• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Moonlight Mile DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The ending theme is pop garbage by the way.

The Pillows song Scarecrow is pop garbage? Confused

You condemn the series as predictable and crude in your review, yet it got pretty good grades. Seems a little inconsistent.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. After reading this review, I'm glad I that did not buy this at Best Buy the other day. If it is indeed nothing like Planetes (which I loved), I'm quite certain that I won't like this series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
oldyoshi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I bought DVD 1 on-line and after watching it I am sorry. I was hoping for another Planetes, but this one's going into my stack of bad choices.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
I hate to be such a prick, but I have to point out that "reification" is the conversion of a theoretical model into a concrete concept, as when Aristotle reified Eudoxus' and Callippus' mathematical models of the solar system and claimed that they described the reality of the universe. You seem to be using it in the sense of "to make royal," which is also what I assumed the word meant the first time I saw it... (Actually "reify" comes from "res," Latin for "thing," and has no connection to "reg-," "rule(r)." So literally the word means "thingify.") Unless you're just being too clever for me.

But thanks for warning me to stay away from the series---I'm another Planetes fan looking for a fix I won't find here...
slickwataris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying it so far, even if it's a little cheesy.

I don't particularly enjoy the ending theme either. The Pillows are great and all but their last album was a complete bore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:14 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
I don't particularly enjoy the ending theme either. The Pillows are great and all but their last album was a complete bore.

At first listen, I didn't think it was their best album either, but after listening to it more, it grew on me quite a bit.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, if this show isn't "manly" enough for certain people out there, I don't know what would be.
indrik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
You know, I can't really argue with anything the reviewer said, except that I liked it. I thought there was a good bit of gratuitous in the adult content, and it definitely felt like they were cramming two or three episodes worth of plot into each episode and kind of expecting us to keep up. But all of the pre-show hype I've heard has distanced it from Planetes for me, so I wasn't really expecting anything like that. I dunno, I'm going to keep watching it, though.
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched any episodes of the series yet, but I'm definitely lowering my expectations. A good thing perhaps, since I, like a lot of people it seems, was thinking it would be something along the lines of Planetes. If had watched the show with that mindset I would probably hate it, still I'm on the fence, I might wait for a price drop or a boxset.

Edit: It seems the Dvd is easily obtainable for something like 18$ instead of 29.99$, still it seems pricey for someone who usually buy boxset during special sales. Laughing
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
I kept wanting the show to be good, but I'm just completely not interested in any of the characters.
I loved the opening to the first episode; they should have continued from there instead of going into a long boring flashback.

I think the most recent Pillows' album is one of their best, and Scarecrow a really great song...but the TV edit really didn't do anything for me. Still not pop by any stretch of the imagination.
CerebralDivinity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I meant to post a response to this forever ago, but there was some weird account activation bug... and I never got around to it. Sorry for resurrecting the topic, but I also think it's a huge stretch to call "Scarecrow" by The Pillows pop garbage. It's not pop; it's not garbage. QED. I wasn't absolutely thrilled when I heard it, but it is one of those songs that grows on you. Similarly, The Pillow's latest Album was certainly different in style from their previous stuff, but not in a bad way.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
The pillows are NOT pop garbage!
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
More than two years after the fact is a little late for this kind of one-liner rebuke.

Locked.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1