• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Manga Sales Jump with TV Broadcast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote
Woohoo for Naruto!

I think we may have a new DragonBall Z on our hands here.
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
A show with plenty of comedy to keep people happy, is what DBZ was lacking. Some parts I caught of Dragon Ball were entertaining, but I never got the hang of long battles. Hoepfully, this won't happen to Naruto anytime soon. Hopefully, Naruto will get more people into manga, just because I'm a huge manga fan mysefl.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I kinda figured this would happen at some point. It's good that the anime is creating more fans.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was watching barnesandnoble.com's bestseller list in the manga section as the Naruto volumes leapt to the top. They were beating Fruits Basket for a few days there. I'm more than pleased, maybe if it becomes popular enough, Viz will serialize more chapters in SJ and it can be released faster.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I expected this. And I'm very happy for the franchise's success. I hope this creates a legion of new anime/manga fans.

Now, if only Rurouni Kenshin did this well.....
Ken-san

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:

Now, if only Rurouni Kenshin did this well.....

That probably had something to do with 2 things:
a. Rough edits of the anime

b. The manga was released long after the show had peaked on CN

Aside from that, I pretty much expected Naruto to do well, and I think the dub is fairly enjoyable. My 7 and 5 year old daughters love it. As for the earlier poster who said that Naruto hopefully won't fall into the same formula as DBZ, you can breathe a sigh of relief. While Naruto has some drawn out battles, it's nowhere near as stretched as DBZ was.

I don't think ANYTHING can be stretched out like DBZ was.

Ken-san
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Ken-san wrote:

I don't think ANYTHING can be stretched out like DBZ was.
Ken-san

That about sums up DBZ lol. Good thing Naruto isn't like that, although the fillers are somewhat annoying (which we already know) Laughing
bebop26

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Excellent! Naurto is great, and its good to hear the manga sales did well, and because of good ole' Cartoon Network.
And when we start seeing games and merchandise... I see it now. Posters, wall-scrolls, T-Shirts... the next Dragonball Z, but better in different ways. (I still like DBZ though)

Rurouni Kenshin would've done better, maybe theoriginalbilis, but I guess thats what happens when you target the wrong group. I'm hoping someday we'll see our manslayer return... on [adult swim]. But I still like Rurouni Kenshin, and I do look forward to the day we see Himura with less editing, who knows.
(dreams of Rurouni Kenshin Uncut on CN) Hey, you never know.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I'm curious to know how well the anime did on the second and third weeks on CN. I can't seem to find updated ratings info anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Demaar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:16 am Reply with quote
JTtheBrick wrote:
That about sums up DBZ lol. Good thing Naruto isn't like that, although the fillers are somewhat annoying (which we already know) Laughing
That's what the manga is for, though, no dodgy filler arcs Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote
think this will happen when Bleach gets licensed?
Demaar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:18 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
think this will happen when Bleach gets licensed?
Dunno, it's kind of hard to say. What is the appeal of naruto to these new fans? The kids being ninjas, the humour, the setting, or the action?
If it's the last three, I could see bleach doing as well, or better. Seems to be less people who rag on bleach for no reason than there are naruto haters...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bobobobobobobo
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
i only buy GNs that aren't in SJ iself...kinda pointless if you have every issue. but if you missed out on SJ, sure i would buy some GNs. Naruto is kinda hard to get the hang of at first, but after a few chapters you get it more.

i bet half of the people saw the show, and went to a bookstore, and were like "OOH! A NARUTO COMIC!" so they buy and then they're like "HOW THE !@#$% DO I READ THIS THING?" Smile

that was what i was like after i got SJ one...(i'm not the type of person who reads the beginning of a magazine. i just get to the point.) to be truthful, (and this was back before yugioh sucked) i only bought it for the card. but then i somehow learned to read it backwards. But still, all i read was Yu-Gi-Oh!. My friend got me into YYH, and i was like "if 2 mangas are good, i should try everything out."

anyway i got issue two and..

i tried Naruto. WAAAY too confusing. so it wasn't until recently that i got into it...im gonna buy the Naruto movie after i spend my money on Hunter x Hunter vol 2, Bleach 1, and Deathnote 1. And thanks to everyone who actually read all this. i wrote a lot. Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1