• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation TV Ranking, June 3-9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashura zoldyck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote
it's kinda crazy that attack on titan never makes the top 10 after all that success and beautiful animation it's been gettin
Correl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
ashura zoldyck wrote:
it's kinda crazy that attack on titan never makes the top 10 after all that success and beautiful animation it's been gettin

It's not that surprising really. Most of these shows air during the daytime/prime time. Attack on Titan is a late night show (airs at like 2AM), so it's going to have a much smaller audience than some of the others. It would be like comparing the viewing numbers of DBZ and Cowboy Bebop over here. One is a daytime show that got tons of exposure, while the other was awesome, but had a time slot that prevented truly "main stream" exposure.

That being said, it's an amazing show, and I wish it was in a more accessible time slot.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Attack on Titan could survive in a more accessible time slot - people being eaten on screen tends not to go over very well with moral guardians.

That said, I seem to recall one occasion that a late night anime snuck into the top ten - most of the usual suspects were on hiatus - but even Vividred Operation's massive premier numbers didn't get it over the bar, so it's not going to happen on anything resembling a normal week.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Hunter X Hunter has had no issues with people getting eaten on screen. I was actually really surprised that SnK didn't get a primetime slot.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
No, perfectly normal, like I said it here before, some of you are getting a little blinded toward shingeki and now people thinking why its not in the top ten with such huge "success"..

Like it was said above, this is LATE NIGHT anime, additionally, this is more in the realm of seinen. HxH is pure battle shounen. They are not the same.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Do not delude yourself. SnK is not seinen.
stazkun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
i dont think its popular in japan honestly i bet u if one piece was at 1 AM It would still be on this list
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
SnK is extremely popular in Japan. In terms of disc sales it will easily be the #1 show of the spring season and the manga has sold millions of copies since the anime started airing. It streams on Niconico I believe so there is not much incentive to stay up till 2 am to watch it. And even less incentive if you have DVR and can just watch it later.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:04 pm Reply with quote
stazkun wrote:
i don't think its popular in japan honestly i bet u if one piece was at 1 AM It would still be on this list

Doubt it (or maybe at the very bottom once in a while). It would drop in every demographic but even more dramatically in the kid demographic which is the biggest demographic for most if not all of these day time anime. Of course, when kids don't watch an anime, neither do their parents so that would be even more viewers lost. In fact, I don't think even Sazae-san would make the top 10 if it aired in a late-night time slot, most of the casuals (kids, some teens, housewives, middle aged men...) who turn their tv on at 6 pm on sundays would not bother.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1