• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Infinite Stratos (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Available on TAN to registered users for free.

Encyclopedia here.

Didn't find a thread about this show so I decided to make one. If there is an already existing thread of this, please remove this one.

Synopsis (taken from Wikipedia):
Quote:

In the near future, a Japanese scientist engineers a powered combat exoskeleton called "Infinite Stratos" (IS). Possessing advanced technological combat abilities, Japan's IS easily defeat the world's military powers. This results in the start of a new 'arms race', with other nations developing their own IS, leading to the weapons becoming the mainstream of combat. Since only women can operate an IS, the power balance between men and women is broken, with women coming to dominate society over men.

Ten years after the first IS were introduced, the world has entered a new age of peace. The peace is shattered, however, by an unexpected discovery. A 15 year old Japanese boy, named Ichika Orimura, is discovered to be capable of operating an IS. Realizing the potential, Ichika is forced by the Japanese government to attend the prestigious Infinite Stratos Academy, an international academy where IS pilots from all over the world are trained. Thus his busy school life surrounded by girls begins.

My thoughts on the first episode: (I'm currently watching this as I post this)

Being a huge mecha fan, this anime was something I was bound to watch. While I only saw the first 5 minutes so far, it seems pretty interesting. There was some action and it seems decent. Most of the cast appears to females. This show seems promising, and it might become one of my favorites for this season. Other than that, I have nothing much to say.[/code][/list]

Last edited by EmbraceMe on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:01 am; edited 4 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I went into this with pretty low expectations but ended up enjoying it. Yes, this is Standard Issue Anime (meaning it won't win any creativity or originality awards) but it provides comfy meat loaf style entertainment for those of us who still dig this kind of storyline. All the classics are here: Violent Childhood Friend, Haughty Upperclass Blonde English Girl, Abusive Older Sister, Apologetic Glasses-wearing Big Boobed Teacher. Oh, there's also a chick in some sort of animal pajamas get-up that cracked me up. All in all, looks kind of fun.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Not too bad so far, but I feel as though I almost HAVE to watch the next episode in order to draw a real opinion on this show. I wanted to see how the mecha aspect would be handled in addition to school comedy. Guess I'll be watching the next episode.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:41 am Reply with quote
I like it thus far. Started out with some decent action, and also had some laughs too. It's basically anime "comfort food" at this point. It could be good, I think.
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
Nothing new, but I like the comedy and characters so far. Action also looks like it will be decent going off of the scenes before the opening.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
If it wants to rise above its generic ingredients it better start soon.

If anyone has seen something there that hasn't been done before raise your hand.

Not saying I'm dropping it immediately, it's generic but it's comfortably generic, and I probably won't have anything better to do than watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vastoceans

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I'll go with the "comfortably generic" line of thinking. I had no problem with the opening episode. It seems kinda self-defeating to go into every new show expecting something new and innovative. These type of shows can be a nice break sometimes. We'll see how it turns out. So far, unlike 99% of the 1-male to 1,000,000 female ratio shows, I don't absolutely despise the protagonist. At least he's not a total blushing wuss getting nosebleeds in every segment. In fact, he seems totally annoyed by/indifferent to all of the attention he's getting. That alone warrants an episode 2 watching for me.
diomedes21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
i feel this anime has potential, i doubt it will fulfill it because it looks like its going to be another fanservice filled harem anime
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I really don't know how a reviewer can say with a straight face this looks cheap when it has better animation production values than the majority of anime.... but hey it's clear she was just trying to join the party shitting on this show for being generic so why not add more generic negatives.

As for spending most of it's budget in the opening episode.. I don't think so... next episode's fight scene has good looking animation going by the trailers and the action scene from the start should look good when it's shown in full.

I have faith in 8 Bit to keep on pumping out good action scenes.. these are the guys who left Satelight to form a studio to make the Macross Frontier movies... Frontier's fight scenes never really dropped in quality from the start.. if anything it got better...

Spastic Minnow wrote:

If anyone has seen something there that hasn't been done before raise your hand.

Not saying I'm dropping it immediately, it's generic but it's comfortably generic, and I probably won't have anything better to do than watch it.

I can count with my fingers on both hands anime titles that have done "something new" in the last 5 years, I can count with one hand only those shows trying something new that are actually good. And besides while I might think a show is trying something new I may only be under that impression because I personally haven't seen it before. Does that show suddenly suck when I find out it wasn't the innovator?

I don't know why people look for originality in anime when it's clearly something you rarely see in it, not to mention that originality is hardly something that guarantees a show actually being good. You can have one of the most original shows of the year and it could also be one of the worst shows of that year...

I've always valued execution over originality, give me a well told version of something I've seen before over a clusterfuck that has some original elements to it. No idea's original there's nothing new under the sun, it's never what you do but how it's done.

The male lead in this show actually has a spine, knew what a bra was, didn't treat near nudity like it was something that burned your eyes and stood up for himself. He's already better than 99% of the descendants of Tenchi. And speaking of being related to Tenchi at least this show won't get overlooked like Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari did last year, that was another good lead for the genre in an good but unoriginal show...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
^^

True, but it is a little excessive in the line of "been there- done that."
It's not just a harem-lite show it's one in which the lead is the only guy who can pilot a mecha that usually only women can pilot- and since you bring up Tenchi, it's been done specifically in TWO Masaki Kajishima stories, the oft forgotten Dual and last year's Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari (my avatar) which was also set in a school. At least IS isn't set in a parallel world, otherwise I'd think this was just a failed ghost-writing audition.

Not only is there a stuck up girl with a superiority complex- she's a blonde English girl with curls even. Not only does he have a headstrong, slightly tsundere childhood friend, she practices kendo.

It's not just just that story is generally generic it has multiple very specific generic cliched characters and a story that, so far, has been done in a very similar way.

I guess a saving grace is the lead male. If he was the typical flustered character, or a pervert, I probably would have dropped it at episode one. Not that these guys are as rare anymore, it's merely a good choice.

But as long as the story they tell with these cliches is decent enough I won't mind the repeated story elements.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

I don't really think doing something new is synonymous with being good. Personally, if you combine two or more things I like into one thing it has the cumulative effect of making that thing even more awesome.
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

's not just a harem-lite show it's one in which the lead is the only guy who can pilot a mecha that usually only women can pilot- and since you bring up Tenchi, it's been done specifically in TWO Masaki Kajishima stories, the oft forgotten Dual and last year's Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari (my avatar) which was also set in a school.

That wasn't the case in Isekai. Male pilots were rare, but they did exist. Kenshi was just the strongest pilot, male or female.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I will make this short and sweet.

It has potential, and I think it can do that. I didn't think it really that bad of a episode. There needs to be more stuff explained which I hope the show may do, but I am not betting the farm on it.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
There needs to be more stuff explained which I hope the show may do, but I am not betting the farm on it.

There's a lot of background info but if it had spent 2 mins explaining it and cut the action scene you would have zero hook.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
There needs to be more stuff explained which I hope the show may do, but I am not betting the farm on it.

There's a lot of background info but if it had spent 2 mins explaining it and cut the action scene you would have zero hook.

I would have been hooked regardless of there was an action scene or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10