• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kobato. GN 1-2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm really loving Kobato. It feels like CLAMP is going back to shojo basics after their little shonen detour with Tsubasa/xxxHolic. And I definitely welcome that. Smile
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
The problem with the flow of Kobato was that it was written really out of order. If I remember right, the seven chapters in the end of the first/second volume were the first ones written (that's how long CLAMP's contract was) and when they made it a full fledged series they went back to do the first super short ten chapters (which had a different name than chapters) and then after that they returned to where they had previously left off (and those chapters should also have a different subtitle). And when you add in the fact that they only have 14 or so pages in each issue for a chapter so they sometimes split up chapters not even the diehard CLAMP fans can tell you what chapter it's on.
Need to pick these up, at first I wasn't happy that Yen was releasing both at once (more to buy, ack!) but I've seen a few people review them and be really happy that the first two came out at once so I guess it was a really good idea.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:52 am Reply with quote
Excellent review! I remember reading the first chapters as installments in issues of Newtype USA back in the day. In the very first chapter, when Ioryogi asks Kobato what people do in the park, she immediately grabs a newspaper out of a trashcan, then lays across a bench with it as a blanket. I knew from that moment on I was going to find this series funny and charming and it is, as well as sweet and endearing on many levels as this reviewer said. You don't often see cute little girl characters get 'punished' to such the level that Kobato does, but since it's cartoonish it's also part of the series's charm. I was kind of surprised to find that there was going to be an actual story starting in volume 2, but it made me start caring about the characters and get really hooked, looking forward very much to the third volume!
sailorsean

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:20 am Reply with quote
Very good review! Now, if we can only get the anime licensed... Come on Funi! Wink
Dr Grant Swinger

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:05 am Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
Very good review! Now, if we can only get the anime licensed... Come on Funi! Wink

I hope the anime gets licensed too but I don't see Funimation doing it. They pass on titles that won't support a dub and the market for cute and sweet anime has never been very large. Sentai or Nozomi are more likely to bring it over. I'd love to see Nozomi do it.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:
sailorsean wrote:

I hope the anime gets licensed too but I don't see Funimation doing it. They pass on titles that won't support a dub and the market for cute and sweet anime has never been very large. Sentai or Nozomi are more likely to bring it over. I'd love to see Nozomi do it.

I don't know that I am interested in the anime, but I do adore Nozomi's Aria releases. The amount of bang for your buck that they provide is awesome. I can't remember any typos in all 54 episodes of Aria. Although I'm sure there might be one or 2. And the extras are art boxes are top notch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I haven't picked up these releases yet, so I have to ask... why does the reviewer refer to Fujimoto as "Fukuiosaya"? Is that a typo, or did they actually translate his name as that?
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
I haven't picked up these releases yet, so I have to ask... why does the reviewer refer to Fujimoto as "Fukuiosaya"? Is that a typo, or did they actually translate his name as that?

Nope, it's Fujimoto in the official release. I think the reviewer just made a typo.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

Nope, it's Fujimoto in the official release. I think the reviewer just made a typo.

Okay, good. Very Happy I was starting to get nervous. Thanks for clarifying!
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Was reading this when it was in Newtype a few years back, didn't care for it but the review has piqued my interest.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Almost picked up both volumes at A-Cen a few weekends back - sadly ran out of money before I could. Anime hyper
However, I still plan on picking this up. ^^
kuriousity
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Quote:

That typo was my mistake, yes - sorry about that! It's being corrected.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Nice review. It's worth mentioning that this takes place in the same universe as CLAMP's earlier manga Wish, and contains the main characters from it, though in supporting roles only.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Nice review. It's worth mentioning that this takes place in the same universe as CLAMP's earlier manga Wish, and contains the main characters from it, though in supporting roles only.

It takes place in the CLAMP-Verse, meaning just about everyone in their "modern" world is there. First volume had a ton of Chobits characters running around in the background, and then there's the old Fortune Teller from XXXholic Kobato spent New Years Day with. So far it's looking like a "where's waldo" type hunt, much like Tsubasa was.
yblees

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Just received my copy of vol 1 this week.
Lissa forgot to mention that the translator for Kobato is William Flanagan who does the brilliant translation for Del Rey's xxxHolic & Tsubasa.
And that there are two pages of translators notes, in fine print at the back.
I've never seen the translator given this much freedom comment in an English manga before - Good On Ya Yen Press!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1