• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
US Premiere: Oreimo 11: My Little Sister Can't Be This Maid (s)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainFalcon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE THIS EPISODE SO MUCH!

Between the things Ms. Normal says, to Kirino, to Kuroneko.

This episode totally made the series for me.

edit: You kinda messed up with the name here though, it's practically nonsensical.

"My Little Sister Can't be a Maid" works better, but it's not as thematic as the rest of the names, but it makes more sense.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Funny episode. I especially liked the receptionist peeking around the corner.

Does this mean that Kirino is finally softening up a bit? Say, 95% tsun and 5% dere?
DragonKnight76

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah! Great episode, looking forward to the next one.

CaptainFalcon wrote:
You kinda messed up with the name here though, it's practically nonsensical.

"My Little Sister Can't be a Maid" works better, but it's not as thematic as the rest of the names, but it makes more sense.

I think your version does fit a bit better in terms of proper English. And I think it is just as thematic as the other titles.

I notice the next episode will be the "Good End," will ANN be hosting "True End" as well? I so look forward to it as long as they don't go the hentai route.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=274837
nottimkai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
arrgh, what is this 'good end true end' crap (I know, a take on dating sim/ero games), and will true end be a take on School Days?

Kirino cradling her brother's rotting head and sailing off into the sunset and oblivion?

I know nothing about the original story, so I'm at a loss, really.

I still am having a hard time connecting with Kirino. I'm still much more fond of the entire supporting cast.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
The characters really are well developed and make this series very heart-warming ala Toradora which is another series that had fantastic characterzation in a familiar setting. And I agree that this episode is somewhat a turning point with Kirino showing a somewhat softer side to her brother. This anime could have gone down the perverted road numerous times, but hasn't, leaving the characterzation doing all the work. Looking forward to how this series ends. BTW, this series NEEDS to be licensed by someone next year, it's too good not to be. NISA? Hmmm?
anime engineer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
this anime truely was one to remember for years to come, anybody who doesn't think this anime is a #1 hit shouldn't be watching anime in the first place and doesn't know what good anime is, episode 11 was really awesome and i enjoyed it alot as well, she finally is saying thank you to the bro who has done everything for her
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote
Episodes like this are what makes the show so good. Very Happy
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:10 am Reply with quote
This show could make or break NIS. I'm voting for make Very Happy

Great episode. But...

The animation direction and style changed slightly, but they seemed to make the adjustment in the middle of the show. It's a little distracting but not that bad. However being that they spend a lot of time changing the opening and closing animation and songs, I think it would be better to put that effort into keeping the actual show animation consistent.

And wow, is Saori really only 15? I was expecting something closer to 20.
anime engineer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
same here with saori only being 15, she is bigger and more mature then even the brother, i swore she was at least 18 but guess not, appearently he is the oldest out of the 4
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, this episode did turn some gears for me and this anime, but I knew we'd get a "thank you" out of Kirini sooner or later. Though I still say that she deserved a slap back or two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
anime engineer wrote:
this anime truely was one to remember for years to come, anybody who doesn't think this anime is a #1 hit shouldn't be watching anime in the first place and doesn't know what good anime is, episode 11 was really awesome and i enjoyed it alot as well, she finally is saying thank you to the bro who has done everything for her

Eh? It's only getting about a B- over all out of me. Episodes 1-6 were a lot of fun, but things started going down hill with episode 7. Cute, but it tried WAY too hard between the non-date, the water, and the love hotel, ugh! That might get a C- out of me. 8 and 9 were horrible, Kirino's warp speed through the business is over the top even by anime standards, even real people in the business didn't like episode 8 (read the episode feedback). Episode 9 was like a step back for the entire series, kirino was nothing but obnoxious for the entire episode, she's easily the least likable character in the series, D-. 10 and 11 were a major step up, much more like the first six episodes I enjoyed, we finally got to see the real life of the other two girls in 10 while 11 had a few great moments and some rare sincerity from Kirino, B. Episode 12 will either make or break the TV series for me.

njprogfan wrote:
The characters really are well developed and make this series very heart-warming ala Toradora which is another series that had fantastic characterzation in a familiar setting.

Hmm, maybe I'm watching a different show than you, but I find OreImo to be seriously lacking in that department. Toradora was 25 episodes and could afford to build characters gradually over time and did it consistently from start to finish, but Oreimo has been rather shallow in that area. Kirino is still a bitch, she hasn't changed much at all, she's just more open about her otaku nature. Kyosuke is still a sucker trying to make her happy, he hasn't changed since the first episode. Ayasse is nothing but a plot device, someone that gets dug up when they need to advance story a little. Only thing we really know about Saori is that she's a super otaku, and while it's implied that she's actually very wealthy in episode 10 it hasn't been revealed to the other characters. Kuroneko is the most well rounded character, but again doesn't mean so much if the other characters don't know. The characters in Toradora were bearing their souls to each other, laying everything on the table in their own little enigmatic ways. Oreimo is suffering from its short run, it doesn't have the luxury of time to explore the characters so unfortunately they're doomed to their shallow lack of development. I'm sure the novels have the characters fully explored, but the anime is too short to do so in 12 TV episodes.

That's my take anyway, if you think it can stand up to a masterpiece like Toradora you're certainly welcome to believe that. Very Happy

BTW, am I the only one watching episode 11 and fighting the urge to shout "SHUT THE DAMN LAPTOP!!" at my monitor? I mean, ESC key be damned, it's a laptop, just shut it, nobody would even notice it was on.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kouryuu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, Translator here.

We were hoping to include it, but the player can't handle the characters yet so I'm posting it here.

Basically, the ED theme for ep 11 was riddled with Japanese e-motes, similar to the Lucky Star theme, and so here's the lyrics from the episode with e-motes and other symbols where they should be:

Lyrics wrote:
頭の中 ぐるぐる回る
atama no naka guruguru mawaru
Going round and round inside my head

世界 光景はカラフル
sekai koukei ha karafuru
the world’s scenery is colorful

脳細胞 刺激的 ドーパミンこぼれちゃった(*´Д`)
nousaibou shigekiteki doopamin ni koborechatta (*´Д`)
Stimulating to my brain cells, the dopamine overflowed (*´Д`)

土日のオフ 待機でうずうず
donichi no ofu taiki de uzuuzu
IRL this weekend and I’m antsy on standby.

焦燥感 こみ上げる
Shousoukan komiageru
Restlessness is welling up

早く会いたいよ
hayaku aitai yo
I want to see you soon

みんな一緒に スク水食べようかー(U^ω^)
minna issho ni sukumizu tabeyou kaa (U^ω^)
Shall we all go together to partake of school-swimsuits?

目を閉じても 匂いでわかる
me wo tojitem nioi de wakaru
Even if I close my eyes, I can tell by your scent

類は類を呼ぶ(゜∀゜)人(゜∀゜)
rui ha rui wo yobu(゜∀゜)人(゜∀゜)
Birds of a feather flock together. (゜∀゜)人(゜∀゜)

アキハバラ☆だんす☆なう!!
Akihabara ☆dansu ☆nau!!
Akihabara☆, dance☆, now!!

時代の影で フロアを沸かしているのよ
Jidai no kage de furoa wo wakashiteiru no yo
The dance floor is heating up in the shadow of this age.

ぎゅっと ぎゅっと 抱きしめて
gyutto gyutto dakishimete
Tightly, tightly, hold me close.

かまってくんなきゃ 液晶へDIVE
Kamatte kunnakya ekishou ha DIVE
You have to pay attention to me. DIVE into the LCD—

ゆがんだ愛を 包んでく
Yuganda ai wo tsutsundeku
Enveloping me in distorted love.

この力は
kono chikara ha
This power is

唯一無二だから 癖になるの
yuitu-muni da kara kuse ni naru no
one-of-a-kind, that’s why it’s addicting.

好きなモノだらけの
suki na mono darake no
A life filled with things I love,

毎日にJump!投げキッス!!
mainichi ni Jump! Nage-kisu!!
I’ll jump right in! Blow a kiss!!

好きな人と舞えー!!♪ヽ(゜∀゜)メ(゜∀゜)メ(゜∀゜)ノ♪
suki na hito to mae--!!♪ヽ(゜∀゜)メ(゜∀゜)メ(゜∀゜)ノ♪
Dance with the person you love!! ♪ヽ(゜∀゜)メ(゜∀゜)メ(゜∀゜)ノ♪
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
BTW, this series NEEDS to be licensed by someone next year, it's too good not to be. NISA? Hmmm?

Definitely hoping it is licensed. However, if finally getting an intro with names in/translated into English (not that we don't already know those four by now) really drove home how much I hope this gets a dub when the BDs come out. It'd be nice to watch the whole thing, without having to focus on the bottom.

PS - I also hope we can avoid subs going wall-to-wall again in the final episodes. Granted the overscan in how my stuff is currently setup is partly to blame, but there were quite a few times where it was a race to finish an overly long line (and skip around the parts cut-off) rather than scanning two shorter ones.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Well played.

It is good to see Kirino isn't really an unredeemable bitch after all, but the good part is that it was the brother that needed the growing up after all.

I wouldn't mind seeing another episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1