• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Funny that Endless Eight was the part of the second season you mentioned, because Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody is much more important to Disappearance in terms of time travel (though not necessarily in terms of motivation).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm more of a Haruhi fan than a Yuki or Mikuru fan, but I am looking forward to seeing this movie sometime, and anxious to see it dubbed, as well (the benefit of a Yuki-oriented feature is having more Michelle Ruff for the dub).

Also, I must be one of those twelve Itsuki fans. I like his long-winded explanations and how Kyon reacts to them. Aside from Haruhi and Kyon himself, he's my other favorite character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I only read the summaries at the bottom because I didn't want to risk spoiling myself, but the plot is predictable? All the talk I have been hearing had led me to think the story was special... Or maybe it was just the cast. Well, I look forward to seeing it anyway.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
This movie might make me a fan of Haruhi again...

Anyways, after seeing the videos on Youtube and reading this review, I'm looking forward to this movie. Very Happy
xBTAx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Erm... should Yuki really be referred to as a robot? She's more like an artificial life form... thing. At least, that's how I see it.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow, almost three hours? That's great, I'm really looking forward to it now. Very Happy
Jacut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
A bit too long ? It's like 2h45 of predictable storyline where almost nothing happens and Haruhi appears like 30 minutes (I know it's precisely the theme of the movie, but a Haruhi installment without Haruhi is somewhat wrong isn't it ?) ? Although it may be a must-watch for any Yuki x Kyon die hard fans, for objective viewers like me, the movie really was a bore, especially comparing to the first season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
I only read the summaries at the bottom because I didn't want to risk spoiling myself, but the plot is predictable? All the talk I have been hearing had led me to think the story was special... Or maybe it was just the cast. Well, I look forward to seeing it anyway.
Like a roller coaster, you know where the entrance and exit are, but it's about enjoying the ride in between. Some points it traverses along the way are entirely predictable and some aren't.

Should also probably be noted that some of the big "twists" in the book just don't work in animation.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
This movie was at least a half-hour too long. Unless watching Kyon walk around is just so important. Anyway, my beefs with this movie are the following: spoiler[Kyon doesn't do anything to find Haruhi. Nothing. No, instead he mopes around and whines and cries and throws a temper tantrum but doesn't lift a single finger to find Haruhi. Instead he runs off to Yuki. And he spends a large amount of time trying to find some sort of clue left by the other Yuki (and it turns out that finding that clue didn't help him at all either). I would have liked to see him try looking her up in the phone book for instance. How he ends up finding her is one of the worst piece of writing (I imagine it happens in the novel the same way) I have ever experienced. He continues moping and is all like "Haruhi I miss you! Why does everyone think I'm crazy Haruhi? Come back Haruhi!". One of his friends pokes him on the back and goes, "Oh Haruhi? Haruhi Suzumiya? She goes to XYZ high school a few miles away".

I did an actual facepalm at this moment. I watched an hour of movie of Kyon moping and the only reason he finds Haruhi is out of pure random chance of that guy overhearing him? What a terrible and useless main character! Has he gotten so depending on Yuki's supernatural help that he can't do anything by himself?]

So yeah, needless to say that I enjoyed Evangelion 2.22 leaps and bounds more than this movie.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
Haruhi appears like 30 minutes (I know it's precisely the theme of the movie, but a Haruhi installment without Haruhi is somewhat wrong isn't it ?) ?

Not if the installment in question is called "The disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya". And didn't miss her much ^^

I agree with Megiddo. Kyon was rather useless and way too passive. But still liked the movie in general.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely adored this film. Sure it's a little bit too long but the characters are so well fleshed out it was a great experience to watch it. Saying the movie is predictable is a bit harsh though, there are at least 2-3 moments which took me completely by surprise and made me smile with how awesome they were. There are a few niggles here and there and it's not exactly an adrenaline ride but if your a fan of the series I highly recommend seeing it. It can't touch eva 2.22 though, but what can? :-p
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
Haruhi appears like 30 minutes (I know it's precisely the theme of the movie, but a Haruhi installment without Haruhi is somewhat wrong isn't it ?) ? Although it may be a must-watch for any Yuki x Kyon die hard fans, for objective viewers like me, the movie really was a bore, especially comparing to the first season.

I showed the first Haruhi series to a friend of mine roughly as it was airing. He thought that it was okay, but didn't understand all of the hype. He wasn't a big fan of the character of Haruhi. He liked the movie when we saw it at the SF premier, because there wasn't much of Haruhi in it. ^_^;

As far as comparing it to Eva 2.22, I haven't seen it (hasn't played locally and I haven't purchased the 2.22 BD since there is no translation on the disc), so I can't make the comparison. I'm not a big fan of the Eva franchise (while I bought the original ADV Eva TV DVDs as they were being released, I got rid of them long ago and never watched the earlier movies), but I did end up buying Funi's 1.11 BD when Amazon was selling it for only ~$13.50.
jeroz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
considering that the class was nearly the same except haruhi and you-know-who, and that another whole chunk of class just disappear to nowhere. It's easy to assume that it's a world where haruhi doesn't exist at all, especially when the downstream effect of her existence is absent (namely yuki and mikuru not acting the way they "should" have)

read the novel, yet to watch the film, so maybe Kyon's actions might be more passive than in the book.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Cake Eater wrote:
So this review is based where? A fansub?

The film was screened subtitled in San Francisco a few weeks ago.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
Not worth $11.50 for a movie ticket and $10 popcorn and drink. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2