• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:40 am Reply with quote
What a coincidence. I had just picked up this volume last weekend. Everything I had read about it was very positive in regard to the characters and their development. The technical merits are the least of my concerns when I judge a show. I must say that everything I read was true. The characters are very compelling and I can't wait to see what happens next. I'm going to buy vol 2 this weekend, and thankfully, vol 3 will be out mid-July. Can't wait!
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I have to disagree with Theron on the point of a lack of "future vision" -- this is actually one of the most "realistic" sci-fi anime I've ever seen.

If you compare life today and life from 1940, the only thing that's really noticably changed is that there are lots of TV's and electronics everywhere. In Shingu, it's just all been taken up a few knotches in the general direction of where the industry is headed right now.

One thing that the casual observer won't notice (mostly because there was no way of translating it) is that everyone speaks in a slightly different sentence structure. I can't even find anything to compare it to, but it's very noteworthy that they even thought of how languages change from generation to generation.

Nice review, otherwise.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
I have to disagree with Theron on the point of a lack of "future vision" -- this is actually one of the most "realistic" sci-fi anime I've ever seen.

If you compare life today and life from 1940, the only thing that's really noticably changed is that there are lots of TV's and electronics everywhere. In Shingu, it's just all been taken up a few knotches in the general direction of where the industry is headed right now.

Anybody here remember what The Transformers vision of 2005 would be in 1985 when it came to cars and clothes? You got it right, 'nuff said.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

One thing that the casual observer won't notice (mostly because there was no way of translating it) is that everyone speaks in a slightly different sentence structure. I can't even find anything to compare it to, but it's very noteworthy that they even thought of how languages change from generation to generation.

Nice review, otherwise.

Planetes would be one of the most realistic sci-fi. Shingu is alright, the character design wasn't that good in my opinion, especially the geeky boy that wear glasses. The fight scene are very bizarre and defy the law of gravity and the whole alien invasion thing is odd at times.
Andromeda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The casing includes a reversible cover whose front and binder edge give the title in the original Japanese, an approach I have not seen done elsewhere which may be of particular interest to hardcore purists.

Actually, I have a copy of the first Cardcaptor Sakura movie that does the same thing with different artwork - probably using the original Japanese cover art. But it isn't often seen, true enough.

I'm glad to hear that Shingu has a nice booklet that comes with it. More companies seem to be doing that these days, and I like it. Gives the lazy/cheap people who only watch the fansubs even after the series has DVDs in the US more reason to buy the actual DVD, in addition to being a lovely extra to begin with (ditto for reversible DVD covers - I like the idea of being able to change your DVD cover, especially if the other side is nice - and for ADV's "Excel Saga Tapping Sumo" game kit. Extras like these make me want to buy DVDs even more).

I think I'll buy Shingu now. I like nicer animation, but I can look past that if the show is good and the DVD comes with a reversible cover and a neato booklet. Wink And I could use a good light-hearted anime. I get to watch stuff like that with the family, which is always good (I'll never forget the impression I have my brother when I showed him Akira, having never seen it myself. And him having never seen an anime before! Shocked Luckily, I showed him some better stuff - no offense to Akira fans, but it's just really not my thing, nor is it really my brother's thing - and showed him my Evangelion manga, so he knows there's stuff more up his ally in it). My mom (who's actually pretty cool) usually only agrees to watch anime with me if it's not all angsty. She'll watch Chrono Crusade, or Rurouni Kenshin, or even Excel Saga with me, but try to watch Evangelion? Only with those really funny audio commentaries that Manga Video put on the films' DVDs. Of course, the movies give even me a headache, and I actually like psychobabble and Kabbalic references (that said, I LOVE the Eva manga. Yoshiyuki Sadamoto is a god! Seriously). Laughing

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1