful movie studio.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote
i wouldn't mind anime in 3d cause if you don't want to watch anime in 3d you don't have 2. Also it will probably happen eventually so the less resistance the anime studios have the faster they can get good at integrating 3D. Lastly for anyone who doesn't want to wear glasses to watch tv guess they're making 3dtvs that don't require glasses.

p.s. anime was never about making great stories cause the dirty little secret of all story based entertainment, bad stories often sell more than award winning highly praised ones. cough*cough*transformers2*cough*cough
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote
That... was a REALLY bad CG cover.

To comment on the first question though, it's really interesting to think how anime would go mainstream...

I mean really, what NEEDS to happen, is that some super popular person somewhere needs to say, 'Hey you, blind masses who follow me on twitter, facebook, myspace, US magazine and whatnot, go see this and check out other things like it. Then you're cool.'

...So in other words, someone like Lady Gaga needs to approve of anime... right?

...Excuse me, I think I need to go throw up now. That sentence not only made me die a little inside but makes me feel an inexplicable urge to punish myself in a form of extreme discomfort.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:12 am Reply with quote
I'm not interested at all in 3D. Not even a little bit. If they want my money they need to make things that involve people like Yoko Kanno. Expertise can't be gimmicked into existence.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
A good response to the first question:

"Never confuse the 'faithful' with the faith."
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
The only time bad CG bugs me is when it's used for cars, instrument playing or typing. Just something about it being used in those instances drives me nuts. Using it for futuristic mechas doesn't bug me because they're futuristic, shiny and glowy and I think it works decently.

Kyogissun wrote:
I mean really, what NEEDS to happen, is that some super popular person somewhere needs to say, 'Hey you, blind masses who follow me on twitter, facebook, myspace, US magazine and whatnot, go see this and check out other things like it. Then you're cool.'

...So in other words, someone like Lady Gaga needs to approve of anime... right?

...Excuse me, I think I need to go throw up now. That sentence not only made me die a little inside but makes me feel an inexplicable urge to punish myself in a form of extreme discomfort.

You're right though. Look at Afro Samurai. I love the show, but it's not amazing and yet it's one of Funimations top sellers. Hell, it's a top seller for DVDs period, I believe. You know why? Samuel L Jackson. It's the name game at it's best.

I feel the same with Miyazaki movies. Sure, they're good (so says other fans), but I think if those movies were filled with Bandai regulars that your mom and dad haven't heard of instead of A and B-list actors, they wouldn't make as money as they do now. It doesn't matter if Steve Blum, Crispin Freeman and Wendee Lee are in them and they're fabulous dubs, because nobody other than us, anime fans, would know who they are and we're the only ones who would care.

I think that if companies put one or two "names" that can do it in the dub of a franchise that could appeal to the mainstream (I think Rin could've done this), it'll sell a lot better. Not mention you'd have trailers of others shows that could appeal to the mainstream on that disc and perhaps get more people to buy those as well even though they don't have "names" in them.

I know it's a tad different from what Kyogissun was talking about, but they're both using the power of stars to get people to buy anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:44 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
That... was a REALLY bad CG cover.

To comment on the first question though, it's really interesting to think how anime would go mainstream...

There are other ways for anime to become popular. For instance, anime needs to be advertised more in the mainstream, instead of just fansites. And it would be nice if we could get more anime on tv besides late nights on Adult Swim and a few premium cable channels. I think what Brian meant is that it would nice if people could be introduced to the wide variety of anime so that some of the negative stigma attached to it would go away. Plus, an increase in the fandom (preferably of the buying variety ) would mean that anime companies would no longer have to struggle to survive. Personally, I don't think anime would ever be super popular like video games but it would be nice if it were popular enough that most people knew what it was and have a better idea of what it's really like.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
The goofiest anime-related merchandise I own? That's too easy, the t-shirts from Lucky Star LE's, or those GOD panties from Shuffle. Laughing
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
Woo hoo! We're discussing Haruki Murakami on ANN! I've read just about everything he's published in the states, both his novels and short story collections. In short, I'm a huge fan.

I could see Windup Bird being made into an anime, but if you're looking for moe or tsundere, what about Kafka on the Shore? Yes, there's the Oedipal complex (but heck, we have that in other hit series like Evangelion), but don't forget Kafka's sister Sakura. She's older, but there are easy ways to turn her into either a moe or tsundere character. In fact, without spoiling Kafka too much, there are plenty of scenes where they could make his "mother" moe too.

Personally, moe and tsundere don't do much for me, but I think they could pull it off...

If the creators of Ghost Hound got together, they could do an awesome job with Kafka on the Shore. Seriously. Granted, it will never happen, but it's cool to think about.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:56 am Reply with quote
Good, well-integrated CGI in an anime? Check out the recent Rideback.

Meanwhile - wow, never thought of doing a Harukami book as a series, but a good director, maybe in the Noitamina time slot (which seems designed for more adult, not-just-for-uber-nerds stuff) might work?
geishageek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:57 am Reply with quote
A good example of bad CGI in anime would be Dragonaut. Those dragons looked horrendous compared to the crisp clean lines of the non CGI work. Makes me wonder if the CGI was cheaper than staying with the normal digital animation in this instance. It really brought down the show, in my opinion anyway.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:00 am Reply with quote
Omg... Youkai Warrior your the first question aren't you?! You said the same thing in the Yen Press Twilight thread. See, niche is nice and all but you can only go so far with it.

Really, otakus need to learn to be okay with liking something that's mainstream if it ever reaches it. For some reason Otakus become equally ashamed at liking what alot of other people like, as regular people would for liking cartoons or anime once your age reaches double digits. Naruto? Gah, freakin narutards (sarcasm). Bleach and Dragonball Z? Weebos and shonen dummies (sarcasm). Halo and Twilight? retards (sarcasm). Honestly, what is wrong with liking what you like and having other people liking it too? No need to be so self conscience or defensive or a need to negatively respond to something because someone made fun of you for liking in the past. It's okay when your 12 but come on now.

Also, did anyone else have a hard time following the flake of the week? I... I just couldn't keep up with the guy's train of thought. Which I believed derailed and somehow killed this guy's moe body pillow hence all the anger and incoherency.

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5