• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
We need more objectionable content ratings

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randomuser2349

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
The Objectionable Content ratings are a bit too abstract for the gradient of actual objectionable content. Some animes are labelled Mild, when they may be classed as either G rated up to TV-14/14+. For example, Shin Chan and Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi are rated Mild, when they have different age appropriateness. There is also a difference between a TV-14 and a TV-MA/NC-17 anime, yet both sometimes get lumped in the same category as Intense.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
The index page truncated the title of this thread to "We need more objectionable content."
I came here to endorse that idea.Razz

I think that having more categories and more specific descriptions is a good idea.

We actually had this discussion in this thread.
It seems that improvements are planned when future changes are made to the forums.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
partysmores

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I entirely agree. Another big example: Both Detective Conan and Barefoot Gen are Significant.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
The index page truncated the title of this thread to "We need more objectionable content."

Heh, I saw the same thing. I was like, "Wait, what?" so decided I'd come see what exactly the suggestion was, lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
randomuser2349

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
I entirely agree. Another big example: Both Detective Conan and Barefoot Gen are Significant.

Detective Conan kind of deserves the rating. I mean there are dismemberments and tons of gory stuff.
partysmores

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
randomuser2349 wrote:
partysmores wrote:

Detective Conan kind of deserves the rating. I mean there are dismemberments and tons of gory stuff.

Detective Conan is a children's show in Japan, and should not be in the same category as a movie depicting Hiroshima in which spoiler[we see eyeballs melting out of peoples' heads, childrens' final screams as they are killed in fires, etc].
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
objectionable content =/= age rating

IIRC, there's a post somewhere in the Encyclopedia forum that explicitly states that there are no age ratings in the Encyclopedia because they're too subjective, and you have the difference in Japanese and American sensibilities on the subject.
partysmores

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
objectionable content =/= age rating

IIRC, there's a post somewhere in the Encyclopedia forum that explicitly states that there are no age ratings in the Encyclopedia because they're too subjective, and you have the difference in Japanese and American sensibilities on the subject.

Still, Detective Conan and Barefoot Gen are not even close to being on the same level of objectionable content. It has nothing to do with age rating.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
However, they still contain content that some may find objectionable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
partysmores

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
However, they still contain content that some may find objectionable.

Yes, but the level of objectionable content is different. Detective Conan is a children's show and should be labeled Mild, however Barefoot Gen is a graphic war film and should only be rated a strong Significant, if not Intense.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Which brings us back to the basic question. We need more information as to why the content is objectionable. Some parents may be more accepting of the content in Barefoot Gen because of the context then they are of gruesome content used for entertainment value regardless of the intended audience in Japan. The word "significant" doesn't give you a lot to go on, sex, violence, language or racism, it could be almost anything.

Perhaps a text block could be used to provide a brief description of why the content is objectionable.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
For anyone curious, you could try checking the source of the rating, as that might contain additional details. When I submit an age rating I try to be clear about what made me give it that rating. (Language, nudity, violence. Had never thought to consider racism or drug/alcohol use before, though I can't think of anything I've rated that had racism.)

This one, for instance.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote
@ DerekTheRed
I see one word "intense" it is not linked (though that might be a solution) How would I determine that you submitted the rating and where you had posted information on this? I'm sure if you are very familiar with the encyclopedia it is obvious but I don't see the answer.

I realize that I could probably go to the internet and get a description of the show, but for encyclopedia entries to be useful you shouldn't have go outside the site to find what they mean.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:37 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@ DerekTheRed
I see one word "intense" it is not linked (though that might be a solution) How would I determine that you submitted the rating and where you had posted information on this? I'm sure if you are very familiar with the encyclopedia it is obvious but I don't see the answer.

At the bottom of the encyclopedia page there is a link to "lookup sources."
You can also set your preferences to show the links to the sources on the pages. That apparently is off by default. I did not know about it until I found it yesterday.
With that option on there is a link to the source right beside the rating. In this case it says "Watching the Anime: Nudity (featureless on the bottom half), both realistic bloody fighting and Kill Bill style gore, cursing abounds."
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Ratings are mandatory in the UK and Australia, so for anything that was released here or there you can find out what rating it was given and brief details as to why:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/
http://www.classification.gov.au/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2