• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: To Love-Ru DVD Collection 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I really should go and finish this series - especially now that I have the DVDs. I stopped watching it in the middle of the episode where Lala's father comes back and spoiler[gave Rito an ultimatum]. It just got too heavy and serious. This show is far better when it's being light and funny. I can't even remember how far into it that episode was except that it was in the latter portion of the show. For all I know, I nearly finished it. LOL.

This is a hilarious show, but I think that it would have been better if it had avoided its attempts at drama. I just think that its frivolous nature can't support it very well - though I'm sure that there are those who'd disagree. However, my main point of contention with this show (which I believe I mentioned in the posts for the first review) still stands: as fun and funny as it is, by taking the weekly manga and trying to extend those short chapters into full TV episodes, things tend to end up too exaggerated and drag out. And that holds for both the comedy and the drama (though most of the scenes with dramatic tension in the anime did not come from the manga). Much of the stuff in the anime gets old fast whereas in the manga, the shorter format made it so that each joke or story generally ran its course in a fairly short amount of time and didn't get old - not to mention that if you didn't like one of the stories, it didn't last long, so you quickly got on to different stuff.

Good show. Good buy. Good review. I really should finish it one of these days soon. So much anime, so little time...
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
I ordered both parts, but this one arrived first so I jumped in anyway. It's not quite the old school fan service title for me (comparing to Burn Up Excess), maybe because it is concerned with romance, but it is a lot of fun.
There's a certain amount of inside jokes as the reviewer noted in the magical girl ep, but I also wondered at a small red invader voiced by Jouji Nakata (Giroro) in the hot springs ep. I also backed it up to double check Lord Carter of Planet Burroughs in ep 15. (Japanese fanservice ref to classic sci-fi adventure hero including the author's name?)
It made me laugh in several spots. It was refreshing we didn't have to focus on the girls every second, or even the main characters in every ep as witnessed by the magical girl & Saruyama's eps.
Yeah, I did note the lack of fan service on the guys. We get a shot at Rito's naked back & not only is the rear end blocked (come on-we've seen Goku naked more times than I can remember), what we see of his back isn't very well defined nor is Zastin the few times we get him shirtless while we get excellently drawn & numerous excuses to show the girls swiming. It's as though they didn't expect any chicks to watch after including Hiroyuki Yoshino & Takehito Koyasu.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1