• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nozomi Posts Princess Knight Video Comparison, Announces Delay

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I like seeing the different comparisons of the video quality. I do wish they would have done this with Revolutionary Girl Utena and Rose of Versailles... Sad
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Delay, darn, oh well, quality takes time, still really looking forward to getting this once it finally comes out.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I'm not too sure of the new video, the contrast is kinda making things look washed out in the brighter scenes. Darker scenes show more favorable improvement. Sure it's preferable to the old video, but it could look better.
NeySnow

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
All this restoration and they still stuff up the release by going with the english version. They should have gone sub only, most Tezuka fans may skip this for that reason.. I am on the fence, but its looking doubtful that I will bother now.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
NeySnow wrote:
All this restoration and they still stuff up the release by going with the english version. They should have gone sub only, most Tezuka fans may skip this for that reason..
By that “logic” Right Stuf/Nozomi also “stuffed up” their releases of the 1963 Astroboy and Kimba the White Lion. I would have thought this release was mainly aimed those who has seen the original broadcasts of the show. Also I can’t think of any TV anime series from the 1960’s that has ever had a sub only release.
glitchhunter

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Pity it's dub only. If there was a sub I definetly would have bought this because the manga is a great read. Def not buying with only the dub available.
NeySnow

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
NeySnow wrote:
All this restoration and they still stuff up the release by going with the english version. They should have gone sub only, most Tezuka fans may skip this for that reason..
By that “logic” Right Stuf/Nozomi also “stuffed up” their releases of the 1963 Astroboy and Kimba the White Lion. I would have thought this release was mainly aimed those who has seen the original broadcasts of the show. Also I can’t think of any TV anime series from the 1960’s that has ever had a sub only release.

Well, they kind of did. Dub only isn't compelling enough with these shows, as they were pretty cut up in most cases.

I bought and enjoy the dubbed Astro Boy, but having the original version would be much better. The people buying these shows, the big Tezuka fans, would far prefer sub only.

I don't know how many older people who have nostalgia for the English dub would buy this release either.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
NeySnow wrote:
Dub only isn't compelling enough with these shows, as they were pretty cut up in most cases.

Isn't that the point? You're buying it for the original English language broadcast version, not the Japanese version. Generally people who bought Battle of the Planets, Robotech etc didn't buy the original versions of the show instead, or both versions. And I don't recall people complaining about a lack subtitled versions for Gigantor, 1960's Astroboy, Kimba etc. when they were first released on DVD.

Also, show me any TV anime series from the 1960's that ever got a commerial English subtitled release.

NeySnow wrote:
I don't know how many older people who have nostalgia for the English dub would buy this release either.

Well obviously Right Stuf/Nozomi knows based upon the sales of 1960's Astroboy and Kimba, otherwise they wouldn't be bothering with this release.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Oh, I like seeing the different comparisons of the video quality. I do wish they would have done this with Revolutionary Girl Utena and Rose of Versailles... Sad

Here are several images showing the changes between the Utena releases.
http://s1e1.com/2009/05/cpm-and-utena.html
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
The new video looks incredible! Very Happy I watched the first couple episodes through Nozomi's YouTube uploads, and while it's not really my type of show, there's no denying it's influence, and it has a certain charm that's really cool too.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
Here are several images showing the changes between the Utena releases.
http://s1e1.com/2009/05/cpm-and-utena.html

And now even that comparison is mud when the BD is out. It's not perfect, but good god is it a vast improvement on the DVD.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
^
Indeed, Utena's DVD & BD comparisons can be seen here & here.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
But then that takes us right back to the far too common reality that the Japanese are often going to charge a lot more to license out the BD version, impose significant delays, demand setting the MSRP at a nearly equivalent price across regions and/or attempt to cripple the U.S. release in other ways via lesser masters, hard-subs or what have you, thanks to all the concerns over reverse imports. There are exceptions, yes, but you know that sort of thing happens way too much to ignore.

Honestly, as long as the DVD is a major improvement over what was previously available, I'm usually in no rush to dance to that complicated tune just to get the BDs. Of course, this is all just speaking for myself. Thus, going back to the topic...I'm not sure if I'll buy the Princess Knight discs yet, but I do think the video quality looks very nice.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Man that's some restoration job.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Man that's some restoration job.

It's pretty typical, it's not even remotely close to the best we've seen for TV series. Berserk's and Escaflowne's BDs are fantastic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1